Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is it now cool to be a PJ Harvey fan?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

As above.

racefaceec90

have always been a fan of hers (since i heard rid of me,back in early 90’s) 🙂 if being cool means that you like beeper/glee rubbish then you can keep it!

konabunny
    Free Member

hope so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some of her stuff appears listen-able these days, so probably less so.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Always has been.

Raindog
    Free Member

eviljoe – Member

Always has been.

+1

househusband

Was a big fan very early on, as soon as I first heard ‘Sheela Na Gig’ but I went off her a bit over the next few albums – just a bit too ‘noisy’. But loving her current album.

househusband

Was a big fan very early on, as soon as I first heard ‘Sheela Na Gig’ but I went off her a bit over the next few albums – just a bit too ‘noisy’. But loving her current album.

dr_death
    Free Member

Dunno, but she’s always been good….. We float is still one of my favourite songs and hugely under-rated.

p.s. Househusband – if you can get hold of a copy of last months procycling magazine there was an article init you would probably be interested in – about Team Type 1, an american road team who all have type 1 diabetes…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was cool until about 10 years ago.

chewkw
    Free Member

It has never been cool to be a fan of anything.

It is cool not to be a fan. 🙄

noteeth
    Free Member

A nursing colleague (a proper Dorrrrrset girl) knows her well.

I’ve been a fan for years, on and off. I’m still fairly scared of her, mind.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I think she’s always been great, would love to record some stuff with her.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

The Desert sessions stuff she did was cool
    some of the rest if very good

she’s a bit marmite

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When was it uncool to like PJ Harvey? Not sure she has ever been mainstream if that’s what you mean. Probably came closest with Stories From The City….which is my favourite album of hers.

tang
    Free Member

She is a friend of my mums and I used to get signed albums, always with ‘all my love Polly Jane’ new album is brilliant.

CountZero

It’s only ‘cool’ to like some artist or other if you’re sad enough to worry about what other people think about your musical taste.
    I like PJ, have done for years, but I also like some ABBA stuff, some Carpenters, Mary Hopkin, Faith No More, Zeppelin…

dogbert
    Free Member

Only took real notice of her in the last couple of years, bought Stories and 4 Track, listened to them a lot and bought the rest, does that make me cool…….no.

Started listening after watching a documentary on Sky Arts and Micheal Stipe and a chef were talking about her and it reminded me that i missed a lot of great music. I’m sick of modern music to the point i rarely bother with anything by artists who came out post about 2000, nothing really captures what i love about music.

The good thing about music though is there is the possiblity of always discovering new stuff that isnt necesarily new

donsimon
    Free Member

Some of her stuff appears listen-able these days, so probably less so.

Not sure she has ever been mainstream if that’s what you mean.

This was my point in that the new album seems to be getting a lot of main stream play and might signal the end of some of her better work if she starts writing for the bucks. First PJ album I bought was Rid of Me when it first came out, 50ft queenie is guaranteed to get me jumping. I wasn’t looking for guidance on how to be cool CountZero or how to choose music to like, but thanks anyway.
    For those who know her, perhaps you could tell her that it’s not only the English that make up the British army and fight British wars!! 😉

Don’t sell PJ!

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“I think she’s always been great, would love to record some stuff with her.”

I have, worked on three album tours and a load of other bits and bobs with her now, an absolute joy to work with, bursting with inventive ideas and prepared to let musicians working with her to do their own thing as well.

iDave
    Free Member

cue stalking of tadeuszkrieger by MrNutt

I’m so like cool and have liked PJ Harvey for years, but the two aren’t necessarily connected.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

He can stalk all he wants, it’s not me real name and I live in a cave 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

she’s a bit marmite

She’s a bit Marmite even if you’ve liked her from day one.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t sell PJ!

That should read “don’t sell out, PJ!”

You survived then iDave?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

i dunno. but it’s not cool to want to be cool.

eviljoe
    Free Member

‘To bring you my love’ is the best bedtime fun album ever. 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s definitely not cool to worship celebrities who ever they are.

🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

i dunno. but it’s not cool to want to be cool.

Who wants to be cool?

It’s definitely not cool to worship celebrities who ever they are.

I know and I also find it quite embarrassing, particularly when people feel they have a need to speak to me, not because they have anything interesting to say, but simply to be seen talking to me. 🙄

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Is it now cool to be a PJ Harvey fan?’ is closed to new replies.