Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is it just me or can't anyone be bothered with Christmas this year?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just been wandering around Harrogate town centre over my lunchtime and the decorations are either half-arsed or completely non-existant in most shops and it feels precisely like it isn’t coming up to Christmas.

A few years ago the whole town would be lit up like, well, like a Christmas tree by now but there seems to be no effort going into it this year. I wonder if this is the hang-over of so many years of excess and greed every Christmas and people are beginning to realise Christmas shouldn’t just be a spend-frenzy.

jp-t853

Harrogate is too cool for Christmas.

It was looking lovely when I was in Bury St Edmunds yesterday

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Probably because the weather’s been far too nice to feel Christmassy. At least it has been here darn sarf.

wwaswas

I saw Jedward at Glasgow Airport a couple of weeks ago, going off to switch the city’s christmas lights on.

I’d rather they’d not bothered too.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Wow, i drove through Harrogate the other night and thought it looked amazing. Granted i wasn’t in the pedestrianized part but the Stray looks really nice at night.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

people are beginning to realise Christmas shouldn’t just be a spend-frenzy

If this is true I wonder which retail chains will be going belly up in the new year?

johnners
    Free Member

Harrogate’s Christmas lights are better than Yeovil’s. You’re just getting antsy about all that cooking.

binners

According to this mornings Guardian

Austerity Christmas

Quite a few big high street names are expected to fold in the new year

lowey

Dreading it truth be told.

1st Christmas since the wife walked out last Jan. Kids are going to be gutted.

khani
    Free Member

I know what you mean, there’s a lot less of the guff happening, same as bonfire night, normally we get non stop fireworks for at least two weeks before and after, this year there were hardly any apart from bonfire night itself
    There’s a lot of skint people about at the moment I reckon,..

prezet
    Free Member

Yep – the missus and I are having a quiet one to ourselves this year. Just us two and the dog, off to the pub for a beer, then back for a roast and watch a movie on the sofa.

Limiting present buying. And the family have agreed not to buy for each other, and only buy for the kids in the family.

Feeling much better about it already. No stress of thinking what to buy people and wasting money. No rushing around on xmas day. Bliss.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Was previously cynical about Christmas, but love it (probably more for the kids) and try to make the most of the run-up to Christmas despite constant mental workload. Wife on the other hand doesn’t like it as much anymore as her mum was going through cancer treatment (which worked) a few Christmas’s back so that’s what it reminds her of now mostly.

More skint this year, but will still make an effort, especially for stuff that’s free and getting out and about and enjoying it all. I remember the anticipation as a kid and don’t want to dampen the kids by being a grumpy sod. Some mad snow and freezing temps like the last couple of years would help.

We also tend to make stuff for presents for others (family/close friends) – usually tablet, fruit cake, beer, wine (mead this year) and stuff like that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You’re just getting antsy about all that cooking.

Too right – and I have just found out we have 5 more coming!!! That’s 12 for dinner and I am doing all the cooking. Sweet holy Jeebus!

😯

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The words “Christmas” and “sucks” have always gone together like Vodka and Tonic for me. And probably will do exactly that. Roll on 2012.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mate of mine owns a shopping centre (which is mostly empty at the moment) – he reckons xmas ‘won’t happen’ this year.
    Certainly will in our house regardless of how broke I am!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I know what you mean and I’d feel the same, only it’s my little boy’s second Christmas (he was a new born so not doing much last time) and it’ll be the first time my wife and I have actually stayed at home for Christmas day instead of going to parents etc.

So actually really dam excited this year!

jota180
    Free Member

We’re [5 of us] departing for warmer climes on the 19th and not coming back til after New year

We’re going to go out shopping when we get there to buy each other a [£10 max] gift – that’s about as much Christmassy stuff we’re doing

johnners
    Free Member

That’s 12 for dinner and I am doing all the cooking. Sweet holy Jeebus!

Drop the Yorkshires! You know it makes sense…

We love Christmas at our gaff. Looking forward to it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I know what you mean and I’d feel the same, only it’s my little boy’s second Christmas (he was a new born so not doing much last time) and it’ll be the first time my wife and I have actually stayed at home for Christmas day instead of going to parents etc.

So actually really dam excited this year!
    It is our girls’ third Christmas so similarly excited *but* my mum died in June so it is the first one we will have without either of my parents after losing dad in 2009 so it is taking the gloss off mine a bit *BUT* I am really excited about having everyone at ours for dinner as we are doing the same – having it at home so I will be cracking open the beers nice and early and chilling as I cook dinner 🙂

(My OP was more concerned with what I have seen as a *general* apathy towards it this year).

SBrock
    Free Member

It’s just soo commercial now

jon1973
    Free Member

Just the wife and I for Christmas day this year. No travelling around to relatives (we’ll see them on Boxing day and New Years). Really quite looking forward to it. Nice quiet day with no pressure to be anywhere or do anything by a certain time.

Roast duck and all the trimmings on the menu, walk down the pub, couple of drinks and come back and chill out. Brandy and Cigar for me on Chritmas evening 🙂

It’s just soo commercial now

It is, but it’s easy to avoid that aspect of it if you don’t have children. You don’t have to buy in to it if you don’t want to.

yunki
    Free Member

Mrs Yunki’s veins run 90% proof (christmas spirit) all year round..

When I met her I was very festively challenged and saw the season of goodwill as nothing more than a licence to get trollied and take advantage of the proliferation of inexperienced drinkers.. (like I needed an excuse)

I am slowly learning to appreciate the finer points though and may possibly be able to muster a few moments of xmas cheer this year..

Duggan

It’s not even December so I’m happy to not feel Christmassy for a few weeks yet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This year I don’t think it *is* all that commercial – it seems really downplayed compared to previous years.

jota180
    Free Member

This year I don’t think it *is* all that commercial – it seems really downplayed compared to previous years.

What’s happened in the past when times are hard is it just seems to start getting really busy later than the usual November frenzy you get when times are good

monksie
    Free Member

“1st Christmas since the wife walked out last Jan. Kids are going to be gutted”

Haven’t they noticed yet?

cinnamon_girl

monksie – that isn’t helpful.

wors

monksie – Member

“1st Christmas since the wife walked out last Jan. Kids are going to be gutted”

Haven’t they noticed yet?

There really are some **** knobs on here.

monksie
    Free Member

Aww come on…it was wide open. I laughed anyway.

cinnamon_girl

It’s nasty. After all you wouldn’t say it to somebody’s face would you?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Unfortunately some people would say that to someone’s face and still think it was funny. 🙁

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve calmed down now and I’m sorry Lowey. I was an arse. Not funny, not nice and not clever. Sorry.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or can't anyone be bothered with Christmas this year?’ is closed to new replies.