• This topic has 65 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Is it me, or is lane 3 hogging on the increase?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

user-removed
    Free Member

but folk riding my bumper annoys me too:

Left foot braking. Does the job every time – watch them try to get their heads around your stop lights whilst you disappear, courtesy of your right foot.

Requires a bit of practice if you don’t want to break your nose on the windscreen 🙂

Rich_s

This thread is a cheap troll. It’s like empty carbs: it feels good for a moment but it’s ultimately unsatisfying

How very dare you 😛

This thread was the troll.

Interesting how these sort of threads change as they go.

peterfile
    Free Member

Left foot braking. Does the job every time – watch them try to get their heads around your stop lights whilst you disappear, courtesy of your right foot.

So, lightly on the brake whilst accelerating at the same time? Must try that on the way home from work 🙂

Rich_s

Just don’t try it in a VAG group car…

slackalice
    Free Member

Two basic rules of the road for motorists in the UK:

Keep left unless overtaking
    Give way to the right.

Alternatively, when additional lanes are built onto existing motorways to help ease congestion (excepting the rule of rubbish fills space available), why oh why do they always add the new lane on the LHS of the carriageway? Surely, as everyone uses the right hand lanes, it would be better to add the new lane on the RHS of each carriageway.

Vote for me.

aracer
    Free Member

I think the main issue is that it would be extremely inconvenient for some folk – for example those living in the highlands and islands, or west Wales.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What, in the same place as the opposing ‘fast’ lane? I vote for you!

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps insist on it prior to driving on the Mway then spo those who dont live near them dont need to worry about it?
    I had Mway driving lessons – i think i had one two hour lesson after passing – and found it very useful tbh

slackalice
    Free Member

😀

You get it, thank you!

GrahamS

I think the main issue is that it would be extremely inconvenient for some folk – for example those living in the highlands and islands, or west Wales.

Yeah tricky that. Not sure what the solution is, maybe we should need a special “M badge” or something to be allowed on the motorways after passing a second-stage motorway test?

bails

Thing is, there are plenty (not necessarily in all areas, I admit) of 2 or 3 lane dual carriageways with 70mph limits. Motorways in all but name, so you can go on them with a driving instructor before you pass your test. A three lane, 70mph dual carriageway is no different from a motorway in terms of driving style/disclipine/’etiquette’.

I was lucky in that I was taught to drive, whereas I had friends who were taught to pass the test. One had never gone faster than 40mph or gone above 4th gear, never driven on a dual carriageway or a twisty, national speed limit country road. Plenty of them around here, but the instructor took a chance on it not coming up on the test.

But, in any case, I’m sure these people know what they’re doing. E.g.: “I don’t like driving near the edge of the road” not “I didn’t know I was meant to be on the left”. They just don’t care enough to drive properly. Like tailgating, amber gambling, speeding, not indicating etc, 99.5% of drivers know it’s wrong, but it’s quicker/easier/more convenient for them so they do it.

MrOvershoot

Just be glad your not on Rich_s’s text joke list 😮

flicker
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member

Pootling to Manchester on the M56 yesterday in lane 3 – as is my god-given right in my company repmobile – came across a civic in lane 3 who wouldn’t move over. Nothing at all in 1 or 2. After about a mile, I gave it/her a flash, as by now we were being passed by vehicles on the inside.
    There followed a brake test and hazard flashing, erratic steering and speed changing (up and down by about 10mph). Eventually I got the hint, into lane 1 and filtered past when her speed varied.
    She was still in lane 3 a few miles later, queue of traffic behind her, lots of inside filtering.
    I’ve been seeing a lot of this recently. Often when it’s quiet, and the drivers often move over and then rejoin 3 despite the absence of traffic in 1 and 2.
    Any insights as to why?

? what are you, a man or a mouse?

