Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • is it possible to be a parent and win races?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

are you a parent?
    do you win cycling races?

if the answer to the 2 questions above are both yes, how much do you need to train and how fit are you?

there’s a lot of discussion around this on another thread and there’s no actual winning parents commenting, i’d like to believe its possible to train enough to win races whilst having kids, early mornings/late nights out on the bike etc surely make it possible?

i’m not after stealing your winning formula, after all i’m not bothered about racing, or being a parent any time soon 🙂

thank you for your replies though!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nick Craig seems to manage..

rogg
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought you meant the Dad’s race at School Sports Day. Winning that is definitely a faux pas.

philconsequence
    Free Member

whos nick craig and how much do we think he trains each week? do we assume because he’s probably out on his bike all the time that he’s not spending enough time with his kids? SO MANY QUESTIONS and assumptions.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S is a “winner”*, running previously, but now moving into triathlon over the next season or so. Has potential to rank nationally in her vet class.

Both of us being freelancers allows a certain amount of flexible use of time. We both have sufficient times during the weekdays to get out and about if we want. Mrs S is more of a day trainer, I prefer riding to the pub in the evenings. Hardcore me. And at weekends we give each other the chance to get away each day for some riding/swimming/running etc.

Running or riding with jr in the trailer is also good resistance training and doesnt require any babysitting.

* regular local/regional 1st/2nd place lady/vet at 10k/halfs etc. And has a 2nd and 5th place in the Snowdonia Marathon and a Championship start invitation for London.

donsimon
    Free Member

Julian Adrada seems to manage. 8)

crikey
    Free Member

Yes.
    Excuses are the stories we use to make our lack of trying seem ok.

jonba
    Free Member

I’m not a parent and I still rarely win races. Number of winners to participants is always going to be low.

Plenty of good riders are parents though.

legend
    Free Member

Crawford Carrick-Anderson seems to manage ok. Sam Hill is only getting top 5s at the moment though 🙁

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame won more races after junior was born than before. I haven’t won a race outright since he was born, the nearest being second in an off-road duathlon. Funny that.

philconsequence
    Free Member

will people please stop talking about people who i dont know. i want personal experiences like stoner!

i dont follow racing, i dont know who anybody who rides bike for a living is apart from jedi, that peatish bloke you lot go on about and that guy who can’t sit on his saddle cos his balls are to big according to the commentry chap on youtube.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

whos nick craig

Eh???

Really?? 😳

donsimon
    Free Member

Julian Adrada used to race elite in Madrid and win, he has a young family and a full time job, yet trains and wins.
    The link I provided was from 2008 where he was racing against elite riders and pros like Paco Mancebo, Hector Guerra and de Segovia and beating them.
    As of last year 2011 he changed categories to M40, over 40s, and winning everything.
    He used to do duathlons before concentrating onmtbing and was quite successful in the duathlon world.
    He is also a thoroughly nice guy.
    EDIT: He’s also run in Spanish National cup races and up against the best in Spain in Ciclocross in the Copa España.
    Next?

LoCo
    Free Member

whos nick craig

the guy that goes past you at about 300mph on the second lap of the STW Weekender XC 😳

and tells you off for not wearing a helmet on the pump track after you’ve crashed while a little halfcut 😆 😳

yunki
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought you meant the Dad’s race at School Sports Day. Winning that is definitely a faux pas.

thank god for that..
    I was in the top five for the first 10 yards this year (in a field of five) but it all went downhill after that..
    People were packing up and going home by the time I limped over the line.. 😳

jota180
    Free Member

I was consistently near the bottom of the results sheets after the kids arrived, so that’ll be the same as before they arrived then 🙂

MrSparkle

I’m a parent of 3 and I have won a couple of (albiet very modest)races, however maybe you should have a look at a couple of the Team JMC Titus on-one riders for inspiration. They regularly podium. Phil won Strathpuffer and Jase ‘Terrhawk’ Miles has won several UK 24hr races and recently finished second in the 24hr Worlds in Italy. Both have young kids. And very understanding wives… As to training – they do shit loads. Hth.

brakes
    Free Member

as the father of an 8 week old boy, I would say “not at the moment”.
    with a newborn, you would have to be a ****, have a very understanding co-parent, or be a professional sportsman/woman.
    I’m hoping to get back to some normal semblance of cycling as a hobby by early next year.

crikey
    Free Member

The bestest ever advice I got was from a mates dad when I was moaning about not having enough time to train.

He said:

If you don’t do it now, and keep on doing it, both as a mum and a dad, you’ll get to 40 odd and wake up one day wondering why you wasted all those years.

PrinceJohn

Bradley Wiggins seems to be doing ok…

fasthaggis

Yes.
    Been there ,done that.

Everyone has a different parenting experience,not everyone can do all their training on a commute,or have a family that enjoys going to races as a day out.
    It’s as Crikey says,you fit it in around the important bits.
    The first time you hear them shouting at the sidelines for you (regardless of what position you are in)is the best.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I think the question should be ‘Are you capable of winning races?’.

