Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Is it me or…
  • matther01
    Free Member

Do sounds emanating from your bike drive you mental and spoil a ride?

Yesterday my brakes got caked in crap and scrapped for miles, my chain rubbed no matter how I adjusted the h and l screws (even though it worked perfect just before I left home) and my BB creaked (at least I think it was the bb) from start to finish (even after me losing half a stone!).

I tried to tune the sounds out but just couldn’t and found myself losing concentration in the most precarious places!

Anyone else get the same annoyance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope, it’s mountain biking.

Bez

Yes, the slightest sound drives me nuts.

Pook

why would your chain rub less by adjusting the limiters?

garage-dweller

What annoys me more is it actually not working or finding a tyre you’ve done less than 100miles on has distorted as a result of one or two iffy landings last weekend. (guess what I found on my night ride this evening)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Pook don’t the limit screws on the front mech adjust where the cage sits. Too close and it will rub no?

yunki
    Free Member

what causes this then..?

a few miles into a ride and I get a very high pitch squeal starting barely audibly from the front disc, slowly building to deafening, which stops (momentarily) if I give a sharp tug on the brake, and longer term if I get some heat into the disc..?

No real rhyme or reason to it.. it might then be quiet again for a few hundred meters, or a few miles, or until the end of the ride

dantsw13

Sticky pistons?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My tranceX has had a pasting in recent weeks and needs new shock bearings. criiiik criiik

mattk
    Free Member

Yunki – I get that, and I found it was my front hub being a bit loose (old cup/cone bearings) but after tightening the hub it doesn’t do it. Until it works loose again! My theory is that while the wheel rotates the hub gets a bit of lateral wobble and makes the disc resonate against the calliper.

Bloody annoying it is

skip
    Free Member

The best thing about a Hope Pro 2 rear hub, is that while your going down you can’t hear much else. It’s somewhat reassuring that you can write the rest off until the fun is over.

DickBarton

how long was your ride? sounds worrying if you lost half a stone in such a short period of time…

orangeboy
    Free Member

I could not care to much about noises , but don’t ignor them as somthing prob needs fixing
    As for brake and chain noise because of mud and the like just get on and ride

jameso

Not just you … A quiet bike is bliss. I even managed to silence my Pro2 SS hub at last, happy singlespeed days this week ) no chain slap, no freewheel buzz, just the ‘phuddubdub’ of low pressure tyres over hard ground. I love BB7s for the way shings can be dialled out so easily mid-ride.

Pook

parkes – yes, they do. I was thinking just rear mech. Baby brained tiredness.

Nobby

It’s when the noise from the bike turns out to be your knee that you should be concerned.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yeah – I cant stand it.

I have a funny one……

New build – old hope threaded external BB fitted to new frame.
    Cleaned and copper slipped before fitting.
    Do up to my normal torq (I dont use torq wrench but this tension has worked on all my other bikes)
    First 5 mins its silent – then creaks like mad for 2 hours – then silent
    When I take the cranks off its much easier to undo the BB – so must have loosened off. If I tighten back up the same happens again.

Does this mean I need to use a facing tool?
    Since its not creaking now should I just forget about it and continue riding with a probably slightly loosened BB.
    Or was I over-tightening it to start with- and now its worked loose to where it should be?

Many questions…..

stumpy01

Gah!
    I can’t stand bike noises as they normally mean I need to spend time fiddling about in the garage trying to replicate something that doesn’t want to be replicated to find the fault.

I find that my front disc will be completely silent for ages and then all of a sudden, sometimes without even braking) I’ll get that ching ching ching as it skims a pad. Then it’ll just stop.

I’ve got a Garmin speed sensor on my road bike and have had a tick tick tick noise from the rear that has been doing my head in. On my last ride I was convinced it must be the magnet touching the c/stay sensor, so stopped to check it and it was clear.
    At the weekend while doing some tinkering, I tried to resolve it and it seems that the tick is actually made by the sensor as the magnet passes. Anyone else noticed that?!

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I find “what’s that noise?” thoughts quickly transform into “argh, I think my bike is going to spontaneously combust”

buck53

@ndthornton Almost certainly over tightening I would say, that or under greased but probably the former.

wwaswas

If I want a quiet ride I go out on a road bike.

Even SS MTb’s make noise – it’s the tyres on the dirt as much as anything. Well, that and me wheezing up all the hills.

wordnumb
    Free Member

If I can hear my bike over the sound of my wheezing gasps for air then I know I’m not eating enough pies.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I bought my girlfried a Scott Hybrid with an Alfine Hub gear. Partially as an experiment to see how good they are but more out of lazyness as I couldn’t be bothered with yet another drive to maintain.

Im sold!! Its ace and Im always nicking it 🙂

Technology not quite there yet I dont think for hardcore stuff but its def on my “to do” list to build up a winter bike with hub gear at the very least.

oregon29
    Free Member

Mmmm with a clutched rear derailleur I hear nothing but rubber on the ground. I took me quite a few years of chasing dragons to get to this though:)

fasthaggis

Same as wwaswas,I expect noise when mtbing ,but my road bikes must be silent ( even my winter one ). 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

with a clutched rear derailleur I hear nothing but rubber on the ground

are you running single or double?

I have just got a clutch mech – trying to work out if its quieter or if its me wanting it to be quieter as I just spent lots of money updating my drive.

I have a feeling you still get clatter on the front mech but perhaps not on the chainstay. Its certainly reduced noise – I think.

annebr
    Free Member

I kept hearing clicking while riding on Monday. I thought it was my BB as it stopped when I stopped pedaling.

Then I realised it was just the keys in my pocket.

ndthornton
    Free Member

lol – I had a funny noise on my GFs bike that for ages I thought was to do with peddling. Turned out hard peddling was flexing the rear wheel which then rubbed on the mud guard. Took aaaaages to work that one out.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I listen to music so can never hear the bike, funny though when you get one of those tracks that has the long silence and then a little bit of music / talking at the end and during that silence I hear all sorts of creaking but always forget by the end of the next track!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep – noises that are minimal annoy the hell out of me, ive had silence for 3 months (totally silent!) and its so no nice to just listen to the countryside (gay), instead of listening to a bloody annoying creak, click or other….i then end up like the OP concentrating on the noise and where its coming from, thus not concentrating on the ride/obstacles…

i then got a dodgy shock with a clunk, and after 3 months of silence was back to being pissed off! fortunately ive had it sorted and found the culrit straight away

last 2 30 milers on all manner of terrain and its been totally silent!

(touches wood quickly!)

oregon29
    Free Member

I’m running a double, no noise while peddling and no noise in the big ring. Shift up for the downhill and it seems all good to me.

unklehomered
    Free Member

When in the snow the sound of my brakes annoyed me, but it was a a piercing screech all the way down every hill… set all the farm dogs off barking for miles around. 😳

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Is it me or…’ is closed to new replies.