Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Is it me, or do I need to find another forum?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The arguments are always cyclic as well which is odd and ironic considering it is a cycling forum…

Lol – quote of the week for me 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

So what is the real reason for the forceful views?

Sexual tension.

Surely the purpose of certain Friday threads is to help relieve this tension of a sexual nature that you speak?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Theses days I tend to just come here for the biscuits.

downshep

We need more happy faces among the jammie dodgers…. 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

On every forum I’ve ever been on there’s always a few people needing to assert their authority and position themselves near the top of the hierarchy they’ve created in their minds. I do wonder if that’s because in the real world they tend to be near the bottom of that hierarchy? And then there’s the people that think arguing about anything is good sport… Have they nothing better to do?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

On every forum I’ve ever been on there’s always a few people needing to assert their authority and position themselves near the top of the hierarchy they’ve created in their minds

Not wishing to start an argument, but that is a very interesting point to come up with. It suggests that you have also created a hierarchy in your mind, no? 😀 there you go, have a jamie dodger.

hora
    Free Member

My rule is never take a forum seriously and never take yourself seriously on a forum 😈

Plain Digestives are my Drug.Of.Choice.

5thElefant
    Free Member

This forum has some of the most obnoxious unpleasant gits on the internet. It also has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful.

The trick is to not get involved, then it doesn’t seem nearly as nasty as it is.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s like a game of intellectual chess

Problem is, some people really do think this. It’s [swear filter avoidance] hilarious!
    Chess usually has a winner – on here it’s whoever can keep typing bollocks the longest.
    To the OP, there are plenty of other forums out there, go try some.

D0NK

Yeah but it’s funny, even on the most vitriolic of threads someone will pop up with a quip and make me pee myself with laughter.

Also worrying/surprising is when I see a forumite with an opinion diametrically opposed to my own on some subjest important to me, I’ll think “what and absolute arse, what kind of degenerate thinks like that?” Then on the next thread/subject the same person is agreeing with me. 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a jamie dodger.

Otherwise known as Cambridgeshire females 😉

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve been coming here for years and never been offered a biscuit. Clearly the powers that be are selectively withholding nourishment.

jonzo
    Free Member

It’s all a sign of the times… something is gonna give soon!

MrSmith
    Free Member

i’m only on here because hora doesn’t have a twitter/blog thingy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This forum has some of the most obnoxious unpleasant gits on the internet.

If you really believe that, then I reckon you’re pretty unlucky. For me the opposite is true, ie, I find it impossible to dislike anyone on here. Even people which I instinctively feel I ought to dislike, such as Zulu-eleven & Woppit. In fact I would, and do, miss them if they don’t post. I guess it’s probably because of the detached nature of internet forum relationships – you can just close a page and walk away, it’s not in your face as in real life.

I agree that Elfin/Fred/whatever his new name is, has turned in to one of the good guys now……….. I’m more interested in what turned him?

He was tamed by the mods. After years of claiming that the screws and nonces would never break him, he finally broke. He is now a fine upright, respectable, and law-abiding, member of the community.

Pathetic really.

Still I guess it proves that rehabilitation can work.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave – slice of Guinness cake?

McHamish
    Free Member

Why don’t we arrange a weekly 8 man cage fighting tournament…the 8 most prolific bickerers from the week and compete with one emerging the victor.

He can even finish with “There can be only one!” at the end in a Highlanderesque finishing move.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do we really need subject matter that causes such obvious friction

kyak kyak!!

But anyway, the discussions are good and it is important for all of us to hear a range of opinions. Yes, lots of arguments tend to be the same argument with a different jacket, and yes some people are very forceful and domineering with their arguments, but these people are also very predictable. I used to use a different forum which was rich in debate, with lots of people from all over the world. There, as here, there were a few individuals who felt compelled to get involved in every argument which had some bearing on their world view. For while this was very interesting, however, in the long run. It was obvious that a number of people had very different starting points and were never going to agree. Eventually the number of debates which took place dropped to near zero as for every issue, most of the forumites could predict each other’s opinions and realise that the argument would go no where. As such the forum is full of anodyne, unstimulating conversation.

McHamish
    Free Member

This forum has some of the most obnoxious unpleasant gits on the internet.

Just noticed this…you’ve led a sheltered ilife.

iDave
    Free Member

TSY – half a slice would be greatly appreciated, a whole slice and the world can have a big hug

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why don’t we arrange a weekly 8 man cage fighting tournament

Would the intention behind this scheme be to decrease or increase bickering? I’m not much into bickering but I’ve always wanted to take part in a Royal Rumble…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffXJodvm66E[/video]

Torminalis
    Free Member

He was tamed by the mods. After years of claiming that the screws and nonces would never break him, he finally broke. He is now a fine upright, respectable, and law-abiding, member of the community.

Pathetic really.

😆

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll think “what and absolute arse, what kind of degenerate thinks like that?” Then on the next thread/subject the same person is agreeing with me.

Great that innit?!

Btw, where is SFB lately?

