Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • Is it just me?…carbon frames
  • scotia
    Free Member

What’s a

hih end easton hocey stick
    ?

using my powers of nothing i would guess ‘high end easton hockey stick’?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It is still in one piece and seems as strong as ever.

WCA’s sperience is why I will trust in CF. If he ain’t brokeded it, then I doubt it can be borked.

And he’s borked a Ti frame. JRA. It’s true; there are witnesses.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ti Frame – twice now. Not V impressed with a ‘frame for life’

Give me a tupperware special any day. I hit a tree at about 35mph when I mis-judged how tight the corner was on a fast road descent. The most memorable thing about that crash was the amazing ‘CLACK’ sound the frame made when it bounced off the tree trunk above me.

Joxster
    Free Member

Bike frame" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Cove Hummer

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ti Carver

I will say that this was replaced immediately under warranty without a quibble.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Why are people worried about relative strength-weight-fatigue issues? Carbon looks cool, end of debate.

dobo
    Free Member

hehe, maybe wca can arrange a ‘how tough is your bike’ contest at BBB

steel v carbon v alu – all scientifically crashed into a wall! just need some sucker to ride the bikes, hmmm

after seeing the measly effort required to kill wca Ti bike, his carbon bike durability should put many carbon bike owners minds at ease a little.

going further off topic, was at a gorrick xc race the other week and saw an orange patriot frame snapped, dont know how it happend but thought it was funny as it was probably the burliest bike i saw that day.

clubber
    Free Member

Idle jon – you asked why use cf? I reckon simply because i’d trust a really light cf frame a lot more than an alu one for reasons i stated above. Thats why all my mtbs have cf bars.

epicyclo

What’s funny about this debate, is that there are loads of people hammering around on rigid bikes with On-One carbon fibre forks. Certainly a good way to put the material to the test.

If c/f is so crap, why aren’t we hearing about these breaking right, left, and centre?

IdleJon

Idle jon – you asked why use cf? I reckon simply because i’d trust a really light cf frame a lot more than an alu one for reasons i stated above. Thats why all my mtbs have cf bars.

You haven’t actually answered the question.

clubber
    Free Member

Cf because it’s strong even when light (but expensive). That is what I stated above.

IdleJon

Like many things to do with mtbs, c/f has its own evangelists, those who will swear by its magical, rather indefinable properties.

Of course those magical properties have nothing to do with the price tag, the rarity and pose factor.

The best bikes I’ve ever ridden were good bikes because of their design, rather than their material. The two worst bikes were in fact carbon, but they were both Scotts, and almost by definition rubbish, so I’ll not hold that against carbon.

hopster
    Free Member

I ride a carbon frame and can only comment on my experience. I have owned it for roughly a year and it has proven to be a brilliant ride and not unlike a Merlin extralight I owned in the mid 90’s but stiffer and lighter. For a hardtail its really comfortable and has shrugged off rocks without any problems.

Modern quality CF frames are carefully designed to give strength and impact resistance and I’d have no hesitation in buying another.

clubber
    Free Member

Of course those magical properties have nothing to do with the price tag, the rarity and pose factor.

Not for me – I’ve explained above why I think it’s good for bikes and I’m certainly no carbon evangelist, not even owning a cf bike.

The best bikes I’ve ever ridden were good bikes because of their design, rather than their material

absolutely – totally agree. Of course, good design and good use of material is the best combination…

Joxster
    Free Member

What you need is a Kirk Precision 😛

brakes
    Free Member

does anyone know why DH race bikes aren’t carbon then?

twohats
    Free Member

does anyone know why DH race bikes aren’t carbon then?

GT have one that Mick Hannah is doing rather well on.

Joxster
    Free Member

He must be effin’ good, it’s got no pedals 😯

Dasha
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’ve read this shit!

twohats
    Free Member

He must be effin’ good, it’s got no pedals [8O]

Or a rider 😕

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Well put clubber. Always makes me chuckle when you get the experts on here banging on about CF not being the right material for mountain biking, usually with no personal experience. I only know two people with carbon frames. One has been thrashed all around the UK and three Alpine trips – heavy rider too. The other has an old GT carbon LTS from about 1999/2000 – that has been thrashed too and the thing that broke on it was the Alu seatmast, which was fixed.

