Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Is it just me, or ……
  • failedengineer

….. is this Spring/early Summer weather the worst we’ve ever had in the North of England?
    I’m, ahem, 60 now and I lived in Pendle for 53 years and Brampton nr Carlisle for the last 7 and I’m pretty sure I can’t remember such a cold, miserable period before.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s warm and sunny down south.

Cougar

It’s Pendle. The sea evaporates, blows inland, hits Pendle Hill and sloshes it down into the valley. I’m getting somewhat sick of it TBH.

40mpg

Not today it isnt! Blowy and moist here. We’ve had a few good days, but a real lack of consistency. Just as you get a touch of summer, back comes autumn with a gale and rain. It really needs to try harder!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not today it isnt!

It’s warm and sunny right now in Croydon. We had a couple of showers earlier, so that’s out of the way.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m down South and I tend to agree with the OP – it’s been one of the cooler years so far. Though fairly dry at least for us.

midlifecrashes

I put the washing out about an hour ago. By my estimate there’s been nearly an inch of rain since.

plumber
    Free Member

It’s Pendle. The sea evaporates, blows inland, hits Pendle Hill and sloshes it down into the valley. I’m getting somewhat sick of it TBH

I really miss Pendles weather

Coyote
    Free Member

Newton-Le-Willows here. We had a pretty good Easter but since then it’s been shit. Cold and windy pretty much all the time. Very fed up now.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s warm and sunny down south

Not down this south. Not today anyway.

failedengineer

Like I said, I live in Brampton now and if anything, the weather’s worse than Pendle up here. I work in Haltwhistle and unbelievably, it’s even worse there. Seriously though, we’ve probably had 3 days this year which your could say were Summer-like.

johndoh
    Free Member

Harrogate here – had some dry spells but nothing really warm yet. However it is nowhere near as bad as 3 or 4 years ago when I was building makeshift windbreaks to protect my little vegetable plot from having its entire contents blown down the street.

spawnofyorkshire

Huddersfield here and wondering when the chuffing sun is ever going to appear.
    Got soaked to the skin on saturdays ride above marsden

Klunk
    Free Member

think it’s been a rather nice spring 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

It’s been pretty good by Manchester standards!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

North Wales, been rubbish since Easter. The odd day now and then but it has been cold. (which is fairly normal for North Wales TBH)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Fibber.

I’m almost as far south as you can go.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the North – but not even close in South Wales – we had an especially good early spring – April was like June/July, since then we’ve the odd wet / windy day, but otherwise warm-ish, dry-ish, clear-ish, mostly over-cast with the odd shower – for my Wife who thinks it’s only Summer if it’s 25c plus and wall-to-wall blue skies it’s been rubbish – for me, who only cares that it’s light enough to ride in to the evening and not knee deep in mud – it’s been great.

Worse Summers I remember are 2007 and 2008, as far I remember, it started raining in early May and didn’t stop until October, honestly it rained every single day, up to the point when trails at Afan which had stood up to every horrible wet Winter in a decade started falling away from the hillside in huge lumps. 2006 was no walk in the park either – if I remember correctly it was so hot that, that was the year we (my mates and I) were setting alarms for 4am to get a ride in before it got too hot.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fibber.

Cross my heart. It’s a bit more cloudy now but still plenty of blue bits. Going on a road bike ride at 6.30 when I’m expecting more sunny intervals. If you’re “as far south as you can go” then you’re on the other side of England to Croydon.

yunki
    Free Member

lovely here in Devon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s definitely windier.

Trails seem to be running pretty dry down south, will find out tonight how they’ve fared after Saturdays rain through (and drizzle all day today)!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Will you southerners basking in your glorious weather please sod off. 😀

trailhound101

climate change damage… we’re all doomed.

brooess
    Free Member

Not been the warmest year so far here in London Village but my cyclist’s tan is coming on very nicely 🙂

footflaps

Can’t see this year winning any summer related awards….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…other side of England to Croydon

😆

Which side does Croydon sit on?

Stoner
    Free Member

from my good man on Mt. Malvern:

consistently cooler than last year, and than average. But no extremes.

blader1611
    Free Member

As i mentioned in another thread, we havent had that much rain (Leeds) but i cant remember the last time we had a windless day. On the days there has been a light wind it has been raining, very much a mixed bag of weather apart from a persistant wind

corroded
    Free Member

Cool, dry, and very windy is my impression of the ‘summer’ so far. My Dad would have some theory about the Gulf Stream having moved, which seems to be his main concern about climate change.

IHN

Cool, dry, and very windy is my impression of the ‘summer’ so far.

Yup

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

“…other side of England to Croydon”

😆

Which side does Croydon sit on?

Posted 6 hours ago # Report-Post

Croydon is in the South East of England, the opposite side to the South West of England – which is the most southern point in mainland UK. Croydon is 300 miles from Lizard Point. The two areas don’t always experience exactly the same weather.

Did you really need to be told that ?

nickc

I’m pretty sure I can’t remember such a cold, miserable period before.

I’m pretty sure this thread appaers every June TBH…

was down south yesterday and they’d had so much rain over the weekend the Chilterns were much much more sodden that Hebden

Bimbler
    Free Member

Although the weather in the south has been ok in terms of rainfall sunshine it’s been pretty cool, we’ve only had, what? 6 or 7 days with temps over 20C plus windy, so this

Cool, dry, and very windy is my impression of the ‘summer’ so far

Good for the renewable energy production I suppose.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s almost like the climate is changing……

loddrik
    Free Member

Been utter shite. Still waiting to go and pick some strawberries with the kids which still aren’t ready. Normally well in by now.

rOcKeTdOg

I have my annual Midland cyclists **** tan starting

bearnecessities

On that point, I munched my first ripe strawberries today in Leeds.

Mmmmm, insecty fruit.

CountZero

A bit cool down here generally, but pretty dry overall. Very sunny in Weston-Super-Mare yesterday, but bloody windy, and cold as a result; tee shirt/merino sweater/ultralight down jacket/Buffalo Windshirt, and I was still chilled, mainly because I had shorts on. Rather burned knees, now…

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s autumn in the GeordieLand … 😡

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Still got the woodstove alight here and a frost this morning 😀 from Surrey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me, or ……’ is closed to new replies.