Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • is it easy to fit a new internal door and frame??
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.
    we want to put in a new door/door frame between the dining room and hall way .

it will be going in a place where there has not been a door previously.

how hard is it to fit a new frame and then the door into the frame??

anything i need to look out for??

cheers

steve

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

anything i need to look out for??

Yeah, cough up and get yourself a carpenter.

Failing that, get yourself a pre-hung door set.

Good luck.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, cough up and get yourself a carpenter.

+1 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….and probably a lintel 💡

project
    Free Member

Ensure the frame fits,and if you cut the frame down, you may not be able to cut the door down especially the cheaper white embosed doors.

Remeber to put the frame in the right way round, so it allows the door to open into or out of the room.

TooTall
    Free Member

I'll say it – load bearing wall? Services in the wall? Does it need to be a fire door?

project
    Free Member

Would you fix your car /cooker/fridge,or deliver your wifes baby yourself, NO, then why not get an equally qualified chap to fit your door and frame.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it a brick wall your knocking through? 😯

renton
    Free Member

here are a few piccies of where we would like to put it…..

we want to put it where the angled wall on the right comes down to the floor.

and from the other side…..

it will be just after the trunking for the rad pipes..

does it look easy enough??

renton
    Free Member

to be fair ive done most of the other stuff in the house including partition walls , fitting the kitchen etc so thought i would have a go at this…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ive done most of the other stuff in the house including partition walls , fitting the kitchen etc

Go for it then. Just take your time and use sharp tools……..but you already knew that eh ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would still recommend a pre-hung set though.

No idea how easy they are to buy as I never buy materials.

Ambrose

looks easy enough for me. Get a door frame from DiY megastore. Make sure it is smaller than the opening you are planning to fit it into. Remove laminate flooring. Put new door frame in place. Fix to floor/ walls temporarily, build frame around door frame.

In your situation it will be easy peasy lemon squeasy, just take care for services etc, and remember, measure twice, cut once.

FWIW, you may lose light once door is fitted- have you considered a glass panelled one?

renton
    Free Member

yep ambrose was considering a glass panel door..

project
    Free Member

there appears to a radiator there,also you will have to build a stud frame to close up the gap, depending on the size of your existing doors, also which way and side is the door going to be hung,a solid door will make the hallway dar, so possibly go for half glazed or 15 pannel fully glazed, unless youhave pets, they tend to rub their noses all over glass fully glazed doors and become a nuisance to keep clean.

andrewh
    Free Member

If just putting one into a roughly-door-sized hole, go for it.
    If knocking a wall section out to create said hole, get a professional.

Looks from your pics like just putting one into an existing space. Worst that will happen is that it may look a bit rubbish, your house won't fall over if you get it wrong, and you probably won't. Overkill to get a carpenter to do that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Worst that will happen is that it may look a bit rubbish …………….. Overkill to get a carpenter to do that.

😕

Ambrose

A proper chips will do a good job though. If it was me doing it though I'd just get on with it. If you've fitted a kitchen sucessfully a doorway like this will be a doddle. Take your time, that is all.

Crag
    Free Member

Get a chippie in. It would be surprisingly cheap and for the money it would cost it would be well worth it. At least then you'd have a door that was hung rather than swung.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Prehung doorsets you say?

http://Www.premdor.co.uk

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘is it easy to fit a new internal door and frame??’ is closed to new replies.