Tiger6791

The constant arguing on here is starting to get me down

No it isn’t.

McHamish
    Free Member

Would the intention behind this scheme be to decrease or increase bickering? I’m not much into bickering but I’ve always wanted to take part in a Royal Rumble…

I think the intention would be for the bickerers to identify a top bickerer for the week, perhaps with some kind of championship belt.

I’m sure that would start a whole new world of bickering about who is the ultimate bickerer.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m sure that would start a whole new world of bickering about who is the ultimate bickerer.

and maybe when a real ding dong starts we could have a poll to say who we think has one and when. So that the loser can withdraw with some honour instead of wriggling about in the mud.

McHamish
    Free Member

Actually, rather than cage fighting…what about Gladiators?

I’m sure we could persuade Ulrika Johnson to shag someone.

Maybe we could have a side competition – “Who looks the best in lycra?”

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:

Otherwise known as Cambridgeshire females

Harumph.

Kevevs
    Free Member

what I think is a shame is that there are probably loads of really interesting people out there that love reading posts, and could really add something to this place, but don’t want to, in case someone jumps down their neck. That’s one good reason I suppose, that lately, the mods, etc, have gone into overdrive.

edit: yeah? where is SFB?

Cougar

No it isn’t.

That’s not an argument, it’s just contradiction.

philconsequence
    Free Member

simple really:

forum users should be able to click on a “verify” button under each persons post if they doubt the content of a reply. the verify button will take you to a page listing that persons vital STW statistics… the most important part if this being:

each user cannot post until their profile is updated with a verified image of their partner, a verified image clearly showing the length of their penis or size of their boobs, and a verified by MENSA IQ level.

arguments should be won on penis/boob size, failing that IQ level and if IQ levels are equal between the arguing posters it should come down to a STW poll of which person’s partner the forum would rather bump-uglies with.

premier users like myself will also have access to their bank details and should be able to withdraw 5pounds from their account each time they offend my delicate sensibilities.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

each user cannot post until their profile is updated with a verified image of their partner, a verified image clearly showing the length of their penis or size of their boobs, and a verified by MENSA IQ level.

You only suggest this because it places you at a clear advantage

iDave
    Free Member

a verified image clearly showing the length of their penis or size of their boobs

or both in the case of some STWers

Kevevs
    Free Member

sounds fair 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

charlie, i didnt realise we’d met in real life? 😀

boobs and a penis gets you a “joker card” that you can only use once in situations like:

“i think all men on this forum are nasty creatures that dont do anything for society!”

“ummm actually i’ve dedicated my life to raising money for charities for homeless drug addicted orphans with horrible facial disfigurements”

“i was joking of course! of course there are men like you…. why doesnt anyone realise when i’m not being serious?!… here’s my joker card as proof”

cinnamon_girl

No, I don’t want to see man boobs. 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ms Cinnamon, how are you? Not seen you around recently…

Tiger6791

Cougar – Member

No it isn’t.

That’s not an argument, it’s just contradiction.

At least somebody got it 🙂

D0NK

Great that innit?!

Hmm not sure. I guess the old addage stands, “just coz someone is a cyclist doesn’t mean they are a nice person” or rather “just coz someone is a bigoted racist twonk doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate the sleek efficiency of rapid rise rear mechs”
    🙂

Cougar

Let me tell you about STW.

Actually, let me tell you about something else first.

<FX: wobbly fade cut>

I’ve been a user (and later moderator) of an Internet BBS (Monochrome) since the early 90s (yes, before the web existed). The userbase there was originally students and most of the current users are long-standing residents. Add to this the ‘security through obscurity’ of Mono, it means that we have a very specific demographic; we’re mostly reasonably bright late-30-somethings / early-40-somethings, with arguably a higher-than-average ratio of geeks / Aspies.

In real terms, this means that the place has a fairly unique atmosphere. Chat can be witty, sublime, passionate, intelligent, pedantic, and occasionally full of the most hostile bickering you could imagine. What it doesn’t have is a raft of 14-year olds LOLing and ROFLing about the place.

And you know, I like it a lot. It’s comfortable, it’s basically how my real life friends interact; we won’t hesitate to argue like old married couples and call each other names that I can’t repeat on here, but that’s fine because deep down there’s a lot of love and respect for each other. And after nearly 20 years, many of the spods on there are my real life friends.

<FX: more wibbly lines>

I used to think that Mono was unique on the Internet, till I discovered STW. Cos you know, this place is exactly the same. It’s a very similar demographic, a good degree of wit and intelligence, very little immaturity, some really really interesting debate, and a couple of token bellends. You could argue that that’s a small price to pay but you know what, it’s not even that, it’s part of the atmosphere. Without opposing / conflicting views (and sometimes outrageously so) we’d all be sitting around talking about the weather.

So. STW. Please don’t change. Bickering can be [page down]ed past, threads over five pages can be ignored (cos you know, you don’t have to read everything), or in STW parlance, just MTFU. (-:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Is it me, or do I need to find another forum?’ is closed to new replies.