Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is it mozzie time?
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, thinking of going to scotland late June, and was wondering what the situation is with the mozzies then? Its not that i’m being a bit of a pussy, I have an allergy!!

druidh
    Free Member

Never had any mozzie issues in SCOTLAND. And I’ve lived here for almost 50 years.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes Druid but you’re Scots aren’t you? They go for us English.

druidh
    Free Member

Really? I wasn’t aware there was a huge mosquito problem in Scotland. The midgies probably eat them.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I got bitten by some evil ba$tard mossie up in Forres (Moray) last week. Calf muscle all swollen up, rock-hard to the touch, bite up in a big red lump. Never had a reaction like that to a mossie before.

Must have been an English one trying to invade or something.

druidh
    Free Member

Probably a cleg. Was it hot, still, dry weather? That’s when they’re worse. My cleg bites come up about the size of half a golf ball. Nasty buggers. Silent approach and a big bite.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve had a cleg bite through my trousers – nasty

stevomcd
    Free Member

Aye, thought it must have been a cleg as well, but was back in the same spot the next day and there were mossies having a go, so I was blaming them.

Only good thing about clegs is that you feel them when they bite, so you get a chance for payback!

ton

what is a cleg??

druidh
    Free Member

Edit: NOT life size

colande
    Free Member

mozzies present at cwmcarn,
    had to stop to repair puncture and they had a feast on me,
    serves me right for getting a puncture i suppose

ton

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ticks are just horrible, but I get 1/2 per year. Did you know they are related to spiders?

poly
    Free Member

Has anyone tried: http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/

Mikeasaki – Late June is normally “in season”. How bad will depend on the weather (both longer term and short term) and locality (both area and specific site). Did get bitten a bit last week whilst doing trailside repairs at Carron Valley.

bruneep

A Scottish Midge earlier

GW
    Free Member

Shame he had to wait until he was bald for his face to grow big enough to fit his forehead

mickasaki
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, not to sure i can put up by being attacked by 80’s pop stars though (if you could really call him that)!

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Was eaten alive by midgies on Skye last week- huge red welts which looked bad but no real discomfort. Were only baby ones don’t fancy chances in another week or two.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is it mozzie time?’ is closed to new replies.