Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Is it just me or does anyone else hate their iPhone?
  • sok

Erm.. so what’s wrong with the iPhone GPS now?

It works fine. The problem is that I’m not risking attaching it to my bars so it’s ok to track routes and have a post-ride reminisce but it’s a pain if I want to stop and check where the turning is. It makes going out reccying new routes a pain. I tend to print a page of the relevant map and take it with me which is fine but rather defeats the purpose of a GPS to help navigation.
    I do confess that there are some bits of my phone that are good. Namely the GPS tracker that means I can go out and play all day whilst the other half keeps track of my whereabouts. That app just needs updating so it can run in the background so you don’t keep having to swap between the tracker and the map/GPS app.

DezB
    Free Member

Sometimes when I turn the scroll wheel it jumps past the menu item I want. So I turn it back and it jumps past it the other way! Quite annoying when driving.
    Sorry, I’ve just looked, this is an iPod.

footflaps

Personally my Iphone 4 is by far the best phone I’ve had yet – but most of its predecessors were HTC Windows mobiles, so beating them isn’t exactly hard….

loddrik
    Free Member

This thread is trollery of the highest order.

CountZero

see the faults – I’m not getting all CountZero about it. But I honestly don’t see texting as a bad point – I think the texting on it is really good.

Cooeee!
    Agree, it ain’t perfect, but it’s more perfect than what I had before; XDA Mini, N95, iPhone 3G, (and how sloooooowwww that seems now), ans subsequent versions will just get betterer. Others obviously agree. The call thing’s weird, I get calls at work, which is a shonky environment, all steel walls n’stuff, and don’t have any issues, and calls I make at home are, generally fine, (there’s a mast around eighty, ninety feet from where I’m writing this), but one particular mate often cuts out when I make extended calls to him. Not sure, but I think it’s at his end, he lives out in the country where signal strength is a bit iffy. TBH, the phone is secondary, I make few calls, so connection generally isn’t an issue. Texting is brilliant, although sometimes word suggestions can be a bit…odd. Why does it capitalise White, when what I want is white? It used to capitalise reading, too, though why Reading should be so important is quite beyond me…
    Thing is though, the iPhone does pretty much everything a pocket computer should do, and more, and certainly does things I never even imagined a phone could possibly do even five years ago. When I got my first iphone, there were no Android phones; why would I be interested in one now? I have too much invested in the apps I have, and some of those have no Android equivalent. The screen mount for using Copilot in the car wouldn’t fit any other phone, so again, why change now? Having the whole of England on the damn thing in 1:50k OS mapping is, something I barely imagined would be possible. Add on stuff like barcode readers, ebook readers, even a spirit level, and a really excellent still and video camera, plus an excellent ecosystem of add-on’s, I just love what the damn thing can do, and I make no apologies for being enthusiastic about such a whizzy bit of kit. Just a gadget geek, really, and always have been.

DickBarton

I hate my wife’s iPhone…mainly because I’ve been replaced by it…

_tom_
    Free Member

I hate typing on touch screens and iPhones are no exception. Blackberry Curve is a joy to type on 🙂

GrahamS

Cooeee!

*waves back and does the super-secret fanboi club symbol*

Texting is brilliant, although sometimes word suggestions can be a bit…odd.

You may enjoy: http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

Kuco

I hate typing on touch screens and iPhones are no exception. Blackberry Curve is a joy to type on

I’ve got a works bumberry curve and I have small hands and yet I still find typing easier on the iphone.

samuri
    Free Member

Games centre.

DIE DIE DIE!!!!

glenh
    Free Member

The thing I hated most about mine was the lack of any leds on the outside to tell you if you have a message.
    That was especially annoying for email, as there is no way of seeing if you have an email without unlocking the damn thing (taking of which, why the **** do i have to slide a stupid thing across the screen to unlock it when I have a passcode that I still need to enter to actually unlock it?!).

Oh, and add to that the terrible pain in the arse that itunes sync is, and I couldn’t put up with it for more than 2 months.

