Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is it just me? Or is it always the NDS of the BB that gives up first
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

As the thread title says. Shimano external BB. Is it always the NDS that gives up first. Or is just me?

khani
    Free Member

No, me as well.. I’ve got two bb’s with the nds bearings shot in the garage.
    I think I’m gonna try and make one good one out of the two, though I’ve heard the shimano cups don’t like having the bearings knocked out and refitted,
    I’ll give it a go when I can be bothered..

shifter
    Free Member

Always nds for me too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edric64
    Free Member

Gets more crap on that side ? Maybe the chainset keeps some of the crap off the driveside bearing?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve just started noticing this, not sure it was always the case but on all the bikes, NDS is getting a little graty, DS is fine.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Me too, I tend to extend BB life by knocking DS ones out and putting them in NDS shells.

Get 2 BB’s for the price of one that way.

Tight Yorkshireman. Me. Nooooooooo.

thepurist

Yep NDS always seems worse than the DS when I take a look. I’ve re-bearinged Shimano shells with good results – even used cheapo no brand bearings packed with grease and they last fine.

P20

I haven’t noticed it, if the bb’s bust i just sling it 😆
    I wonder if the Race Face chainset were the axle is attached to the NDS is the same?

molgrips
    Free Member

More leverage on that side, it’s further away from the force opposing your pedals ie the chainring..?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Just popped the seals off and re-greased it. It is a bit better but still needs replacing. Now the age old question. Do I just order another XT one and replace again in a few months or if I throw the extra at a Hope one will I have a BB for life?

P20

I’m running King now, but i had Phil Wood bearings put in the old cups a few years ago by Sideways. They lasted over 3yrs. Under £40 at the time

chriswilk
    Free Member

overtightening?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

chriswilk – Member

overtightening?

Could be. Only ever do the tension thing up finger tight though. Across three different frames it is always the NDS so have ruled out facing of shells in my mind.
    I rarely ever ride in wet conditions. Don’t use a hose to clean the bike as it is usually just dusty. I have therefore ruled out water ingress.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me? Or is it always the NDS of the BB that gives up first’ is closed to new replies.