Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is it my eyes or are things getting smaller?
  • highclimber
    Free Member

We bought some Shredded Wheat the other day for the first time in years (normally a weetabix man but fancied a change) and I noticed that not only are they in packs of two now, the biscuits look decidedly smaller than I remember.

Is this:
    a) a symptom of companies trying to save costs?
    b)Companies trying to make us eat less?
    or
    c) my eyes deceiving me, they have always been that small, just my belly has gotten bigger?

Any other examples people know of where this might be occurring?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Dr Oetker (sp) Pizza.

tiny

nealglover
    Free Member

People always seem to think Wagon Wheels are half the size they were when they were kids.

They aren’t. They are practically the same size. We just got bigger.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s either price up or size down to cut cost.

1. Price up – customer will not buy or buy less.

2. Size down – price remains the same but customers think they are buying the same but in fact the quantity is less.

Have a quick look at chocolate bar, bread (supermarket in-house baker), sugar (not 1kg but 750g) etc … they are all over.

🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Both A and B, and 1 and 2.

CountZero

Snickers and some other bars are 5gm smaller, now, for the same price, to fight the obesity epidemic, apparently.
    Which is bollox, it’s the manufacturers putting the price up by stealth, paying the same for less.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Eu guidelines state they have to be under a certain calorie content so i read in the news the other day.

Stealth tax on the fatties 🙂

tron
    Free Member

There are two angles.

The first is cost cutting. Pack sizes are routinely manipulated to hit certain price points, particularly for “single pricepoint retailers” – ie, pound shops.

The second is avoiding regulatory risk. The confectionery manufacturers have realised that the worst case scenario is that they could be the new tobacco industry. As a result, they’re gradually manipulating pack sizes down to avoid being made to put health warnings or GDAs on the pack. Which is why you can’t buy a “king size” of anything these days, but you can buy a two pack – you claim it’s a sharing pack, and instead of being 30% of a day’s calories, it’s 15% per portion…

Bregante

It’s true. Curly Wurly’s were definitely at least 18″ long when I were a lad.

In fact this photo of the Walrus of love back in the late 70’s proves it beyond all reasonable doubt.

Kryton57

It’s your age dear, everything shrivels….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is it my eyes or are things getting smaller?’ is closed to new replies.