Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is it normal to ding a rim and not get a pinch flat?
  • jairaj

After a fabulous few days biking in the Peak District, I got home, cleaned the bike and upon inspection I noticed two medium sized dings in the rear rim. The tyre is still seated and inflated but the dents in the rim are easy to notice.

Is this amount of damage to a rim possible without pinching the tube or damaging the tyre? I would have expected the tube to give way before the rim or a mark on the tyre side wall. Just wondering if this is normal or if the rim may be a faulty?

I don’t have much experience of this, I’ve only dented a rim once and that put a cut in the tyre side wall, so looking for experiences from others.

Northwind

I’ve had it happen, though I think only with downhill tubes. But it is unusual imo

creamegg
    Free Member

loads of dinks, dents and knocks in my rims. No damage to tyres though (tubeless)

scotroutes

Yes

jairaj

Ok thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like its rare but totally possible, no big evidence to suggest the rim is faulty. I’ll try bending the dents back if that fails I’ll just order a new rim.

SaxonRider

Is it normal for creamegg to have ‘loads of dinks’? I think I might report him.

tomd
    Free Member

Very common, especially tubeless. Most of my rear wheels have a few dings, but never punctured.

I’d be very careful trying to straighten the dings out. Good chance the rim will crack when you try and bed it back. IME better to leave it, unless it’s so dinged the tyre won’t seat.

chambord
    Free Member

I’ll try bending the dents back

If you do this don’t use pliers straight on the rim it’ll make a mess.

Have a look at this.

mjsmke

I get this on my single speed on most rides. No pinch flats with tubes.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’d say common. My dh rims are at the replaceable stage after whistler. Never had a flat though

amedias
    Free Member

If the rims are made by DT Swiss it’s almost odd if they don’t dent.

My 540s are peppered with them and I’ve only flatted a couple of times on those wheels.

Took a 4.1/420 (can’t remember which) off the rear of a friends bike during a rebuild not all that long ago and we counted 11 proper dents, and numerous small dings, at least half of them he couldn’t even remember how they got there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is it normal to ding a rim and not get a pinch flat?’ is closed to new replies.