Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is it possible to lose 5lbs of weight…
  • monksie
    Free Member

from a bike by taking off:
    Generic, basic, unbranded centre lock disc wheels
    Kenda Nevegal Wire Bead 2.2 tyres
    Rock Shox Tora 100mm forks
    Shimano Olivio (sp?) Octolink 9 speed chainset
    HG50 casette
    basic alloy stem, riser bars and seatpost
    for:
    Hope Pro 11 on tubeless xc type rims
    Tubeless Schwalbe Racing Ralphs
    Easton carbon XC risers
    Ritchey WCS stem
    FSA or something nice carbon seatpost
    Sram lightweight cassette
    XT 9 speed chainset
    Rock Shox Reba 100mm forks
    Maybe change little things as well like grips, saddle, pedals….
    The easy way, I know would be to weigh the parts on the bike to come off and research the weight of the parts to replace them but I don’t yet have the bike in my posesssion.
    I’m considering buying a bike that is a porky 31lbs but I only want it if it’s possible to get it down to about 26lbs with the above parts that I’ve mostly already got in my garage.
    Thanks

wwaswas

best bet is often to look ‘up’ the range of bikes fromt he same manufacturer and see what the ‘top’ one weighs – you’ll be unlikely to beat that without spendign lots of money.

RealMan
    Free Member

Think you might be missing the point a bit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, you’d probably save that in wheels/tires and forks alone.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the bike.

Might be economicaly better to flog the pile of bits and buy further up the moddle range though?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You can probably save 2lbs on the tyres.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe change little things as well like grips, saddle, pedals….

Depending on what you choose, you could easily lose one pound plus on the ‘little’ bits. IMO it’s there you can make a difference. Many OEM saddles weigh a ton. The BG jobby on my winter road bike was over 400g, and still far less comfy than a Toupe.

The wheels will yield the biggest saving, however:

Hope Pro 11 on tubeless xc type rims

Is very vague, and could be XM819s, at nearly 500g each, or ZTR Podiums at 290g each, which makes quite a difference.

Difficult to actually tell, some of your stuff isn’t that light (FSA carbon post), but some OEM Toras can be incredibly heavy, and you may save up to 2lbs there alone.

Stoner
    Free Member

Toras 2400g vs 1650g Rebas = 750g
    Nevegal Wire x2 + tubes 2850g vs RR + latex 1700g = 1150g

1900g x 2.2 = 4.2lbs

well on the way

cynic-al
    Free Member

have a lok on retrobike weight weenies for the weight of the new bling stuff, weigh the old stuff, bobs’s yer uncle.

monksie
    Free Member

“Think you might be missing the point a bit.”

Care to elaborate?

I could get the bike for a very good price, sell the cheap parts (admittedly for not much money), fit the parts I have and buy the parts I don’t have and hopefully, have a reasonably non hefty bike with nice spec. for not much cash.

This particular frame is double butted, next one up and beyond is triple butted.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Wear thinner socks and no undercrackers that should save a few oz’s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3rd option……

Buy an inbred or scandal or even cheeper, the brand-x XC frame (also sold as dirty-jo, hansome dog, arrow, etc).

Seeing as the OEM bits are probably worthless, a cheep frame might be a really good bet?

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Looks very doable but possibly not the great scheme I thought it might be.
    Thanks again

GregMay
    Free Member

What do you weigh?

Is it an option to loose 5lbs off you before the bike.

I am serious.

dangerousdan
    Free Member

I just dropped 5kg off my belly and it’s made a massive difference. 31 lbs ain’t that heavy… Swap stuff when it wears out.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

+1 for losing weight off yourself before worrying about the bike. I hear so many people worrying about minuscule amounts of weight on their bike whilst chugging a beer and ploughing through several packs of crisps.. In fact ride the heavier bike for a bit and then swap the components round -it will feel like cycling on air (like when you’re trekking and take your rucksack and boots off at the end of the day). I’ve got guns of steel from lifting my steed about!

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’d be looking at wheels, pedals, tyre choice, and tubeless in particular.

Spin
    Free Member

That whole “lose the weight yourself before you think of the bike” thing is a lot of pish.

I like beer and I’d much rather buy shiny bits than change my lifestyle.

So stick that in yer Acai Berry Smoothie ya bunch of sanctimonious tw*ts.

andrewh
    Free Member

I just dropped 5kg off my belly and it’s made a massive difference. 31 lbs ain’t that heavy

You weigh 31Lbs?! If you are more than about 6 months old, see a doctor!

tyredbiker
    Free Member

That whole “lose the weight yourself before you think of the bike” thing is a lot of pish.
    I like beer and I’d much rather buy shiny bits than change my lifestyle.
    So stick that in yer Acai Berry Smoothie ya bunch of sanctimonious tw*ts.

The acai berry one is nasty stuff Spin but I’m sure it would help your bowel movements shift all that sh!t you’re full of. I like beer and chips and probably have quite a few more than I should but then I’m not worrying about the weight of my bike either. If a beer belly helps cushion the landing mind don’t bother.

In fairness Monksie you could be as svelte as a roadie in which case I agree- tyres first!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Weight on a bike is different to weight on the belly. But if you cant afford XTR and titanium and nice carbon then go ahead and justify loosing weight from your belly as an viable alternative to the bike weight. But its not the same!

Northwind

First, weigh everything. Weightweenying without good information is doomed to fail in irritating ways

And for some reason some people think losing weight off the bike and losing weight off you are mutually exclusive- “lose weight off you before the bike”- why not both?

After a fair bit of work I got my 456 down to 25lbs, with fat tyres, a big fork and a dropper seatpost, and decently tough parts. Nothing that hampers it in other words. And it’s absolutely hilarious to ride. Bit of a handful sometimes but I can do things with it I can’t do with my 31lb full suss, it’s just plain easier to move. I couldn’t achieve that by losing 5lbs off myself.

A couple of years ago I lost around 5lbs off a bike and around 21lbs off me. The gains seemed to me to be roughly the same.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’m always worried about losing valuable pounds when I buy new light weight kit. 😯

Anthony
    Free Member

Stoner, Racing Ralphs and latex weighing 1700g?

Mine weighed in at 909g + 150gish of sealant.

Both the Use carbon Alien or KCNC seatposts are light and mid priced.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to lose 5lbs of weight…’ is closed to new replies.