Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is it legal to eat dog in the UK?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

As the title.

For some reason, something triggered memories of chowing down on dog ribs with my old boss in Korea last night. Not the most pleasant tasting meat, but an experience.

Made me wonder if we are allowed to eat it here, or any other animals like guinea pigs etc.

alexathome
    Free Member

No, perfectly legal, tuck in.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Food crisis solved then.

RSPCA put hundreds of dogs down a day.

aP
    Free Member

Been for a takeaway after a beery night? You’ll have eaten dog.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I remember reading an article years ago about donna kebabs. They got a random selection from across london and tested them. Amongst the usual, they found horse and donkey, rodent and even seagull in there!

phil.w
    Free Member

I wouldn’t of expected it to be worth while as there ain’t so much meat on a dog.

I’d suggest getting a pig instead.

coolhandluke – most(unwanted) RSPCA dogs end up as dissection practice for veterinary students.

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant imagine why there would be a law against eating any animal unless it was on a protection list for it being close to extinction.

scaredypants

mmmmmmm, swan ! 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Swans nice it tastes a bit like a cross between Dove and Kestrel

Edric64
    Free Member

who hasen’t eaten out the odd dog?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

When I was about 18 there was an influx of Eastern Europeans in the factories were I lived, between my parents house and the factories was a lovely picturesque lake alive with some lovely examples of British wildlife. A friend befriended one of the workers who we nicknamed red ken, one day cycling past the lake we saw red ken so stopped off for a chin wag, he was ticking into his hard earned lunch, a sandwich of what looked like dark tuna, he told us it was a duck from the lake but the small blue and orange birds tasted best and pointed to some nesting kingfishers. We didn’t really talk to ken much after that.

GrahamS

I cant imagine why there would be a law against eating any animal unless it was on a protection list for it being close to extinction.

Strikes me that there could conceivably be a law that says you can’t eat an animal that was sold to you as a pet. I imagine somewhere like Dog’s Trust would be fairly upset if it found out a frequent customer was eating their rescued dogs. But maybe they just add a “Not for consumption” clause to the contract when you take the dog?

nigew
    Free Member

Trimix, someone on Dave Gormans show suggested we start eating rare or nearly extinct animals like Pandas, as he thought the supermarkets would soon catch on and start breeding them! Genius, well I thought so 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

Swans nice it tastes a bit like a cross between Dove and Kestrel

I tend to use cygnet necks to wipe my bottom clean – it’s a lot softer than using andrex puppies.
    Not to keen on eating anything that’s been used as a toilet paper alternative quite frankly.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

A friend befriended one of the workers who we nicknamed red ken, one day cycling past the lake we saw red ken so stopped off for a chin wag, he was ticking into his hard earned lunch, a sandwich of what looked like dark tuna, he told us it was a duck from the lake but the small blue and orange birds tasted best and pointed to some nesting kingfishers. We didn’t really talk to ken much after that.

😆 😆

You can eat swan if you’re invited for nosh at St John’s College, Cambridge – by Royal dispensation.

I’ve never (knowingly) eaten dog but would be surprised if tasted great. Most things get their flavour from what they eat.

BigJohn

A friend of mine – a real countryman – reckons that this is the best time to eat cygnets. Getting nice and plump, but haven’t lost their grey feathers yet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is it legal to eat dog in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.