Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it just normal to get lots of scammy replies to for sale ads now :(
  • leffeboy

As above. We put a couple of sofas on a local ‘for sale’ type list recently and every single reply apart from the person who bought it was a scam. First message was always “is it still available” followed by either “I’ll send a cheque” or “I’ll send cash by DHL Express”.

Is this just normal now – 5x the number of replies just being scams :(. This is fine for us, I’m used to Googling replies and email addresses just to check but it all seems a bit wild west to me

slackalice
    Free Member

I have a feeling that we’ll be known as the internet pioneering generation.

Before the authorities manage to contrive enough bollox to justify their absolute control over digital and online media and information.

And I’m a glass full kinda dude too, so you never know…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes, then followed by whats your best price –
    [video]https://youtu.be/u75XQdTxZRc[/video]

integerspin
    Free Member

When I see an advert for something I want my first question is often ‘is it still for sale’
    And as I am looking at ads from all over the country my respose if it’s still for sale would probably be ‘will you post it. is paypal ok’.

As far as I know when I am selling stuff I haven’t had a single scam reply.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not many scammers looking to scam random buyers though. Anything over a certain value on gumtree for instance ends up with a lightening fast offer of the full value with a deposit via [insert scam variation of the week] and shipped via some random method.
    Facebook has actually helped by being able to see a bit more about the potential buyer and have a way of tracking them down.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I must not be selling enough, however an old frame i had on facebook a few months ago has just this morning attracted the offer of a swap for a PS4 controller. 8) 8)

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve been buying and selling since the net began and yes it is IMO it is the wild west.

Did I post the tyrade of abuse I recived from someone selling a sewing machine on ebay? It was comically non sensible but off the scale in abuse terms.

On another occasion I was called a CU next Tuesday for selling a bathroom suite first come first served basis.

Then theres the I’ll pay in full by paypal if you use my courier scams as above.

TBH I will now only buy or sell on Gumtree and in person for cash.

leffeboy

Yep – anything other than bank transfer or cash in hand seems to risky. The only good thing is that they seem to be lazy so most can be found by a simple google of their email address or after that a google of the email text. It must be horrible to be in electronic banking right now as your phone lines are presumably overloaded with people complaining about being scammed but with little you can do about it 🙁

funkmasterp

What are you selling OP? I’ll buy it for my nephew, who lives in France. Thing is I’m disabled so I need to use a special courier.

wilburt
    Free Member

Here we go..as you can see the Wild West is getting to some people! This was a sewing machine BTW not exactly known to be market for fraud.

Me:

Hi,

If I buy the machine at the asking price would you give me a quick 10 minute tutorial? 🙂

Thanks

Seller:

You stupid or something you dumb piece of shit ****.off you scam

Me:

Interesting response, I can understand caution this being my first purchase but given its clear I would be collecting in person I’m not sure how you could think it would be a scam.

Seller:

**** off mate i will be reporting you! Low life uneducated scum

Reporting me for what?

Seller:

Listen you uneducated scum move off here before i do report you for attempting to scam me i aint stupid move off now

Me:
    You can’t string together a coherent sentence, put a full stop between **** and off and don’t capitalise your I’s when used mid sentence but call me uneducated?

You still haven’t said how I would be scamming you by turning up at your door giving you £60 in notes and taking the thing your selling.

Can you explain?

Seller:
    Uneducated scum why did you ask for a 10 minute tourial you daft cow piss off out of here

kayla1
    Free Member

The internet and smart phones have given The Stupid a voice and platform.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

😯

Was the tutorial to be shown how to knit a banana hammock?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it just normal to get lots of scammy replies to for sale ads now :(’ is closed to new replies.