• This topic has 43 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • is it me or are chips just not as nice as they used to be these days?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

i remember nice hot fresh chips just being so moreish when i was younger.the smell is still really inviting but frankly the last few times ive had them ive been really looking forward to them up until about 20 seconds in to scoffing them, when i think, these just arnt all that great?
    by the time ive nearly finished im thinking, these are gross?

is it me? is it the chippy? has chip making changed or become more (slightly) healthy thus less tasty and whats the secret to great chips? 🙄

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You should ask for more vinegar

ton

depends who makes em.
    mint are awesome, thick, sqare, twice fried, with plenty of salt and viginer…………mm mmmm

Jamie
    Free Member

Go to a better chippy.

Kuco

Avoid any that use that Friars Pride shite.

odannyboy
    Free Member

ok so whats the trick? my chippy has loads of awards but maybe i just like cheapo chips?
    are local ones are quite dry.chips should be stodgy in my book.they arnt trying to my fruit and fibre…there chips!
    but really do you recon they were better , back in the day???

CaptJon
    Free Member

the way potatoes are stored these days..?

kinda666
    Free Member

Yeah, i remember when chips were really greasy, too dry these days, but doesn't stop me buying em! Occasionally get some that were like they used to be but not that often!

cp

They were probably all fried in beef dripping back in the day… Vege oil just lacks flavour.

HTTP404
    Free Member

very few chippies peel and cut their own potatoes these days. its easier to buy ready-to-fry.
    they've also invented something called "reconstituted potato" which is basically extruded potato mush.

kinda666
    Free Member

I like the soggy type, the ones that fold over when you pick them out of the bag!

Philby

The chips down here in Bristol are generally limp, soggy and often tepid and rather unpleasant.

When I go back up to Leeds to see my Mum I always pop into one of the chippies in Headingley, Otley or Yeadon – pure bliss with nice crispy, brown and hot chips awaiting a good dose of salt and vinegar. And the fried fish up North is 100% more tasty than down here.

alexathome
    Free Member

The chips down here in Bristol are generally limp, soggy and often tepid and rather unpleasant

I'd have to agree there! the only decent chips i've had in Bristol was many years ago in a chip shop near the bottom of christmas steps.

I reckon it's the oil they use now, not greasy enough. I'd bet if you bought some good spuds and cooked them yourself at home in good old animal fat you'd start to love the chip again, you'd just get really really fat. Can't beat home made fish and chips, crispy batter, home made chips, decent ketchup mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Flamin' veggies stuff, Dripping is the only way and they are not meant to be crisp. another new trend.I blame the Yanks.

grumm
    Free Member

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

pfft, use "chippers choice" potatoes, hand cut, par boil till just crumbly then deep fry. alternatively follow Heston's triple cooked recipe.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I have to agree with the Leeds/chips thing.
    One of my earliest memories is of getting chips with scraps each Saturday from a chippy somewhere up a side-street in Horseforth. I was less than 4 but can still remember the taste!!

robgarrioch

A small restaurant in Edinburgh (Olive Branch bistro in Morningside) served the best hand-cut chips ever last Valentines day – maris piper tatties cut to small wedges, oven baked at around 170 degs for 15-20 mins, then into a hotter oven (220) for 10 mins. Crisp on outside, soft & floury inside, kinda like mini-roasters. Been back twice now but the chef seems to have vamoosed 🙁

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chips are increasingly a mythical food for me, located about 15 or 20 years ago on the beach at Beadnell on a fine evening. I still eat them, but there's something missing.

I think it's to do with not camping enough any more. Beans and bacon is no good these days either. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

As others have mentioned – beef dripping is the key

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep – beef dripping. And that comes from the ex part-time assistant manager/frier at Drakes Fish n Chip shop in Knaresborough – in charge of 6 ranges all by myself back in the day. Gawd, that was a long time ago.

In Yorkshire I don't know of a single chippie that uses reconstituted potato chips though – at least they are all still real chips.