You’re in the company steed, just rub their rear bumper until they get the message.

nickewen
    Free Member

“but folk riding my bumper annoys me too”

My new technique for these folk is to flick the rear fogs on for a few secs to faux brake them… (need double rear fogs for it to work). Seems pretty effective so far at increasing the gap behind me..

GrahamS

Nice.

If I’m not in a hurry then my preferred technique to deal with bumper-rubbers is to gradually slow down till we are crawling along or they get the hint.

After all, if they aren’t going to match the gap to our speed then it must be up to me to adjust my speed to match the gap.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I think the driving standards boil down to 2 reasons really. There are those that simply don’t GAF about anyone else, and the rest simply don’t know what they are doing is wrong.

One thing I have noticed is on the increase is people don’t understand the concept of slip roads and joining a motorway. Its been a while since I took my test (13 years) but I was under the impression those joining the motorway were meant to indicate and fliter in. Not fix their gaze straight ahead and pull in at whatever speed they fancy.

mrplow
    Free Member

It is down to the invention of Sat Nav – a woman would never have dared to enter a motorway alone before it as they would be lost forever in time :mrgreen: True story 😉

pondo

Ooooo, and I tell you what – another pet hate. I get on the M42 at about quarter to seven, and it’s always pretty busy, nice long slip road with good visibility but I reckon 2 or 3 times a week, I’ll follow someone down it at forty mph, despite the traffic flowing and the inside lane doing sixty. And because the concept of filtering is apparantly unrecognised, some lorry driver has to barge his way into the middle lane, logjamming the middle and outer lanes while some sh!t for brains eedjit who’s utterly unaware of the impact they’re having on everyone around them rolls onto the motorway, accelerates steadily up to 55 then pulls out to sit in the middle lane for the duration of their journey.

And breath. 🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw this idea mooted on here, but I reckon snipers on motorway bridges are the way forward. Now when is Dragons Den on…

flicker
    Free Member

ell_tell – Member

I think the driving standards boil down to 2 reasons really. There are those that simply don’t GAF about anyone else, and the rest simply don’t know what they are doing is wrong.

One thing I have noticed is on the increase is people don’t understand the concept of slip roads and joining a motorway. Its been a while since I took my test (13 years) but I was under the impression those joining the motorway were meant to indicate and fliter in. Not fix their gaze straight ahead and pull in at whatever speed they fancy.

Wait until you follow someone down the slip road who then brakes to a standstill at the bottom, fair focused the mind that one!

revs1972
    Free Member

“Drivers who needlessly hog the middle lane on motorways face fines of £100 as well as three penalty points under new government measures designed to crack down on careles motoring”

Therefore hog the 3rd lane and not get fined. Simples

richmtb

In the OP’s situation I wouldn’t even have wasted the time moving behind them. I’d have just stayed in lane 1 and carried on with my day.

Slip roads can be infuriating. Two lane slip roads seem like an unfathomable mystery to most.

On the way home I take the M73 briefly just where it merges with the M74. as it merges there are a series of two lane slip roads. The left lane becomes lane 1 of the merging motorway and the right lane is a slip road. The number of people who hog lane 2 at 55mph and then try and jam their car into the middle lane is amazing.

1981miked
    Free Member

I still can’t get my head round people indicating right at roundabouts and going straight on!

Also people’s failure to keep a uniform speed up.. And who do some drivers take it upon themselves to enforce 15-20mph speeds on safe roads with a limit of 30mph… You are not being a safe driver, your frustrating people and causing congestion!

fasthaggis

Also people’s failure to keep a uniform speed up.. And who do some drivers cyclists take it upon themselves to enforce 15-20mph speeds on safe roads with a limit of 30mph… You are not being a safe driver cyclist, your frustrating people and causing congestion!

Drac

In the OP’s situation I wouldn’t even have wasted the time moving behind them. I’d have just stayed in lane 1 and carried on with my day.

He wasn’t though he was in lane 3 too.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Is it me, or is lane 3 hogging on the increase?’ is closed to new replies.