No doubt an internet/google expert will be along in a minute to correct me.

clubber
    Free Member

Some dh bikes are carbon and it’ll become increasingly common. The main reason I reckon more aren’t is to do with the prospective buyers believing much of the rubbish above 😉

IdleJon

clubber, the evangelist thing wasn’t aimed at you – I think we probably agree on the basics. I’ve not got a big problem with carbon apart from the marketing crap that goes with it.

Well put clubber. Always makes me chuckle when you get the experts on here banging on about CF not being the right material for mountain biking, usually with no personal experience. I only know two people with carbon frames. One has been thrashed all around the UK and three Alpine trips – heavy rider too. The other has an old GT carbon LTS from about 1999/2000 – that has been thrashed too and the thing that broke on it was the Alu seatmast, which was fixed.

No doubt an internet/google expert will be along in a minute to correct me.

You were doing so well until you mentioned the GT and rubbished your own post. Basically if it was me still riding a 1999 LTS I’d have the air ambulance following me wherever I went.

mcboo
    Free Member

I think for a lot of people carbon just feels “wrong” on something that is meant to be thrown about. I had a carbon Scott Genius MC10, very light and gucci, used it for general XC stuff, no jumping around……snapped it doing a very routine ride around Epping.

That has pretty much put me off CF for life I reckon. I know I got seduced by the “ooooh its carbon” thing when I bought it, remember the manufacturers have a vested interest in keeping the technology cutting edge, some of that is great, some of it pointless.

I moved onto an aluminium SC Blur LT, a far far better bike than the carbon Scott for reasons of design not material. I’m now seeing SC are bringing out a carbon Blur which I’m sure will have mega bling appeal but does beg the question, whats the point?

Next project for me is a road bike, reckon it will be Ti, something I can live with and enjoy for a long time without having kittens if I drop it it putting it into the car.

brakes
    Free Member

Yay!!

“Marc Beaumont is loving his carbon GT… it’s not built from carbon for it’s lightweight but more for it’s ability to absorb the hits.It’s an eerily silent ride too.
    Mick Hannah had a big off in the rocks last weekend with the bike landing hard on the sharp stuff. Not a mark on her.”

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Well IdleJon (firstly I bow to you, you’re the best). So you know the guy I’m talking about? His GT was bought cheap when GT went into administration. My point (which you failed to grasp as you were hanging onto the old GT stories and obviously being cool and old skool), was that the alu mast gave in before the carbon – he’s a very fast, hard riding experienced guy.

You were doing well in some of your well informed posts until you banged out the same mundane old dross like ‘pose factor’ and ‘magical properties’ and rubbished them. People who say those kind of things are usually the worst kind of bike snobs.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Ive had a couple of massive stacks on my Scale but unlike my carbon fibre ribs, my frame remains unscathed

cynic-al
    Free Member

CF – the best contender yet for “highest number of strongly felt but useless opinions of armchair engineers”?

IdleJon

Sorry ChunkyMTB <Hangs head in disgrace at being told off>

My point being that your story is as anecdotal as any other on here – you’ve got two friends who have carbon bikes, and one has had his for ages without the carbon breaking. Good for him. The original question stands – is that LTS any better for being carbon? (Try and ignore the fact that most 90s c/f frames were truly awful by any modern standard).

I’d also suggest that most of us are very fast, hard riding experienced types and have lots of similar friends. Or at least we are/have when it comes to sitting behind a keyboard.

I’ve had to laugh at the bike snob bit. Genuinely never been called that before.

compositepro
    Free Member

im going to have to remember armchair engineer…it made me laff

Free Member

back to the OP.

Perhaps I have missed the mark on this, and skim-reading the posts already here, but, my humble understanding is that the fatigue testing cycles involved in getting a (din?) certification is massive for ‘metal’ frames, whereas you make a frame out of carbon and that fatigue testing cycle is reduced?

ergo a cheaper frame to produce?

