• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Creg.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • is it possible to buy a decent gaming pc for less than £500?
  • racefaceec90

was just wondering (not that i have the money at present).i have at present an 11 year old dell pc that my friend kindly gave me.as you can imagine it is not up to it when it comes to modern games.would ideally like a pc that could play all the new releases without any problems (thinking of when skyrim comes out/crysis type games also).am i just wishful thinking,or would it be feasible to be able to get one (am not too pc savvy)cheers in advance 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I’d say you might be able to do it, it wouldn’t be able to play stuff on maximum graphics or owt but would be able to play them OK. That is if you don’t want any peripherals like a new mouse, keyboard, monitor etc…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You could certainly build one for that much.

mushrooms
    Free Member

You could probably build one based around a GTX560 graphics card for around that price.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I have this for sale at the minute

Custom built PC

“Custom build PC from Overclockers.co.uk in early 2010.

Features an Asus Maximus Extreme Motherboard, with Intel quad core Q6600 CPU running at stock 2.4Ghz (plenty of potential to overclock), Nvidia Zalman CPU cooler, plus twin RAM fans.nVidia Geforce GTX260 Graphics with dual DVI’s. 8GB DDR3 ram @1872Mhz.

Coolermaster 850watt power supply, LG Blueray plus pioneer DVD burners, 16x Card reader. Housed in a Coolermaster RC-1000 case with multiple fans. 6 Hard drive bays, with WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 150GB as main drive, plus 2x500GB 7200rpm’s in Raid 1 currently installed.

Software Windows Vista Home Premium, which will be clean installed and Retail pack with DVD included.

Machine was built purely for photographic and graphics work, and overdesigned to ensure stability, and cool running but has seen little use since build as have been working away majority of time, and hence have been relying on Laptop. Recent move to a smaller office means this impressive item needs to go to a new home. Scores mid 7000’s on Geekbench …”

Ive since pulled the Velociraptor drive out, and converted the two 500GB’s to a raid 1. Can add an 80GB Intel SSD for £75 if you prefer

£500 if you can collect from Doncaster / Sheffield or £525 if you need it couriered …

t.armstrong@me.com

Drac

If you can push to about £600 you’d get a very capable one that’s for sure. I’m going to upgrade soon and just going to go the full hog and get a new system.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/ The No brainer one on there comes up every few days add a GTX560 card and you laughing.

Kit
    Free Member

Unbelievably, PCs seem to have got uglier in the 10 years since I made a living building and repairing them 🙁

Drac

The pimpy looking cases became a premium after modding became so popular. I don’t care as it sits under the desk anyway and I’d rather spend the extra in the innards.

edhornby

You could get a bike instead

oliverd1981
    Free Member

just get an Xbox and save the PC for STW

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

try these

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/

depending on what you play stick all your money in the graphics card

racefaceec90

thanks everybody 😀 to be honest i might leave the pc for the moment (i do have a 360 to keep me going/can play morrowind on my pc 🙂 i will try and save up for a decent pc one day. i really should ride my bike more than i do 😳

Drac

just get an Xbox and save the PC for STW

Sorry mate but consoles are getting left behind again, until the next generation PCs are returning as the games rig.

thanks everybody to be honest i might leave the pc for the moment

Here’s a little something to put you off.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Who cares about pc’s these days? You’ll be able to play Skyrim on your xbox, and who needs more than that?

Drac

Who cares about pc’s these days? You’ll be able to play Skyrim on your xbox, and who needs more than that?

I think you’ll find the answer to that in the video above.

Looking forward to Skyrim too though.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Well I just bought a new PC for £750.

It has:
    i5 2500k Overclocked to 4GHz
    MSI Radeon R6850 Cyclone edition 1gb GPU
    650W PSU
    P8P67 LE Motherboard
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    Case + Fans + CD Drive.

You could easily buy a cheaper processor and not get a sandybridge version.
    Not get as much ram.
    Not get as high a PSU
    Get a smaller HDD

Added up around 500-600. It’s mainly the graphicss card you want to splash out on.

HTH

(Oh and I have been playing crysis and it is perfection.)

Drac

Plop you can get that system for around £600 easily.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

Creg

My latest system cost me just under £400 as I used some existing parts I had lying around. Final spec:

AMD Phenom 1100T Black Edition
    Corsair XMS DDR3 8GB
    Gigabyte 880GA UD3H motherboard
    XFX 9800GTX+ 512MB
    Seagate 500GB SATAII HDD
    Samsung BluRay drive
    Silverstone Raven RV02 case
    EVO Labs 750W Modular PSU

Only tried a couple of games but it runs them very well indeed. Sails through photo and video editing work too (which is the main reason for choosing the setup, plus I have a PS3, Wii, DS and 360 for games). Just needs the stock cooler replacing on the CPU and it will be done. If I had more money I would have gone for a Sandybridge setup but cash was tight.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘is it possible to buy a decent gaming pc for less than £500?’ is closed to new replies.