Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Is it me, or do some people on here change their bikes much more than normal?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

Not sure about everyone else, but once I've bought a bike, that's it for at least a couple of years, and even then I probably wouldn't swap it, only buy something that complements it.

However on here, there do seem to be a lot of people who buy bikes, make them pretty, take some pictures of them, then sell them on and repeat. ❓

What's that all about then?

jimmy

i did it for 2/3 years until I found the right bike I was after. Now I have and don't intend to swap until Mike makes a Dialled Titanium Alpine.

nickc

people are different and have different priorities and stuff; is what that's all about. Plus it's a great source of known-down-price barely used 2nd bikes for the rest of us…All good

Edit, Like Jimmy i have my perfect bike, until I can persuade Santa Cruz to make a carbon chameleon, they will eventually relent under the pressure of my relentless email campaign…muuuuhhhhhaaaaaa

BigDummy
    Free Member

There are two different activities in play here. Some people just ride bikes. A lot of people pretty much just buy and build bikes. A few people do both.

Buying and building bikes is quite a fun activity, especially if you have plenty of money but very little riding time. Clearly, it is less zen then actually riding the damn thing, but that is often uncomfortable, rainy and involves getting up early. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hora will be along in a bit

Probably with a new bike

Kramer
    Free Member

It would seem like a very expensive hobby, although I can see the attraction.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I think I'm like you – started with a basic commuter, then a basic mtb when I got the bug

since then I have replaced the basic starter bikes – and now have 5 bikes

However they all do a different job (ss commuter, "proper" road bike, hardtail, single speed MTB, full suss MTB)

I am happy with all my bikes and have no plans to change any of them (bar upgrades to the odd individual component here and there)

I do think about new bikes – buts its always a different type of bike than I have currently (track bike, cross bike, tourer, cargo bike blah blah blah)- I don't think I could get that excited about buying another single speed say, the one I have does the job just fine

Mister-P
    Free Member

Because some folk think a new bike will make them a better rider.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

if I had the money I'd buy new bikes all the time…just to try them. I'd probably keep most of them too since I have the space. There's always one out there that'll be better than the one you've got.

I like spag bol and I'm very happy eating it, but that doesn't mean I don't try other pasta dishes. It doesn't take a big leap (for me!) from this to bikes 🙂

…except of course I can't afford a new bike every time I go for a ride 🙁

hilldodger
    Free Member

stw-posters in 'not normal' shocker…..

BigDummy
    Free Member

What I tend to do is spiral between different sorts of bikes. 2 years ago I bought a spangly road racer. I spent a huge amount of time riding on the road. That started to get old, and I've recently spent a similar amount of money on a mountainbike (replacing one that was getting on a bit and had fallen out of favour after the roadie came along).

At the same time I've acquired a Brompton and a cargo bike which has gone through 2 incarnations.

stumpy01

well, I bought my bike in early 2002 & erm, I've still got it. Only changed things as they've worn out – main bits being new forks & brakes last yr.

Intend to get something a bit more trail bike-y once the 2010 bikes come out as comparing my bike to various mates bikes (Heckler, Jekyll All Mountain, Whyte E-120, Orange Sub 5) mine is no way as confidence inspiring on the downs and the riding position is a lot more 'weight forward'.
    I am going to keep mine for races/enduros etc. but I don't feel the need to regularly change.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

As someone who has had 10 bikes in the last 3 years let me put my 10p in. After a long brake from riding I brought a bike, realised it was not what I needed, changed it, got into DH living near cwm carn, all went well until a big accident, changed bikes a few times while I was healing, changed bikes again.. top and bottom of it for me was 1) too much time on my hands whilst injured and I like building bikes to keep me occupied, 2) I have 2 young kids so not as much time to ride as I would like, 3) poor choices on which bike. Well now I am a tad fitter health wise and finally have a bike I really like I am content…. I am happy I have ridden and owned a nice range of bikes as I feel I truly know what I have suits my needs!

racefaceec90

if i had the money i'd have 2 rooms(remember wayne's world,where he opened a door in a shop,and there was this huge cavern,with people doing martial arts).well i'd have one with as many different bikes,components,formula 1 pit team(for bikes obviously!!!),and a reality holodeck,where i could call up any terrain?weather conditions e.t.c.the other room,would be full of guitars,amps synths,effects pedals e.t.c.(there would be a formula 1 guitar team)also i could call up any guitarist in history to give me lessons e.t.c via the holodeck,also use it to replicate the best gigs ever held as well!!!i think that would be pretty cool!!! 😀

ridethelakes
    Free Member

You have to factor in the pace of development of new bikes too. I thought my 6 inch bike was a keeper but the likes of the new spesh enduro with a frame thats 2 lb lighter makes mine seem positively retro. And there's the new IBIS HD…

ton

i want to try and ride as many differant brands of bike as possible….
    if it means having to buy them to do this, that is fine by me…..

can you imagine eating toast for your breakfast for the rest of your life……. 😉

tootallpaul

Personally, I enjoy the bike building process almost as much as the riding- hence my tendency to get through a fair number of machines…

I like a project.