I might have my knickers in a twist, and I might have overheard the wrong conversation, and it might just be that its been a really long day of doing a fat lot of nothing… however, I might just have hit the nail on the head.

what do you think? (i’m not preaching, just posing the thought)

jt

aracer
    Free Member

I might have my knickers in a twist, and I might have overheard the wrong conversation

Yep – all the test results I’ve ever seen have had them giving up trying to fatigue the cf bikes when the metal ones had gone many thousands of cycles earlier. I think you’ve picked up the gist of the conversation backwards.

kevonakona
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Was put off cf when this happened (to be fair the chain stay was pretty dinged as well)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that looks suspiciously still in one piece. So your issue is that you have a big impact of some sort (might be more useful with a little context), and a cf frame gets damaged?

Well the stay is cracked all the way round and what you can see is splintered and deliminated through its depth. The chain stay is Al and pretty bent out of shape and this was a point stress break on what i would assume is one of the structurally weaker points of the cf. Large lateral loading on a single point. Oh my roadie has plenty of cf so i should have qualified the statement with “I was put off having cf on my mtbs whenthis happened”

Dougal
    Free Member

my humble understanding is that the fatigue testing cycles involved in getting a (din?) certification is massive for ‘metal’ frames, whereas you make a frame out of carbon and that fatigue testing cycle is reduced?

The standard is set for bicycle frames, not specifically for any construction method. Steel/alu/carbon/digestives all get the same number of load-cycles on the pedal test (100000), and have to meet the same flex guidelines etc.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Overstress a metal component it will deform

While this is true for most parts on a bike it wont deform very far before it snaps and you have to notice it first before it fails suddenly.

If you want to see carbon fiber standing up to rock impacts etc then look at rallying.

I have carbon bars on my bike and they are now comming up to 5 years old and still have faith in them.
    I like how carbon never feels cold like metal.

The carbon forks on my commuter have stood up to me hitting a huge pothole at speed that took out both of my tyres with out a mark.

The only thing that has stopped me from getting a cf frame is cost though they way things are going at the moment cf is coming down compared to steal/alu/etc.

MrAgreeable

IMO £1000+ is just too spendy for a mountain bike frame that can’t be repaired if you damage or break it.

thepodge
    Free Member

most alu frames cant (reasonably) be repaired.

clubber
    Free Member

IMO £1000+ is just too spendy for a mountain bike frame that can’t be repaired if you damage or break it.

Agreed. But that’s the same for anything other than steel (and Ti though it’s a pain to get someone to actually do it so you end up sending it back to the US which costs a fortune and takes ages)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Th swingarm on my last full sus was carbon, took many rock impacts and crashes onto rocks – it’s well and truly battle-scarred 🙂 Carbon can be made to withstand rock impacts, the whole point of composites are that you can tailor, within limits, how they handle impacts and how they handle normal forces etc by adding/subtracting different material laters and weave patterns. Just because a rock flicks up and makes a loud clack doesnt mean the frame is going to be damaged. Just the same as if a rock flicks up and hits your thin-walled alu downtube it can make a right noise and still be fine, or it can be dented and buggered. Its purely down to cost – you can write off any frame, while you may be able to repair frames people rarely do to the same standard as it was new and usually use it as an excuse to find something new. If you have enough wonga to buy a CF frame then you should also be considering what happens if you snap it, personally I dont have enough wonga for a CF frame but I buy a frame thinking “if I break it can I replace it?” – it applies to all materials.

onandon
    Free Member

I have been reading this with great interest as carbon is still seen with dread and fear.

Ive been riding carbon frames for over 6 years and never had a problem.

my current bike is a carbon frame ,with carbon seat-post ,saddle and bars , i don’t even think about what the parts are made of i just go and enjoy it.

it’s now come to a point where as i wouldn’t buy any frame other than carbon after seeing all the Ti fails posted in the last few months.

each to their own and all that 🙂
    BUT trust is a huge thing when a “fail” could kill you (from any component ,made from any material)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me?…carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.