Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Is it just me or is this website becoming almost unusable?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I get exactly the same layout as trouts post above. It’s crap but bearable on an iPad, just need to refresh until the layout sorts itself out. The pop up national express ad that I seem to constantly get on my phone is annoying enough that I no longer bother looking at the site on there.

chip
    Free Member

This is what I get,

But if I zoom in a little it gets rid of the side adverts.
    If not it would be unusable.

pitduck
    Free Member

😆

tron
    Free Member

Ads pay for the site. Fine, it needs paying for. But STW does seem to have some dodgy ads. Fairly often when I visit the site I get a pop up dialog box with something along the lines of “You have a virus”. I even get it when I travel, but in whatever local language. This is on a new Android phone and my old one, so I don’t think it’s malware. Perhaps you need to check out who is placing ads on the site?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I can see that the site needs ads. But just how much of my 6-7 Megs BB are they using?

Junkyard
    Free Member

£1.49 worth?

bikebob

Yep see exactly what Trout and chip have posted. Wish I was tetchy enough to post a pic. It is not all the time, completely at random on iPad. I’ve not be able to work out the trigger but it does make the site unusable when it happens. Right now just standard RH banner and headers and footer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Reduced in the sale. Nice.

Jamie
    Free Member

Is that a Reiss? Noice!

*checks paypal account*

Mark

There’s lots I could say to lots that’s been said, but it won’t placate the ones who think there’s too many ads and that’s not changing. So I decided to fix the misfiring Hargroves ad that was breaking the site template instead.

scotroutes

I’ll give you £1.49 for it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does STW employ a tea person perchance? A jolly one? Who serves crisps and tea? And takes PayPal? I bet her fees are sky high.

Pigface
    Free Member

So grumpy Mark found something, what do the mods do around here???? 😉

I dont think there are too many ads just dont like them screwing up the screen as chip and Trout demonstrated.

Loving Junkys little tantrum 😆

boxelder

ITV on our telly and Spotify completely stop on a regular basis to run ads.
    As a subscriber, I get none on here.

atlaz
    Free Member

The excuse I have heard for the ads is that they are needed to pay for the site.

You are aware they have to pay for hosting and that most of the STW side bandwidth is for this forum, right?

That said, when I log out, the ads ARE pretty intrusive.

Cougar

what do the mods do around here????

Would sir care for a demonstration? (-:

khani
    Free Member

Loving Junkys little tantrum

He should of had a Snickers… 🙂

As said above, I don’t mind the normal adds, but as the pics above show, sometimes they were just stupid…
    Let’s hope grumpy nickers has sorted it..

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 Nooooooooo Mr Cougar (mutters under breath) 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Does the site earn from click throughs on ads?
    How much?
    If everyone clicked through on say 5 ads/day (based on daily average users), just how much would that improve the STW coffers?

allthepies
    Free Member

It might decrease the coffers due to the ad network detecting “false” clicks i.e. deliberate attempts to generate revenue via ad clicks. Google certainly withhold ad payments when this occurs.

Best to click only if you’re genuinely interested.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Loving Junkys little tantrum

FLOUNCES 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or is this website becoming almost unusable?’ is closed to new replies.