Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • Is it me. Discipline on club runs?
  • aracer
    Free Member

But now I reckon it’s because a lot of cyclists don’t feel happy riding close to each other, wether side by side or wheel to wheel.

Such cyclists should ride by themselves. I’ve got nothing against them going on group rides and being prepared to learn, but not those who go on group rides with poor riding etiquette and an attitude.

crazy-legs

Such cyclists should ride by themselves. I’ve got nothing against them going on group rides and being prepared to learn, but not those who go on group rides with poor riding etiquette and an attitude.

A lot of them don’t even know they’ve got poor riding etiquette hence the attitude.

Drac

Could be worse your club members could be on Country File overtaking on solid white lines but no one would do that would they?

njee20
    Free Member

I think that’s self perpetuating too. People don’t want to ride too close because they can’t hold a line, so no one wants to ride close to them, because they can’t hold a line, and so on.

I know I’ve got friends I’ll happily sit a couple of inches beside with no issues, and others I’d not consider going within a foot of!

TiRed

We take beginners and new club riders (and triathletes 😉 ) and, regardless of fitness, they ride in the beginners group. Once they can hold a line and ride comfortably in a group with good communication they move to more experienced and faster groups depending on fitness level. Sometimes people simply don’t know what to do and are thankful of the advice. I’ve not had anyone take advice badly. I’ve seen some shocking bike handling skills though.

But you are right, there are some riders who one always feels comfortable with. A group of eight of them can feel effortless. Yesterday we were practicing soft pedaling (not coasting) and controlling speed in the group with pedal pressure rather than brakes. My judgement of a good group is how near the brakes I rest my hands.

Any when I said respect, who said it was from car drivers 😉 . But a tight group that covers half the lane looks a lot better than a gaggle of sportivistas three or four across.

BoardinBob

I’m working my way through the videos of the guy Boardin Bob posted.
    I really shouldn’t laugh but when he starts his trademark roar I just can’t help it….

There are a few genuine bad driving examples but on the whole he looks to be out for trouble. He also appears to live near me and in one of his videos he has an unreasonable go at someone who happens to be my next door neighbour…and is also a police…can’t wait to show him the video

oldgit
    Free Member

He does seem to charge at potential problems that I’d be slowing down for.

federalski
    Free Member

He does see, to plough on even when I am sure he see’s the danger early himself, I would rather back off than risk proving a point by holding my (rightful) position.

I watched a few but there was one with a truck with a very long low bed trailer that was pretty horrendous. It was very close and very dangerous.
    Makes you realise how much you are at the mercy to some drivers, especially after all the deaths in London recently.

federalski
    Free Member

Link

That one.

IanW
    Free Member

Regards the OP- They were a bit straggly (if thats a word) for the roadie disciplinarians but I don’t think they were breaking the highway code and cycling on a road is not the preserve of some inner circle of old road gurus.

Apart from that having Billy Connolly in your group must get you extra kudos.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s a classic, federalski, as is this one:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWENoBDxuS4[/video]

…in fact given the comments above I was surprised to find that most of his videos do show notably bad driving, with relatively few instances where he did anything wrong.

BoardinBob

This is a 40mph section of road. He gives little more than a cursory glance to the side and judging by how quickly the horn sounds the driver was close…yet it’s the drivers fault

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsykZfXk3Sc

andyg68

BoardinBob – Member
    This is a 40mph section of road. He gives little more than a cursory glance to the side and judging by how quickly the horn sounds the driver was close…yet it’s the drivers fault

I haven’t watched it with the sound on, but I know from watching odd bits of my own recordings that shoulder checks don’t show up as much more than sideways glances on film – the camera is fixed but your eyes swivel quite a long way.
    And the driver is expected by the highway code to expect cyclists to swerve, especially if they’ve done a shoulder check.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well I dunno. Maybe I should be all full of cycle-loathing, but I don’t really get it.

What I see on that first vid is a bunch of people bimbling along gently, without causing any trouble, and a dick of a car driver failing to overtake at a completely inappropriate place. What’s with all the anti-cyclist hate? Were they supposed to be in the gutter? It was hardly a busy road, why shouldn’t a club go out for a gentle ride at a quiet time of day?

Sure, they *could* have tucked in closer to the kerb. They *could* have ridden in a serious paceline. They *could* have just stayed in bed. I’m sure that some here would have found fault with them in any case.

The car driver *could* have not tried an aggressive overtake where anyone with a clue would have seen there was no room.

Who was really at *fault* there?

oldgit
    Free Member

Who was really at *fault* there?

I’d say the car, but that wasn’t the point of my post. More about how the total lack of cohesion can cause a problem. single file, then a gap. Two abreast then three abreast. Unsteady and clearly having a good old chat. Moving out to the white line. And was that a hand signal, what’s that cyclist signaling to me?

And the driver is expected by the highway code to expect cyclists to swerve, especially if they’ve done a shoulder check.

