Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is it ok to ride if you have flu/a cold/cough?
  • Karinofnine

Mornin'

I was due to go riding with some friends (who are much faster than me so I always get a good workout) today. BUT I've been off work and in bed with aching joints, headache, sore throat, temperature. Yesterday a cough developed and I've pretty much lost my voice although I do feel a bit better.

I bloody love my off road rides and miss it and get grumpy if I don't go but I read somewhere that it's bad for you to train if you're not well.

What does the Singletrack Massive think please?

robgarrioch

I'd say no – got symptoms not-as-bad-as-yours after a night ride 2 weeks ago, thought it felt better last weekend & did 3 laps of Lee Quarry, had bad cough since that just won't go away. Frustrating, but better to let yer body recover, I think.

Anthony
    Free Member

No.

Above neck then fine albeit go gentle.
    Below neck then you risk serious problems with your heart.

clubber
    Free Member

No chance. Of course a really easy ride may help recovery but that mean REALLY light. Eg not tired at all afterwards and not out of breath at all during.

saxabar
    Free Member

If proper ill then no, but if early symptoms then yes. I find that a good blast out clears the system and prevents onset of something nastier.

Anthony
    Free Member

Oh, and if you really did have flu, you wouldn't even be wanting to turn the computer on let alone go ride, so rest assured you haven't got flu.

teagirl
    Free Member

I'd go with all the above. There has been a similar thread recently, sounds like it's on your chest so no, don't go, recover first.

clubber
    Free Member

saxabar – Member
    If proper ill then no, but if early symptoms then yes. I find that a good blast out clears the system and prevents onset of something nastier.

so the best way to get rid of something early on is to supress your immune system by training hard? No chance.

Karinofnine

Oh, and if you really did have flu, you wouldn't even be wanting to turn the computer on let alone go ride, so rest assured you haven't got flu.

That's how I was on Thursday, when I came home from work early (by train instead of bike) and crawled into bed and cried like a girl… oh, I AM a girl

Thanks everyone I kind of knew that would be the answer 🙁 got new tyres yesterday too

Bummer

Dancake
    Free Member

I was starting to feel a bit virusy on Monday when I was out. When we stopped for lunch I was starting to feel quite battered and didnt do much afterward.Woke up the next day and couldnt believe how rottten I felt; like I had been stabbed in both biceps, both thighs and wrists. This lasted a few days and I even broke the magic 40 deg temp for a bit but it didnt last long 🙂

Feel better now but I have some wicked ulcers on my tongue…

I wonder if it had been quite so severe if I hadnt gone out and got very cold, wet and tired

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

clubber – Member

No chance. Of course a really easy ride may help recovery but that mean REALLY light. Eg not tired at all afterwards and not out of breath at all during.

I believe this is correct.

Gentle exercise can help – but it must be gentle. Hard exercise with colds is linked with sudden adult death syndrome. Don't risk it

qwerty
    Free Member

get well soon. x

Hard exercise with colds is linked with sudden adult death syndrome.

😯 😯 😯

accu
    Free Member

NO !
    a mate did this a couple of years ago, stating that the ride will help him to recover quicker..
    3 weeks later he had to go to hospital and stayed there for for 2 months….with serious cardiac problems caused by the infection he had…
    (by the way..he was well trained and fit at age 32….BEFORE..)

Karinofnine

qwerty – Member

get well soon. x

Thanks – sorry I couldn't make it

x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is it ok to ride if you have flu/a cold/cough?’ is closed to new replies.