Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is it difficult to replace a fan oven element yourself?
  • johnhe

We have a Belling fan oven which is doing nothing but blowing out cold air. I have cunningly deduced that the element is probably broken. Is this a simple thing to order up and fit myself? Or will it leave me wishing I had called in a professional?

alfabus
    Free Member

are you sure you haven’t bought a fridge by accident?

johnhe

Mmmm. Maybe it’s one of those cooker fridges?

Moses

i did it with mine – the elephant burned out after 10 years.
    If i could, you could.

boblo
    Free Member

POP. Just don’t buy the absolute cheapest off eBay. I did and it went again a few weeks later.

withersea
    Free Member

An elephant in your oven, how big was it! Must have been huge to burn for ten years….

scotroutes

Piece.of.piss

stox
    Free Member

I managed it so must be easy!

Got mine online from espares who were great and they even have a video which shows you how to change it.

bruneep

i did it with mine – the elephant burned out after 10 years.

😀

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had a smeg, ,lovely to look at but utter useless italian reliability, it would blow an element at least every 10 months. soon learned how to go about it.

just make sure you turn off the electricity!!!

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Done it a few times on mine since we started cooking homemade pizza on full load. Takes about 10 minutes. If yours is similar, and you can use a screwdriver, you can do it no problems.

Just make sure you switch off at fuseboard first.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Its a piece of piss. Just take it out, check for continuity, if it fails its gone. Go online buy a new one and fit.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve just done mine!

it was a bit fiddly to remove the terminals, but i got there in the end.

no elephants though…

MrNutt
    Free Member

its very easy, just a bit fiddly

johndoh
    Free Member

Done mine twice in the last 13 years its been there. It’s much easier than the hinges look like they will be to replace (door not closing properly now).

Gilesey
    Free Member

Wot they all said, should be really easy. Check you can easily remove the existing one 1st then order up a replacement. I can utterly recommend the element man linky. Not only a great name which IMO is right up there with extractorfanworld and the ironing maiden as best names for a business ever, also has helpful humans behind the website able to patiently answer the most basic DIY questions.

CaptainSlow

On mine the element was at the back.

It was as simple as turning off the power (don’t forget that bit…). Remove the 4 screws holding on the backing plate inside the oven. Remove 3 screw holding in the element. Disconnect the element. Put the new element in and screw it all back together.

Turn on the electricity and ask your wife/life partner to test it with the back of their hand 😉

Then, providing it’s working again, test that it gets to the right temp afterwards by either using the sugar melting method or a thermometer (I used sugar).

oldkit56
    Free Member

Hi, replaced the fan motor on girlfriends oven last week.
    Built in oven, took less than one hour.
    Searched all over the web for a motor then remembered the local appliance spares shop about 400 yards away, got the right one for the job not a universal and cheaper than everywhere else.
    Element shouldn’t be a lot more hassle.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Kit 🙂

LenHankie

+1 for Espares. Easy to find the right part and there’s a full tutorial on their site. I found the job simple to do, even with no prior knowledge.

totalshell

piece of urine.. top blokey job that earns box of brownie points..

tootallpaul

+ another 1 for espares.

Easy job.

johndoh
    Free Member

top blokey job that earns box of brownie points..

This 8)

boblo
    Free Member

E spares have vids on how to do this if removing ~6 screws is a bit too taxing…..

therealhoops
    Free Member

PIECE.

OF.

WEE.

CaptainSlow

Umm – Are you sure that couldnt be accessed through the oven door old chap or is one having a giraffe? 😀

therealhoops
    Free Member

Not really, the screws were corroded so had to be drilled out. Also, it’s easier to get to the electrical connection.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is it difficult to replace a fan oven element yourself?’ is closed to new replies.