P

jam-bo

i like toast.

BIKES4LIFE
    Free Member

i seem to buy 1/2 2nd hand bikes a year,then do a custom job on them

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

mmm toast.

theboatman
    Free Member

It's surely just a personal choice thing, I quite enjoy trading a few bits around and tinkering with my bikes. The fact a lot of other folk do means I can pick up plenty of parts cheaper than buying new. If it keeps folk happy and they have the cash, what the heck.

tootallpaul

toast and jam.

🙂

maxray
    Free Member

You should start reviewing them and blogging it Ton, if your following on here is anything to go one it wouldnt take long until suppliers would give yo uthem to test I bet. :o)

BigDummy
    Free Member

"As the World's Largest Man, I found this bicycle to be too small and rather flexy."

You know, I'm pretty sure most suppliers wouldn't want him testing their bikes. 😀

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I did do it for a bit during the 'work out what works for me' phase. Now I know –

I spin up hills rather than stomp
    Slacker Geometry
    Relatively high front ends

radoggair
    Free Member

toast and syrup…mmmmmmmmmmm

Jimmy, as i fondly recall after you farting about on my 5 spot for a while you said 'if only i had one of these little puppies my dreams would come true', followed on by ' Good god Greig, do you work out, you look so toned in those shorts and t-shirt'. Naturally i discouraged your second comment as a bid to steal my bike whilst i felt weak at the knees but your first comment made me think you wanted my bad boy as the ride between your legs whilst you cheated on the prince 🙂

igm

I enjoy building bikes – if anyone wants me to build their bikes for them I would be happy to do it. Though I might not have time to do it fast

jimmy

greig – The Turner is sweeeeeeet but when I used to ride GT etc on full suss I got bored. So I need a hardtail and my ultimate would be a Ti Alpine. But ideally I'd have a 5 Spot sitting next it ready for acytion. And a few others… If only I had a job.

And my comment was "You fat b*stard". I mean, you are putting on a bit, aren't you?

hora
    Free Member

I tend to sell on the frames I dont like. However I keep Santa Cruz's almost two years -Heckler, 15months-Blur 4x and Chameleons, well I always return to those so I guess thats the same as keeping. Currently on a Orange5- we'll see how that goes but I bought it at full retail so I dont think it will go anywhere for a long while.

Thing is- with most 'boutique'/brands that dont sell shedloads etc its bloody hard to get a offroad ride on one – so how do you know until you've bought and built?

If you pay full price- its madness to then sell on for 50% after a short period though. I dont get that.

RRD
    Free Member

Toast with lashings of melted butter…

Kuco

I use to do this but now days I just can't be arsed though I recently brought a new dh bike and need a new xc bike as I don't have one. But one thing for sure my Ti on-one cx bike ain't going no where.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It is rather ammusing, some people just blow cash on things irrespective of teh hobby/interest/past-time.

Another prime example of this is Match fishing on the Open Circuit, people will buy new equipment when it comes out because it "must" be better than last years model, cue loads of 2nd had top notch gear available for much less cash – winner.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

People on cycling forum buying lots of bikes shocker!

hora
    Free Member

I actually cant remember how long Ive had my Fuji trackbike that I use as a commuter. Ive also NEVER cleaned it 8)

adeward
    Free Member

when i used to be a bike designer my bikes were never the same from one week to the next,,,, stuff to try

after i gave that up my bikes settled down since 2000 I have had a marin mount vision single speed and a whyte preston
    but this year it's all gone a bit different i aquired a whyte jw4 preston frame so the mount vision was stripped and put in the roof and the jw4 is the single speed

mamadirt
    Free Member

I am happy I have ridden and owned a nice range of bikes as I feel I truly know what I have suits my needs!

Yeah, and what Ton said too. For me it's not just about the riding (tho' I do ride everyday), it's the speccing and building too – I'd like to say that I've found the perfect bike – maybe I have but that's not going to stop me wanting to build something else just to see how it feels. In my defence, I don't by shoes or handbags 😉

IA

Just skimmed the thread, but the answer is:

For some buying, maintaining and upgrading bikes, trying to get them "just right" is a rewarding activity in itself. There're two sides (at least!) to MTBing – sport and hobby.

Bikes are expensive, but not compared to a lot of other things! And if there's pleasure to be gained by riding a new bike, then why not?

oldgit
    Free Member

The other thing is the constant search for the perfect bike. But in our sport there are too many vaiables i.e up/down muddy/dry/rocky/wet/sandy/rooty xc riding/freeride/AM?/downhill etc etc you can get close to the holy grail of bikes but only close.
    Accept what you ride most of the time and get a bike that suits, that's my opinion. And bling that to Kingdom come, I like to see good looking stuff on the trails. Sadly I'm function over form ❗

Keva
    Free Member

I haven't bought a bike for three or four months now…

oldgit
    Free Member

You been inside?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is it me, or do some people on here change their bikes much more than normal?’ is closed to new replies.