• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is it me, my tools or this bloody Pike air shaft?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Trying to switch air shafts to a different length.

Lower legs off fine, but I’m buggered if I can get the circlip off the bottom of the air shaft.

My circlip pliers are small Lidl ones so maybe not the best, but I’ve tried levering with a mini screwdriver at same time and still no joy.

Please tell me it’s not just me!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Proper circlip pliers are worth their weight in gold.

fathomer

It’s a pain. I found a socket big enough to go over the shaft but push against the bumper(?) with your thumb whilst holding the stanchion, loosens the circlip enough to get it off.

Not sure that makes any sense 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Not total sense I must admit.

🙂

Northwind

IIRC I had no problem getting the circlip to “close” but getting it to actually come out was a bollocks. Can’t remember what eventually got it out, possibly a dentist’s pick at the same time as the circlip pliars or something.

fathomer

I’ll try again, bear with me 😀

Push air shaft up in to stanchion
    Put socket over shaft so it rests on the ‘air shaft guide’
    Hold stanchion and using thumb push the socket so it pushes the ‘air shaft guide’
    This loosens the circlip enough to get it out

Any better? I saw a pic on the net of someone doing it but can’t find it now!

chakaping
    Free Member

Think I’ve got you now ta, it’s a bit of a three handed job eh? Maybe a four handed job.

The shaft is a right bugger to hold in as well.

benpinnick

The circlip sits into a recess in the bottom stopper/guide/plastic bit that holds it tight, to release, you need to push the stopper up into the fork moving it away from the circlip. Its stiff, but it is backed by a spring so it will move.

nuke

Think I’ve got you now ta, it’s a bit of a three handed job eh? Maybe a four handed job.

^ This is the solution imo: I went and asked my wife to push the black plastic seal in whilst i got in there with the circlips tool…worked first time

I had the same problem 8 months ago and did start a thread on here but got bugger all help 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it took two mechanics about 15 mins to do it this morning, so I feel slightly vindicated that it wasn’t just me.

It would be such an easy job if it wasn’t for that bit!

LoCo
    Free Member

The base plate just needs to be pushed into the leg to allow the circlip to be full ‘opened’.

Well it took two ‘mechanics’ about 15 mins to do

😯

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Done a few and never had a problem

Northwind

LoCo – Member

The base plate just needs to be pushed into the leg to allow the circlip to be full ‘opened’.

Wish I’d known that 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

But the plastic moulded area the circlip sits in on the base plate only allows about 1mm movement to “open” it.

Do some of these come stiffer than others Loco? ‘Cos it really wasn’t as easy as it looks in the tutorial videos, believe me.

LoCo
    Free Member

I mean the plastic moulded area is the ‘base plate’, will compress a fair amount 3 or 4mm meaning the circlip will open fully/give it a bit more ‘wiggle’ room to get it out of the location groove in the stantion.

Not noticed any being stiffer than others, might be possible that the spring washer under the plastic base plate was a touch deformed meaning it caught.
    I have a little widget I use to make the compressing bit quick and easy as do a a lot and saves compressing air shaft.

chakaping
    Free Member

Patent it and get it on the market now!

You’ll make a fortune.

Anyway, job all done now and Pike now set at 120mm.

Let the short-travel fun commence.

🙂

nuke

will compress a fair amount 3 or 4mm

Hmmm, no way mine would compress that much 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Absolutely the same here nuke – barely compressed at all.

bungalistic
    Free Member

does this mean you’re not doing any work and building up that kona 29er?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just sent you a teaser pic on FB

😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Whats a 1mm or 2, as long they’re sorted now, depends how hard you can push it and with what 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is it me, my tools or this bloody Pike air shaft?’ is closed to new replies.