A small restaurant in Edinburgh (Olive Branch bistro in Morningside) served the best hand-cut chips ever last Valentines day – maris piper tatties cut to small wedges, oven baked at around 170 degs for 15-20 mins, then into a hotter oven (220) for 10 mins. Crisp on outside, soft & floury inside, kinda like mini-roasters.

Those aren't chips. They are roast potatoes cut in the shape of a chip. Chips are deep fried.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Truffle Oil is the way forward! 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

A good chipping potato double fried in dripping, its the only way.

Sadly its vanishingly are these days, especially down south. Here in Bristol our local Chinese does better fish & chips than the Fish & Chip shop 200 yrds away …

But apart from the Cubans at the bottom of Christmas Steps, I've not had really decent chips anywhere in Bristol.

Its like black pudding. Its all shit down here. Turd in black plastic casing.

CHB

I have to say that fish and chips in Leeds are the best in the country from my experience. The weird thing is that even on the East coast (Scarborough, Brid, Whitby) the fish and chips are not as nice as in Leeds.

Personal favourite chippys are: Coes in Crossgates, Skyliner just off J46 M1 (Colton) and for eat in fish and chips, the Three Horseshoes pub just of J30 M62. The fish and chips at the three horseshoes are BETTER than in the famed Magpie in Whitby.

pjt201
    Free Member

you want to be careful with your truffle oil captain, most of it contains no truffle whatsoever.

belgianbob

Want great chips? Move to Scotland! I'm sure you CAN get bad chips in Scotland, but I've not had any. FWIW, even here in the sunny east midlands the chips are more than acceptable 99% of the time.

CHB

Yum, had fish and chips for tea!

snowslave

The serving of chips in polystyrene boxes should be punishable by death, with no right to appeal

ton

CHB – Member
    Yum, had fish and chips for tea!

conrad…………….north lane???? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Dammit. Every time i see this thread i fancy some chips.

There goes the diet.

snowslave

Oh bloody hell, I can't get the idea of chips out of my head since this thread. Here's a pic of some rubbishy oven ready ones from the Newfield Inn at Seathwaite. With scientific analysis added.

uplink
    Free Member

You put brown sauce on chips?
    what are you? from Birmingham, or something?

It's probably illegal, you know?

snowslave

I put brown sauce on everything. It's the law.

twinklydave

good chips still for sale at the ladybower inn, in the peaks

not a huge portion or anything like that, but juuuust right (when combined with a lovely pie…) 🙂

snowslave

Sorry to p1ss on your chips old chap (arf, sorry), but they do look like fake oven ready chips. A detailed inquest is needed…

twinklydave

WHAT?
    Outrageous claims!

Next time I'm there I shall demand an extra portion for scientific purposes

matt_outandabout

Our local chippy is an old caravan in the carpark (summers only, apart from Fridays.) Chips there are dreadful, however the 'next closest' chippy is this one. Absolutely ace place.

http://mhor.net/fish/

slowjo
    Free Member

The thing about chips is that if you see them cold you wonder how the hell you put them in your mouth in the first place. I dropped some in the drive a few years ago, it was pitch black (nearest street light maybe a mile away) so I decided to clear them up in the morning. When I got round to it I found myself looking at these limpid lumps of potato covered in congealed fat. Sort of slug like. Yuk, yuk, yuk! It was quite some time before I persuaded myself to eat them again. Since then however, I have developed a wicked intolerance to fat and I can only watch while others eat them. Some kind of cruel, medieval retribution methinks! 🙁

domino

Chips in Yorkshire are still the best (and I'm from t'other side). Living in Otley, The Maypole had the best fish and chips, I miss them. People flock to Busy Lizzies in Skipton where I am now but they are not as good as Maypole.

uplink
    Free Member

I have developed a wicked intolerance to fat and I can only watch while others eat them. Some kind of cruel, medieval retribution methinks!

Are you off round MrNutt's for dinner?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘is it me or are chips just not as nice as they used to be these days?’ is closed to new replies.