Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is it possible to lower Marzocchi Shiver DC forks to 100mm
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Does anyone know if this is possible? Did a fair bit of googling and coulnt come up with anything, cheers 🙂

scaredypants

you know that’s 1kg for every 10mm travel, right ? 😯

(I’ve got an old SID somewhere that I wouldn’t mind putting up to 200mm – maybe we could do a swap of internals)

officerfriendly
    Free Member

No I don’t and I’m confused now lol. That sounds good! Is it possible to just swap the insides like that?? Even with different make and models? I mean I would’ve thought they’d use different, probably incompatible systems?

legend
    Free Member

Oh dear, he was taking the piss.

You could do it by faffing around with different length springs, would be lucky to find anything that would just drop in though. The big question really is why would you want to?

scaredypants

sorry guv, assumed you were sort of joking 😳

So, wasn’t being helpful or anything, but what I meant was “why do you want to reduce a shiver to 1
    100mm ? It’s a big old fork that I doubt would be much fun on a xc bike”

ndthornton
    Free Member

Is this for a fat bike by any chance?
    scaredeypants must have forgotten about the triple clamp SIDs from years gone by……

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Tandem?

scaredypants

Tandem?

Oh, yeah, accuse the guy of being a pervert !!
    (good call – hadn’t thought of that)

ndthornton
    Free Member

God knows what those SIDs are for – I meant does the OP intend to use the lowered Shivers on a fat bike. Might work quite well although heavy of course

T1000
    Free Member

if its for a fatbike, a set of Maverick SC’s would be a far better starting point

spacehopper

i think it should be possible..

you’ll need a set of (shorter length) 100mm springs..

and some top out springs that are longer (than the current ones) by the same amount the 100mm springs are shorter.. (

I think you’ll end up with 185mm (100mm travel) main springs and 50mm top out springs

send the guys at windwave an email though.. they’re very helpful!

I dont think ive ever used the word ‘springs’ so many times in one post.. 8)

*boing*

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Okay in my defence he did not sound like he was mucking about LOL and yeah it’s for a fatbike, surly 1×1 running 3″ tyres on 65mm rims, Shivers are the only option besides the Mavericks which are apparently really flexy? I wanted to use it for really thrashing about. I cant find any single crowns and the DCs look badass as **** anyway, and they’ll prob be quite a bit stiffer? Thanks Spacehobber! I will do that once I find a pair 🙂

breadcrumb

In your other post you said you weigh 45kg, I doubt you’d flex anything much!

Also if you find it to heavy and sluggish now, a set of shivers ain’t gonna help much…

amedias
    Free Member

You’ll need to be really careful putting a set of shivers on a fatbike, especially a steel one, it’ll start sucking nearby smaller bikes in with it’s own gravity, and you’ll be dangerously close to creating a black hole and destroying us all!

I certainly wouldn’t want to be flirting with physics in such a way…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for shivers weighing a ton.

Maverick SC32 or DC32’s would be a much better bet. Or even some single crown shivers. Or probably the best option, an older lefty can have the offset adjusted if you build the wheel offcenter.

cookeaa

If it’s USD forks for a Fat bike you want, would a Shiver SC, Dorado SC or if you fancy something modern an X Fusion Revel not make more sense?

Better to just flog the Shiver DC and use the proceeds to buy a more appropriate fork…

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Yup, DC Shivers are heavy, also only stiff in a fore and aft direction, there’s quite a lot of torsional flex from axle to bars when you turn, not ideal for huge sticky tyres.

trail_rat
    Free Member

iirc they didnt have huge clearance nayway – stuggled with 2.8 michelin comp32s -due to where the lower crown had to clamp on areas of correct diameter on the slider tube.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I think these days given that you can buy off the shelf fat bike forks, unless you have the machining abilities and facilities yourself, it’d be cheaper to just buy some Blutos. I think you’ll run into wheel strength limitations before the limitations of the Rockshox forks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mavericks on my fatty.

im twice your weight and my riding has been likened to a seemingly out of control pin ball when i get it pointing down. no fork issues as yet.

VanHalen

Cut the springs you have? Use the leftovers for top out bumper?
    I’ve no idea if this is feasible by the way!

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Well I was getting excited about destroying the universe with my black hole creating Shiver monster fatbike, but you guys have got some good points, I haven’t even bought them yet! The craziest thing is just a few months ago I sold a practically brand new set of single crown Shivers to friggin Japan 🙁 I’ll try and find some Mavericks then? I think I’ve found some, but the hub is a 28h and I need a 36h….Are there any reasonable hub options about? Or has anyone got one lying around in which case I will love you and give you moneyssss? xD

EDIT: Mavericks have just been sold, and not to me 🙁 got nothing now…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to lower Marzocchi Shiver DC forks to 100mm’ is closed to new replies.