Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is it just me? Noisy lightbulbs…
  • miketually
    Free Member

I can hear some low energy lightbulbs emitting a quiet, high-pitched ‘whistle’ when they’re switched on. We’ve one phone charger that does the same.

I also used to be able to hear when the LED ‘0’ was flashing on our old washing machine, and thermostatic radiator valves stop me hearing the TV properly when they’re on the verge of shutting off.

My wife thinks I’m mental. Is it just me?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are you part Dog?

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a PURE Evoke-1 that does the same.

Drove me crackers trying to find out where it was coming from (checked a lot of light bulbs in the process) before I eventually pulled the right plug out.

footflaps

I’ve got a PURE Evoke-1 that does the same.

We had one like that, had to change the Power module as it was driving us insane. Cheap Chinese power supply…..

wwaswas

My wife thinks I’m mental. Is it just me?

No, my wife thinks I’m mental too.

Although for entirely different reasons, it has to be said.

miketually
    Free Member

No, my wife thinks I’m mental too.

Although for entirely different reasons, it has to be said.

Oh, this isn’t the only reason.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No it’s not. I have great ultra-high pitch hearing. Really peeves me and means I’m forever messing with the hi-fi to get a smooth top end.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m glad it’s not just me 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Light bulbs, computers, hard drives, chargers, dimmer switches, TVs…

Strip lights, usually a dozen or more, also have a flicker which I can feel in the tops of my eyeballs. I get around 10 minutes before that spreads into a full-on headache.

unklehomered
    Free Member

No, NO it’s not. There’s one in my bedroom that makes a racket. Took me bloody ages to work out what it was. I think they maybe do it when on their way out.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I can hear daft shit too.

I dont get it if im passing through an airport terminal but if im staying at a hotel next an airport (presumably less background noise than the terminal) i can “hear” what i assume to be radar. 😕

andyl
    Free Member

I think a lot of lightbulbs do it when they are on their way out.

I can hear noises from most electrical goods.

Does anyone else have a thing where if you chew (or pretend to) while looking at LED or VF segment displays the characters jump around randomly? I assume it is something to do with an afterimage on my eyes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s to do with those light sources flickering very fast. The worst culprits I am aware of is the tail lights on Passats with round LED clusters. One of the older models had a VERY low refresh rate on the LEDs that leaves several after-images if your eyes pass over them.

cbike
    Free Member

Visual saccad. Also why car drivers don’t see cyclists. When your eye moves, the brain turns the image off!

MoreCashThanDash

We have three in the dining room that buzz for about 5 minutes till they up to temperature or whatever it is.

REALLY annoying! 👿

enfht
    Free Member

I see dead people.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I can hear Peter Allen breathing between 5-7pm every week day.

MoreCashThanDash

I used to hear the Peter Allen thing but then I started commuting by bike. Seemed to cure it.

phiiiiil

We have a stereo in the kitchen that used to drive me crackers if you stuck an ipod in it, it would whistle while it was docked and then for a day or so afterwards. I took it to bits and prodded about inside it until I found the offending component, slathered it in PVA glue, waited for it to dry and tada, peace at last!

piemonster

I’m glad it’s not just me

No, I hear them too.

GF thinks it mental.

But then, she can smell all sorts of things I can’t. Must have been all those year surrounding by cow crap on the farm.

ads678

I can hear Peter Allen breathing between 5-7pm every week day.

Better than Adrian **** Chiles though!!

Clover

There was a sonic movement sensor on a fire alarm at a tudor house museum down the road from me when I was younger. It drove me nuts – still hear the odd thing that few other people hear but either the technology has changed or my hearing is now going at that higher end.

That said, I didn’t hear it as a noise, more felt it as a pain, like someone scratching a line between my ears. I also get an occasional ‘chirrup’ when there are bats around.

CountZero

I can sometimes hear a high-pitched whistle from LED flashlights, which is remarkable considering my age and exposure to loud gigs over the years.
    The other thing I find distracting is LED displays on pedestrian crossings, the little red man on the control unit; looking at them quickly then looking away leaves a string of little after-images, due to them strobing.
    Does cool things shining a bright LED torch into falling rain, though.

senorj

We have a lamp that whistles – til it warms up.
    &my little boy thinks the radio in our bathroom is called Peter(Allen).
    🙂

phiiiiil

Does cool things shining a bright LED torch into falling rain, though.

Just like the effect of bar-mounted LED lights on knobbly tyres as the flicker interferes with the rate of knobbles going past at different speeds.

It’s what keeps me entertained on my rides home from work in winter (that and picking myself up off the ground after crashing from paying too much attention to the above…)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me? Noisy lightbulbs…’ is closed to new replies.