• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is it OK to “stop” in front of a dropped curb?
  • I say stopped because I was only a minute and the engine was not even off, and I just received a four-letter barrage for it whilst dropping some of my children’s friends off.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

well, if the dropped kerb was leading to the drive of my house and you were stopped in front of it while I was trying to get in/out I’d ask you to move. Politely I hasten to add – I wouldn’t have shouted sweary words.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

bigsi
    Free Member

one of my pet hates, don’t get me started 👿

Shakey
    Free Member

A four letter barrage is definitely not warranted. If you stopped in front of mine whilst I was watching then I think I’d know you were just dropping off. Just don’t stay long mind!!

BigJohn

“This is a bit of the road outside your house that you don’t own”

Zedsdead
    Free Member

A person doesn’t own the road but they will have a permit to cross the pavement. And I like to park in the drive, one less car on the road etc.

grumm
    Free Member

Yup, unless you are blocking someone wanting to get in/out then why shouldn’t you wait there?

markyd

A pet hate of mine that has resulted in more than 4 letter words on a couple of occasions (and I don’t mean 5 letter ones).

If the person is still in the car I don’t mind, it’s when they leave the car there and pi$$ off blatently blocking in our 2 cars that I loose it. It’s a regular occurance here.

uplink
    Free Member

Not quite true grumm

If anyone is parked in the drive – you cannot block them in but if the drive is empty you can park without any obligation to anyone wanting to get in

Zedsdead
    Free Member

yeah, we need more details

miketually
    Free Member

You mean a dropped kerb for getting onto a driveway, or a dropped kerb for allowing wheelchair users to cross the road?

grumm
    Free Member

If anyone is parked in the drive – you cannot block them in but if the drive is empty you can park without any obligation to anyone wanting to get in

Maybe legally but if someone was there wanting to get in while you parked you would be being a bit of a cock surely?

uplink
    Free Member

Maybe legally but if someone was there wanting to get in while you parked you would be being a bit of a cock surely?

absolutely – but you could park it & walk if you wanted
    I’m not sure I would but you can

Yes. Dropped curb. White lined. Stopped on it.
    I was “unloading” children, literally letting them out of the car and so as to be off on my merry way but inadvertantly blocked the resident coming back home – onto their driveway / front of house.

therealhoops
    Free Member

cost me £35 last time I parked partly over a dropped kerb to the closed entrance of a park, **** traffic warden was waiting round the corner gggrrrrr

donsimon
    Free Member

uplink – Member

absolutely – but you could park it & walk if you wanted
    I’m not sure I would but you can

I’m confused, so if there was a parking space available for the home owner to park in and walk, surely the offender should use that space. Or am i missing something???

Double parking and being blocked in is commonplace here in Madrid, the rule being that you don’t stray too far from the car if you are the blocker. The blocked when returning to the car simply sounds the horn until the blocker comes to move their car, usually no more than a couple of minutes, more than enough time to buy ciggys, a paper or drop thekids off. If it more than a couple of minutes then maybe people start to get a bit pi$$ed off.

Some people really do need to get a life, hardly crime of the century… 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

How long were you there for?

I have asked people to move like bin men as I have been late for work but always asked without swearing.

I managed to get into one car and move it down the street with the handbrake off…owner was not happy but I was off to work!

johnhoo
    Free Member

‘stop’ yes, ‘park’ no.

If the homeowner could see you were dropping people off & gave you a mouthful of abuse, then he/she is being a wee bit impatient & needs to get a life.
    I occasionally find cars parked across my driveway, and it only upsets me if I want to get out of the drive. I had one geezer once give me some verbal – he & his wife were in her car, she had parked across the driveway while he went to the shop round the corner. There were about 4 car lengths of emptpy space immediately behind her, but that would have meant him having to walk an extra 30 feet or so.
    While I was politely asking her to roll her car back a couple of lengths so I could get out, hubby turns up & starts mouthing off…

druidh
    Free Member

For info – the law was recently changed and it is now illegal to park in front of someones driveway whether or not there is a car in it. Previously, it was only an offence to prevent access to the public road.

As for stopping/unloading I can envisage a situation where doing so would stop someone getting into their drive and they’d be holding up all the traffic waiting on you clearing off (no need for bad language though).

project
    Free Member

It is now illegal as druidh says above the law was changed to get even more money for sod all for the councils.But really to allow wheelchair users free access to the road to cross.
    Perhaps if youd had a hard day at work, felt a rumbling in the stomach of the shits, and some muppet was parked accross your drive while a gang of non mobile kids got out of a strangers car,how would you feel,cant kids walk now.

PePPeR

Its a massive pet hate of mine too, if you stopped in front of my kerb you’d be getting a barrage of words from me too.

I used to live next door to a newsagents in a small vilage and Jeez were people rude, until I reversed my landrover straight through someones door one day when they parked across my access as I was trying to get out. I was white lined and everything to try and prevent people parking and they still stopped in front of my driveway.

Spongebob
    Free Member

There are some screwball people out there. Patience – zero, eager to unleash all their frustration on someone perceived to have wronged them for the slightest thing.

I used to live in a flat with a single driveway accessing the garages and parking spaces at the rear of the property. One afternoon, some numpty blocked it off. The stupid thing was that there was a space either side of the drive, two completely legal places to park!

After 2 hours I called our local constable and he suggested that we drive across the small lawn in front of the front fence in order to get in and out. This would have been quite difficult due to the high kerb and the fact that the grass was pretty waterlogged, not to mention the resulting damage to the lawn. The constable didn’t give numpty a ticket! So I concluded that it must be legal to obstruct a driveway!?

Stopping and obstructing a driveway whilst still in your vehicle is entirely acceptable behaviour. It’s a public highway and it’s not like you are preventing someone coming or going. The angry twxt should have kept is trap shut!

The problem is our streets are too crowded and councils have an active policy which discourages the provision of adequate parking. The thinking is that we should all give up our cars and go by public transport, or on foot. We had yellow lines put in here a while ago, most weren’t needed, but the displacement issues are very bad. I have offstreet parking, so am unaffected, but lots of other people now have a lot of hassle parking – stupid! The reality of modern life is that we don’t have time to take public transport and it is too expensive to boot. People get hacked off when they’re hemmed in and on top of one another, so tempers are likely to fray.

The solution is to move to a lower density area where people are less tense and aggressive. Yeah right! New Zealand?

Bez

KERB. CURB IS A VERB.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is it OK to “stop” in front of a dropped curb?’ is closed to new replies.