I used to be, I won quite a few in years gone by, but I’ve not even been on a podium for probably 8 years now and that’s nowt to do with being a parent.

I’d agree that now I am a Dad it’s probably harder to find the hours to train but the point is that I never seemed to find those hours anyway.

Go to a race and look at the winners of the masters, vets and probably sport cats and I suspect that the majority of them are parents.

Taff
    Free Member

My brother in law has three kids and wins races or at least comes in top 10 in mtb, cx and road

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s even better when you’re shouting from the sidelines and junior has just created the decisive break up the climb.

br
    Free Member

whos nick craig and how much do we think he trains each week? do we assume because he’s probably out on his bike all the time that he’s not spending enough time with his kids? SO MANY QUESTIONS and assumptions.

His kids are quick too!

aa
    Free Member

my buddy is a hope factory rider, and newly 2nd time dad, and won mayhem, his training consists of beasting himself on a (approx) 1 hour commute, each way, racing at the weekends and riding around the peak district on occasion

philconsequence
    Free Member

So we’ve established you can win races whilst being a parent. this pleases me 🙂

time to train has been mentioned a couple of times, i’m going to assume this is a pretty key factor….

so going back to the examples given, can you guys can say, with confidence if possible, that they manage to fit in a fair amount of training? Whether its a 1hr commute twice a day plus racing and the peak district (thats a good 10+ hours in the saddle a week) or whatever the other guys and gals do… that they, despite also having families and jobs in most cases, they squeeze in a decent amount of training each week?

for those with personal experience (cheers stoner for you’re example already) can you give us exmaples of how much training you do each week and how you fit it in?

apologies to everyone for not knowing who all the famous riders are 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

typical mrs S training week:

Mon/Tues at office
    Wed am Swim
    Wed pm 1-2hr run
    Thur day 1-2hr ride
    Fri day 1-2 hr run
    Sat rest or short run.
    Sun morning long (2hr) run
    Sun 8:30-9:30 fast pool work

However, she has a fubarred foot at the moment so is only riding and swimming. So schedule is much the same but total intensity is down as she is only riding or swimming for the same time that she would have been running.

singlecrack
    Free Member

It’s not about your family life or job …it’s about your motivation ….if it’s there you have half a chance

Edukator
    Free Member

We can both fit in as much activity/training as we want. 12 hours a week is typical rising to 20h before objectives. More is counter productive at our age unless it’s very low intensity such as walking or cycle-touring.

Swim + bike on Friday
    MTB with the club on Saturday
    Mountain walk on Sunday
    8h cycling on Monday
    nothing on Tuesday
    45min run today
    Swimming, biking and dancing tomorrow.
    etc.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Phil – can you win races? That’s the question. The guys who win races aren’t just fellas that fit in a bit of training. They’re bloody great riders with bags of skill and huge amounts of motivation.

Just being able to set ten hours a week aside to train isn’t even close to being enough.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps the correct question is: can you race and still be a winning parent?

Edukator
    Free Member

Racing is part of being a winning parent.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Personally I think its impossible with 2 kids.

Maybe once Ive given birth I’ll feel a little faster and hit some podiums.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Racing is part of being a winning parent.

Couldn’t agree more. My sons 6 months old and already been to 4 mountain bike races and a road crit. He’s surrounded by our friends, out in the fresh air and taking in new sights and sounds. I can only see it getting better as he gets older.

Course, if, somehow, I manage to win some races at the same time that would be even better 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Yes. Reckon I could still podium at a national without training at all.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 kids, but I’m prepared to commit to training properly for 24 hour races (5 or 6 of them a year) at silly times of the day – 5am starts, 4 hour rides after the kids have gone to bed, that sort of thing. I usually do pretty well.
    Also, being creative at other times can help – going to grannie’s? can you meet the wife and kids there?

Unlike some of the names already mentioned, I’m not a full-time pro. Despite having a few sponsors I’ve got a 9 to 5 job as well.
    I’ve got a very understanding and supportive wife.
    It can be done. Too many people have kids and practically give up IMO.

Edukator
    Free Member

Junior pedalled from Paris to Berlin aged 7 and remembers being left with the time keepers at X-C ski races when he was just old enough to stand up on skis.

theotherjonv

When Jens Voigt decided to start a family, Jens started a family.

Personal life: Voigt and his wife Stephanie have six children, the youngest being born January 2011.[4]

kcr
    Free Member

Yes, it’s possible, but in my experience you have to pick your races more carefully…
    I used to road race fairly seriously, and would love to keep doing that, but realistically it demands too much time with young kids. I try to get a racing and winning fix with short course TTs instead.
    For training, you can keep a surprising amount of base with a good commute. For the rest, concentrate on quality rather than quantity. That means intervals. Something like the Time Crunch training programme is worth looking at.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘is it possible to be a parent and win races?’ is closed to new replies.