Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Is it more tragic when……..
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

A British person dies or when someone from the other side of the world dies?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it's more tragic when someone 'famous' dies

iDave
    Free Member

who are these other people you suggest may exist?

anonymouse
    Free Member

It's tragic when somebody dies as a result of a character trait. Any other death can be sad, touching, regrettable, moving. Any number of things, but not tragic.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

How about in a war then? 😐

KT1973
    Free Member

I think I see where your going.
    A lot of depends how it's portrayed in the media ie "he died fighting for his country" as if we should be proud. I'd be devastated if any of my family were killed in this bullshit war.
    The muslim fighters and civilian casualties are seen as collateral damage and it's harder for us to relate to thier plight- they're considered evil and therefore fair game, when in reality, they are also the poor kids being used as pawns.

bassspine
    Free Member

It's more tragic when someone the reporter can make money from selling the story dies

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think it depends on how pretty they are too.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that wasn't true for Jade Goody though

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Was it tragic that jade died, or tragic that we had the misfortune to know about her in the first place?

ton

you are born, you live, then you die…

tragic………………no, just your life cycle.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – can you hear a distant 'shulpa poppadom' from on high?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"When the lights go out
    When they cut your phone
    When you laid off
    When you home alone
    When you with your girl
    Everyone around the world
    On a Sunday afternoon
    When you're with your crew

Shit happens."

BobaFatt
    Free Member

i think this pretty much sums it up for you

family guy

avdave2

you are born, you live, then you die…

"Seems so unfair I want to cry"

Harry_the_Spider

It was tragic when Princess Di was assasinated… I was sat at home with a broken shoulder and there was **** all on telly apart from sad music for a week!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just laughed out loud at Harry, and not in a phonetext way!

Outstanding 😆

ton

😆 😆 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

1 brit = 10 furriners = 100 dusky skinned fellows.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends on your perspective surely?
    eg. An American war death is tragic, but less so than a British one, IF YOU'RE BRITISH, but the other way round if you're American.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ are you being racist?! 😆

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mr Woppit and ton – stop it.

Harry's wearing his "I'm dead funny me I am" badge again.

carlosg
    Free Member

Surely if your a solider and die whilst fighting as part of your job then no it's not tragic. If you sign up then you do so in the full knowledge that it is your job to fight wherever your country decides to send you and you could be killed doing so.

Your family, friends and general public should be proud that you gave your life for them. IMO.

backhander
    Free Member

It's tragic when the reason for fighting is so questionable and the people who sent them so morally corrupt.
    Also, if that's your point then is it tragic when a firefighter or policeman dies? they also know the dangers/risks of their chosen profession.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

TJ are you being racist?!

Too subtle a pisstake of the jingoistic attitudes that some display?

All lives are of equal value

jojoA1
    Free Member

It always interests me that those who die for their country are always hardworking, upstanding, model soldiers. Are there no workshy slackers who were a bit of a d*ck killed in the line of duty? Maybe they're all in the NAAFI….

CountZero

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    It was tragic when Princess Di was assasinated… I was sat at home with a broken shoulder and there was **** all on telly apart from sad music for a week!

Fortunately I was on holiday in central France the week of the funeral and missed all the hysteria.
    The loss of any life is a tragedy for those close to the one who's gone.

coffeeking
    Free Member

All lives have equal value, but not necessarily equal impact and effect on the observer.

headfirst
    Free Member

basically what tj and ck said is sort of right, in terms of how it impacts on us as individuals:

your (friendly) neighbour dies = big impact, big tragedy
    someone you've never met living in Belarus dies = little impact, less 'tragic'

IMO the circumstances dictate the level of tragedy, eg. age of casualty, number of dependents left, etc.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Is it more tragic when……..’ is closed to new replies.