Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • is it possible to convert a pannier rack into a seat?!
  • josina
    Free Member

Hope this isn’t a really silly question but I just wondered if this was possible (and legal!) I have got a Batavus Cambridge which I use as my main mode of ansport, I did have a bobike maxi at the back for my three year old and a leco child saddle at the front for my 7 yr old.
    I bought some much needed pannier bags today which unfortunately don’t fit with the bobike seat, I would still like to have the option of letting my seven yr old hop on for a ride as it is very convenient, does anyone know whether it’s possible to convert a rack into a seat? If this is something you have done i’d love to read about it and even see some pics if possible!
    I am toying with the idea of an xtracycle but it’s such a lot of money, not really an option at the moent.

thanks 🙂

TiRed

None for that age. What you need is a kiddyback tandem. A Dawes toucan was on Ebay recently for £300. That would give you more options.

rudedog
    Free Member

You want the 7 year old to ride on the back with the panniers attached?

spooky_b329

Is 7 too old for one of those saddles that clamps to the top tube…they sit in front of you and hold onto the bars either side of the stem.

takisawa2

Theres always a…..frankenbike.

21032010287 by pten2106, on Flickr

Yes, it did carry me & a 13st passenger, quite safely.
    No, it went in the great bike cull of 2010.
    But, being a tinkerer at heart I have another such contraption taking shape in the old grey matter, this time with 2 extra seats.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tubus racks will take a lot? 40 kgs IIRC. How heavy is the kid?

DrP

Tubus racks will take a lot? 40 kgs IIRC. How heavy is the kid?

Statistically, according to recent reports, a 7 year old will weigh 14 stone and smoke like a trooper…..

DrP

josina
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies, I saw a Pashley u plus 2 (which i’d never heard of until seeing one on ebay!l but unfortunately was outbid at the last minute!
    I’m not saying I want to plonk my 7 year old on the pannier rack and go but wondered if there was anyway of doing a cheapie d.i.y version of an xtracycle!

i’ve seen the Dawes twocan that is on ebay at the moment, the only problem is the cost of a coruier as it’s a fair way away!
    my 7 year old is really skinny, he weighs about 3 stone (his 3 yr old brother weighs 2 stone!)
    takisawa2 – that looks great, did you make that yourself? i’m pretty new to all things bike related but i’m keen to

josina
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies, I saw a Pashley u plus 2 (which i’d never heard of until seeing one on ebay!l but unfortunately was outbid at the last minute!
    I’m not saying I want to plonk my 7 year old on the pannier rack and go but wondered if there was anyway of doing a cheapie d.i.y version of an xtracycle!

i’ve seen the Dawes twocan that is on ebay at the moment, the only problem is the cost of a coruier as it’s a fair way away!
    my 7 year old is really skinny, he weighs about 3 stone (his 3 yr old brother weighs 2 stone!)
    takisawa2 – that looks great, did you make that yourself?
    I think a tandem is what I should be looking at, is it true they aren’t allowed on trains though?!

josina
    Free Member

Spooky – I have already got one of those saddles, the foot rests are almost ready to snap though 🙁 I think it’s probably about time he started pulling his own weight 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘is it possible to convert a pannier rack into a seat?!’ is closed to new replies.