I never knew that, that’s really in the highway code? And I spent all that effort on practicing not to swerve when looking over my shoulder.

jonba
    Free Member

You Should be able to look without swerving although it doesn’t matter as no car would ever pass that close,oh wait.

It is used as an example in the hazard perception. There is a cyclist coming upto an obstical and he looks back to his right. This is an indication that he might move right! I always wonder what drivers expect me to do at parked cars. Stop and wait for clear road or just bunny hop them.they nearly always seem surprised when I move out and go round them.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“TiRed » You’ve got to look well-drilled if you want to command respect.

The sad thing is, you’re probably being serious. “
    good thing is he is probably correct. if a group can’t keep together the should be off by themselves. For the good of all.
    I blame the lack of tradition and mudguards.
    New clubs are, around me, the worst offenders. No old road captains in tweed to bollock those who can’t keep a wheel. A large but recent Monmouthshire club is bloody awful. 4 wide, broken groups. To long to overtake in one but too wide as well. They do have matching jumpers though so that makes it alright.

globalti
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a club run to me, it looks like a sportiff.

It’s difficult to organise a club properly; you need (as written above) a smattering of old-timers to keep an eye on the newbies and you need a leader who determines the pace and the stopping places and the route, as well as the contingencies for any who ae short of time and want to split off. I’ve been out with a local club a couple of times and seen only shambles so have decided club riding is not for me; I’d rather just ride with a couple of buddies or my son.

BoardinBob

andyg68 – Member

BoardinBob – Member

I haven’t watched it with the sound on,

About 1.5 seconds between his tiny glance to the right and the car horn sounding. I wouldn’t pull out to overtake another cyclist if I thought a car would be on top of me in 1.5 seconds.

hora
    Free Member

The first/OP’s clip. I was driving my 4×4 (yes really) up through Surrey Hills and I had a load of road cyclists blocking the road (almost looking to pick a fight). I sat patiently behind them for a LONG time. Ridiculously long, they knew I was there but still took up enough of the road that I couldn’t even use the otherside to overtake. At no point did I rev/gun the engine, drive to close or attempt an overtake. Finally I gave a short beep – that was it, lots of **** symbols etc etc so I leaned out of the window and said ‘why’ – que ‘come on mate lets have you etc’. I said wtf and drove on. They passed me about 2miles up the road as I was getting my bike out of the car and I walked across and said ‘hello, why’? (nothing, all looking straight ahead). Idiots.

martinhutch

He certainly seems more sinned against than sinning. But I applaud his obviously conscious decision to upload even the videos that make him look bad.

This one is worth it for the multiple ‘aaaaaargh!’ really.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJktyePe5mY&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_se4xuhMk-7PWcTMkgEQ5w[/video]

hora
    Free Member

He certainly seems more sinned against than sinning. But I applaud his obviously conscious decision to upload even the videos that make him look bad.

This one is worth it for the multiple ‘aaaaaargh!’ really.

I used to work with a bloke who drove round with his headlights/fogs on permanently. I asked him why? He said hes had soo many near-misses he thinks other drivers can’t see him..

This cyclist fella needs to get off the road IMO, maybe its partly his roadcraft, the area or just HIS bad luck. Whatever it is- fate is saying ‘mate cant you get the hint’.

njee20
    Free Member

I was driving my 4×4 (yes really) up through Surrey Hills and I had a load of road cyclists blocking the road (almost looking to pick a fight). I sat patiently behind them for a LONG time. Ridiculously long, they knew I was there but still took up enough of the road that I couldn’t even use the otherside to overtake. At no point did I rev/gun the engine, drive to close or attempt an overtake. Finally I gave a short beep – that was it, lots of **** symbols etc etc so I leaned out of the window and said ‘why’ – que ‘come on mate lets have you etc’. I said wtf and drove on. They passed me about 2miles up the road as I was getting my bike out of the car and I walked across and said ‘hello, why’? (nothing, all looking straight ahead). Idiots.

So you leant out the window, whilst alongside a group of cyclists? I’d not be wild keen on that, you’ll naturally swerve towards them whilst doing that. Why did you use your horn? What reponse did you expect?

hora
    Free Member

No. I tooted the horn once as it was ridiculous. I pulled over further up and leaned out of myside. I was very conscious of how bad it’d look ‘road rage’ etc and the last thing I’d ever want is a confrontation between me the driver and a cyclist back then. So when they all started with the ‘come on then’ I decided to drive on. In the last mile or two I thought ‘no I’ll have this out with them and ask them why etc’ (once the car is parked up/Im on foot. Out of the car/parked up I had no qualms about asking them to clarify why they acted the way they did/why they did it. Maybe in the time inbetween sensible members within the group woke up and said ‘hey maybe that guy had a point’ hence them all avoiding any contact with me after I’d parked up.

A ‘sorry mate we were abit out of order’ would have been nice but these were (probably) Londoners with expensive kit flexing their awesome weekend warrior skills who didn’t know when to own up/be a man and say sorry?

martinhutch

A quick toot to let someone know you’re there, or you’re coming through is fine. It’s easy to get that misinterpreted though.

