Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is it possible to get a decent single speed setup on a full sus?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I can’t stand gears, and I’m like addicted to how good a stiff SS drivetrain feels, is it possible to get that on a full suspension? Or am I just going to have to build a hardtail freeride bike? Someone help me out please! 🙂

YoGrant
    Free Member

Works best with a swing arm that pivots around the bottom bracket like a kona Cowan.

I had some success with a ghost ring set up on an old Rocky Mountain etsx back in the day for tension. Kind of worked.

igm

Use the limit screws to add a locked out rear mech as a big chain tensioner?

tomaso
    Free Member

Horst link suspension can be OK. I roe most of Ullswater shore with a bodged single speed set up after mashing my mech in the rocks.

robbo167
    Free Member

Theres 2 older singlepivot Marins running as s/s down here on the southdowns..1 uses an old rear mech(not pretty) and the other uses an on/one doofer type of thing….they need 1 extra tooth on the rearcog (in comparision to a hardtail)because of the extra weight and complexity..apart from that they work pretty well.

qwerty
    Free Member

Old Kleins are sought after for this, I think they’re URT, which I think stiffens as you pedal & is active when you don’t.

nickc

Kona A, if you can find one.

smatkins1
    Free Member

An old GT idrive, wasn’t the whole point of them to keep the chain length the same during compression.

or a Klein Mantra, the bb is in the rear triangle so chain line will stay the same and more suitable for putting the power down when stood up, as you do when riding singlespeed

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Kona Cowan (as mentioned) Cove G-spot mk1. A few slopesytle frames, a Few DH bikes with a jack-shaft setup. maybe the DMR bolt? it is doable if you find the right frame

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for your replies everyone! And @Yogrant I don’t know if you noticed but that was my thread LOL
    And wow the Kona Cowan looks brilliant because the amount the arm moves looks miniscule! What is Ghost ring? Never heard of that before…

@igm
    I’m not sure how rear mechs go as far as adjustability, do you mean lock the spring out so it only moves slightly and then do the chain reasonably tight? Because if it’s possible to do that, that sounds like it could actually work…
    And thanks for your suggestions everyone, I already found a few frames that I really, really like, I’m getting both me thinks because I just can’t choose LOL (will sell one later tho) the Intense 6.6 and a Cove STD 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to get a decent single speed setup on a full sus?’ is closed to new replies.