Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is it possible to ban websites from my internet browser/laptop
  • tails
    Free Member

Essentially I spend far to long (2 – 3hrs a day) on a certain forum plus facebook, is there a way of permanently limiting or banning websites on my computer. I’m using a mac with chrome at both home and work.

druidh
    Free Member

But surely if we tell you how to do it, you’ll just undo it when you want?

ton

will power usually works for keeping me off the pron sites…. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I need this info so a colleague can do it for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ton, your doctor will prescribe you something if your struggling when you open up those sites.

……………………
    8)

tails
    Free Member

But surely if we tell you how to do it, you’ll just undo it when you want?

Well i was hoping it was enough of a faff that i won’t undo it. God knows how others feel as there are some who seem to be permanently online!!

geoffj

<serious answer>
    There are usually options in the router setup to allow you to block specfic URLs, or URLs with specific words in them.

samuri
    Free Member

Obviously the best thing to do would be to apply some willpower. Next best thing would be to give an expert who will do some stuff without telling you what it is and then you’ll never be able to access them.

But the most likely option is set up parental controls. I’m no MAC expert but I’m pretty sure all MAC’s come with aprental controls with which you define which websites can be accessed during which times.

Hang on…..

Yep, here you go.
    http://www.thewwwblog.com/setup-parental-controls-mac-osx.html

rs
    Free Member

if it asks you to set up a password to protect the settings just randomly hit the keyboard, that way you won’t be able to get back in unless you’re very lucky!

FuzzyWuzzy

A simple way (but easy to undo) would just be to edit your local hosts file (I’m assuming you can do this on a Mac…) and either give the websites you want to ‘block’ an invalid IP or redirect them elsewhere.

allthepies
    Free Member

As per FuzzyWuzzy, find your “hosts” file and add an entry as follows:-

siteyouwanttoblock.com 127.0.0.1

That’s it 🙂

To re-enable access just delete the line from the file again.

cranberry
    Free Member

LeechBlock for Firefox

It is all you need ( if you don’t have enough self control).

mos

By getting a life?

tails
    Free Member

Cheers guys, maybe I’ll go back to firefox as leechblock sounds good. Although I really like chrome’s web address bar and search engine function.

Cougar

HOSTS is the easiest way. This is just a text file in (usually) c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

You could also do it using OpenDNS – blacklist the sites you want to avoid. http://www.opendns.com/

thebunk

If you want to carry on using Chrome, you can create a script to do stuff like this. I believe it also works in Firefox, not sure if you need to do anything different.

In notepad, or whatever you can create text files in on a Mac:
    [list]
    [*] create a file called siteblocker.user.js (anyname as long as it ends “.user.js”.[/*]

[*]Copy and Paste this in:[/*]

// ==UserScript==
    // @name Block Singletrackworld and Facebook
    // @include http://www.singletrackworld.com/*
    // @include http://www.Facebook.com/*
    // @author thebunk
    // @description Stops access to the best website in the internet – whoever wrote this should be ashamed of themselves. The author accepts no responsibility for anything bad that happens, ever.
    // ==/UserScript==

window.open(“about::blank”, “_self”);

[*]Save the file.[/*]
    [*]Drag the file from wherever you saved it onto a Chrome window and hit “Continue” where the file appears at the bottom, then “Install” when the dialog box pops up[/*]
    [*]Try and go to your beloved sites, time-wasting scoundrel…[/*]
    [*] 8)[/*]
    [*]If you want to disable it, just ask (I’ll never tell though)[/*]
    [/list]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to ban websites from my internet browser/laptop’ is closed to new replies.