EG this is the most bonkers video I’ve seen for a while – seems to show correct use of the horn by the trucker to alert the cyclist to his presence, possibly misinterpreted by cyclist, who then gets into one of the barmiest confrontations I’ve ever seen…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLWaToIVl0[/video]

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

2 cars sounded their horns at us yesterday, I’m pretty sure the first was just trying to alert us to his presence (very thin twisty road) but when you’re not expecting it it sounded just as aggressive as the complete bell end that thought it appropriate to sound his just as he was alongside us, bloody close too! Dickhead! Yesterday seemed to bring out a few idiots, another passed us far too closely while the passenger was waving furiously, I’ve no doubt it was the most exercise the lass had done all year mind so we did her a favour.

It’s funny between our group we’ve all noted the most aggressive/horrible behaviour has shifted from Audi/BMW drivers to double cab pickups and women!

wl
    Free Member

Bunch of idiots inviting trouble, and they know it. I say thank god for road cycling – keeps most of these arrogant, hung-up fools off the trails.

nickc

This thread is why road cycling comes third after; off road, then running, as things I like doing….

yunki
    Free Member

A fickle old lot aren’t we?

I’ve seen much worse riding defended to the hilt on here in the past

I say thank god for road cycling – keeps most of these arrogant, hung-up fools off the trails.

It’s good fun bunnyhopping over their prostrate and groaning bodies when they venture onto the trails in the arrogant assumption that they’ll be good at it though 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, that OP post was the most boring video I’ve ever seen, yet all the self righteous roadie numpties have jumped all over it. Lordie.

MrSmith
    Free Member

So you leant out the window, whilst alongside a group of cyclists? I’d not be wild keen on that, you’ll naturally swerve towards them whilst doing that. Why did you use your horn? What reponse did you expect?

while riding 2 up in a small group through a quiet richmond park (having just slowed down a bit as there was a horse and cart coming the other way) a car drew up alongside and this mad women driver started waving a wallet at us shouting “i’m a police officer” “single file” obviously she started to encroach on our space as she had one hand on the wheel and had to lean right over over the passenger seat to look directly at us.
    one of the group may have shot up the tiny gap between me and the car shouting “AAAAAHHHHRGH you will cause an accident!” he way or may not have scraped the side of the car and hit the wing mirror with his arm while doing so while in complete control of his bike.
    if the bint had stopped i would have definitely made a complaint to the po-po
    i may have swore at her but feel it was justified as she was a danger to others and ignorant of the law.

njee20
    Free Member

No. I tooted the horn once as it was ridiculous

Same thing, your verb is a little more colloquial. So again, “why did you ‘toot’ your horn? What did you expect to happen?”. You weren’t doing it to notify them to your presence (which I don’t like, but can understand), you did it to antagonise and show your displeasure. So, what did you expect to happen? Them to blow you kisses?

BigDummy
    Free Member

It would be really good if cars had a “polite horn” that went “biiing-bong[/i]” like a lift arriving.

The driver could use it when he really didn’t mean to be a dick but felt that a sound was called for. 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Same thing, your verb is a little more colloquial.

And bear in mind that what you think of as a friendly little toot on the horn from inside the car can still be sodding loud and quite intimidating if it happens 6 feet behind you & unexpectedly.

njee20
    Free Member

Which is why I don’t like it, I’m a jumpy bugger!

BoardinBob

I say thank god for road cycling – keeps most of these arrogant, hung-up fools off the trails.

The OP video guy has footage from him at Glentress. That’s probably the funniest of all the ones he’s uploaded…

crazy-legs

Riding in Greece, the drivers would often give a toot-toot to say “I’m coming past, I’ve seen you” – we were actually warned before riding that that’s what they meant and we weren’t to go off on one giving them the finger!

Problem is in the UK, most cyclists are so used to any horn use at all meaning “GET OUT OF THE WAY YOU LYCRA-CLAD, NON-ROAD-TAX-PAYING SCUM!!” that as soon as they hear a horn (even if meant in a general “hello, coming past” way), they just start screaming and swearing.

globalti
    Free Member

I actually wish drivers would pip their horns when they were about 100 yards behind me so as to warn me as so often wind noise in my ears prevents me from hearing them. Then they sound their horns right behind me, which startles me and sends out the wrong message.

I always call out a warning when I’m about 50 yards behind horse riders so as not to startle the horses.

TiRed

I think most people know the difference between a polite toot from 10m back and the aggressive blast as they force their way past. I normally wave to say thank you to polite drivers. Surely I’m not alone?

hora
    Free Member

I think most people know the difference between a polite toot from 10m back and the aggressive blast as they force their way past. I normally wave to say thank you to polite drivers. Surely I’m not alone?

A horn can be used correctly- i.e. warn of presence/alert incase you are veering towards someone etc etc. (Some) Cyclists (and some drivers) seem to think its the red button to fight. I once had another driver say ‘use that again and I’ll feed it to you’.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Is it me. Discipline on club runs?’ is closed to new replies.