Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is it me,the shifter or the derailleur that is wrong?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Bought a Tiagra 4700 front shifter from ebay but i cant get the set up right. I cant work out if the shifter is actually a triple although i think on triples it would say 4703 and possibly have window which mine does not. I have been sold a dud shifter though it appears in very good condition. Its not compatible with my 105 derailleur, either way i can seem to get it to shift to the big ring on a double. So what am i missing and how do i confirm i have the right/compatible bits?

taxi25
    Free Member

You should be able to get it to work, but your not the only person whose had trouble. There’s a set up guide on this thread.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12976309

blader1611
    Free Member

Unfortunately thats not specific to my parts, i have set up loads of drivetrains before so the procedures isnt an issue but something is just not right but i can seem to pinpoint what it is. Will start from scratch again this weekend as i was rushing it today.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

You should be able to pull on the inner cable whilst changing gear up & down to see how many positions it clicks into. Should be 2 for a double & 3 for a triple. Each position should be counted including the starting one.

blader1611
    Free Member

John – i think this is why i reckoned my shifter was a triple as i am sure there were 2 definate clicks. If that is the case can i make it work with a double if i use the 2nd and 3rd click for shifting and then use the hilo setting to restrict it from any accidental shifting to the lowest shifter setting.

tillydog
    Free Member

i think this is why i reckoned my shifter was a triple as i am sure there were 2 definate clicks.

You know that the 4700 has ‘trim’ function, don’t you? That gives an extra click (or two).

Instructions for setting up:

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-FD0002-05-ENG.pdf

blader1611
    Free Member

Could it be a pull ratio issue then as its a 105 FD although i am not sure which so i will try and find the model number on that. The FD work fine when using my tiagra 4600 shifter but that has a different ratio to the 4700 series.
    I think i really need to confirm model numbers here so i will have a thorough look tomorrow when its daylight.

amedias
    Free Member

Go to shimano site and check the tech docs compatibility chart, I know the 4700 is an oddity at the rear as for rear shifting uses the 11speed pull ratio, but I have a feeling it got changed at the front too…

blader1611
    Free Member

I can confirm the front Derailleur is 105 5700 and my shifter has been stamped as 4700, will they stamp the triple with 4703 or will they leave it as 4700 to signify which range it belongs to? I cant seem to find if 4700 and 105 5700 are compatible at the front.

EDIT: found a great website called celebrazio.net which compares all the shimano components,it tells me that mine are NOT compatible.

amedias
    Free Member

a triple would say 4703, double is 4700

If you front der is 5700 then thats old 105 10 speed, and you have a pull ratio mismatch…

Shimano site is always a great resource, and from the horses mouth so to speak

Compatibility charts here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is it me,the shifter or the derailleur that is wrong?’ is closed to new replies.