GrahamS

Oh, and add to that the terrible pain in the arse that itunes sync is

Plug in, press “Sync”, done. Repeat six months later when you want to make another backup. Can’t say I find it that arduous.

Agree with your point about it needing lock screen info, that is a daft omission and a common reason to jailbreak, but I wouldn’t thank them for an “Email” LED. Complete waste of battery as it would be lit constantly on my phone. And it would annoy the crap out of me when I’m trying to sleep.

glenh
    Free Member

You keep your phone by your bed?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why does it capitalise White, when what I want is white?

Yeh I got that one for the first time the other day, odd.

Lots of reasons to keep your phone by your bed – alarm, emergency situation at work, etc

Sent from my iPhone.

Tiger6791

I would like to think I’m subjective opn this as I don’t get on with Apple stuff. (I gave my Macbook air away and went back to a old Dell X1)

However…..

I love mine and I resisted getting one for a long time. (iPhone 4) It’s very good at lots of things and overall it’s much better than my HTC.

It does have flaws though and things I miss from my HTC.

The iPhone is really bad phone, it just isn’t as good as the HTC was
    Multitasking is rubbish! and in fact not really even real
    You can’t swap the battery (used to have 3 for my HTC, very useful)
    Calendar sync with Outlook isn’t quite there.

But that’s it, the rest of the stuff it’s a world apart and very good indeed.

GrahamS

You keep your phone by your bed?

Of course. It’s my book at night and my alarm in the morning. 🙂

Plus if someone rings me I don’t want to havt to go searching for it.
    Likewise if there is an emergency.

GrahamS

Multitasking is rubbish! and in fact not really even real

Not sure I get this one. I can surf the web while listening to music and recording a GPS log.
    Who is that not “real” multitasking?

Jamie
    Free Member

Damn you autocorrect!

PlopNofear
    Free Member

I’ll take any of your iPhone’s off your hands. I’ll even pay postage and packaging. 😆

Tiger6791

Not sure I get this one. I can surf the web while listening to music and recording a GPS log.

Run two music apps at once then

Run two GPS apps at once.

Granted why would you run two music apps but I used run two GPS apps on my HTC and it let me. (both used to post different results which was weird though)

I’m not saying it’s bad but and I think overall it’s the best smart phone I’ve had but perfect it isn’t.

It is weird how people are so Marmite about Apple products and feel the need to defend them or completely rubbish them.

Thought my opinion was fairly balanced.

Sorry

GrahamS

Run two music apps at once then

Umm.. okay I can’t listen to two songs playing at the same time in two different apps. Nor do I have any idea why I’d want to.

Run two GPS apps at once.

Okay I’m currently recording a GPS log in MotionX GPS while viewing my position on Google Maps. That works fine.

Tiger6791

I’ve not found a way to record two GPS logs if you go out for a run.

I may be wrong though

Also if you get a Text while using Nike + with GPS it pauses your run. Why? why! why should a text have anything to do with my run???

jam-bo

Get a better app. Runkeeper doesn’t get tripped up by texts or calls.

Just tried runkeeper and motionX together and they both seem to log.

Jamie
    Free Member

How are people running with their phones? Always figured they would get all sweaty and knackered. I know I do, hence using a Garmin Forerunner.

jam-bo

Got a Nike armband it fits in quite nicely.

Tiger6791

Stick it in an Aquapak

in fact it goes in the Aquapak for running, sailing and bike stuff

GrahamS

I’ve not found a way to record two GPS logs if you go out for a run.

Not something I’ve tried before, but I just did and MotionX GPS and Memory Map both claim to be logging my GPS position simultaneously.

Also if you get a Text while using Nike + with GPS it pauses your run. Why? why!

Because the Nike app is crap and doesn’t work properly in the background?
    Doesn’t happen with MotionX so it’s not a particular limitation of the iPhone.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or does anyone else hate their iPhone?’ is closed to new replies.