• This topic has 95 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • is it dangerous to live near an electricity SUB station?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

not the huge pylons that are 100ft high, but the sub stations.im looking at buying a house and 150 ft away are three grey boxes each about the size of a van inside a compound.
    are these dangerous at all long term or am i paranoid?
    Has anything conclusive ever been proven?

odannyboy
    Free Member

just to clarify there are no pylons going to or from it.just three boxes above ground and everything else is underground.supplys the village i guess.

IanMunro
    Free Member

No.

falkirk-mark

I am sure a number of years ago there were allegations of higher instances of blood disorders and suchlike in kids ,but that was when the house was right next to the subby

davidrussell
    Free Member

you might even get the opportunity to see some nocturnal ne'er do well lighting up like a christmas tree as they attempt to steal some copper or something.

teef
    Free Member

Iron in your blood – oscillating magnetic field – why take the risk? Even if there where any studies showing ill effects I doubt if they'd have been published – hushed up more like.

wwaswas

please think of the children;

IanMunro
    Free Member

Iron in your blood – oscillating magnetic field – why take the risk?

I'm impressed on how you managed to post that from a non electricity powered computer 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Iron in your blood – oscillating magnetic field – why take the risk? Even if there where any studies showing ill effects I doubt if they'd have been published – hushed up more like

Good grief. I take it you'll be having none of that electrickery in your home then?

tracknicko
    Free Member

half the sub stations we specified when i worked in such a place were INSIDE buildings. so NO.

Cougar

teef > You're probably at a higher risk than most because of that tinfoil hat.

People like scare stories. I read a story a little while ago about local residents in an area kicking off because they were blaming a mobile phone mast for making them ill. Turned out that the mast had been built but for some reason never enabled, it was just an empty shell.

wwaswas

so it might well be a placebo sub-station?

hora
    Free Member

I am sure a number of years ago there were allegations of higher instances of blood disorders and suchlike in kids ,but that was when the house was right next to the subby

No they werent right next door. Same street etc.

EVEN if it was tinfoil etc- your health is worth more than £20,000 cheaper than a house on another street.

Remember, you'll also have to sell your house later on and it can affect marketability.

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

I live near a USB port.
    Is THAT safe?

Cougar

so it might well be a placebo sub-station?

*snort* (-:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes it will kill you and all of your friends and make you smell……. thats what the Express said

davidrussell
    Free Member

batteries are DC though eh?

at least the wife will be safe…

Cougar

a number of years ago there were allegations of blah blah

There will always be allegations, anecdotal evidence, hearsay and conjecture. None of which makes a fig of difference to whether it's true or not.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Aye, but DC still generates a magnetic field. So it's still going to suck all the iron to one side of your body making the other half anaemic.

teef
    Free Member

"I'm impressed on how you managed to post that from a non electricity powered computer"

The current, voltage and magnetic field are much higher in a substation than in the home – my college electrical lecturer advised not to live within 50m of a substation, particularly if you had children.

wwaswas

IanM – so if I sit on a swivel chair and turn at constant rate the iron will remain evenly distributed around my body?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have it on good authority that a polystyrene hat will save you

hora
    Free Member

Next people will be saying living near mobile phone masts is safe. 🙄

tracknicko
    Free Member

apparently if you brush your teeth twice a day.

drink/don't drink half a glass of red wine a day

take/dont take half an aspirin a day.

etc. etc.

you are/are not guaranteed to live longer/die sooner.

all of these studies contradict each other and are generally bollocks.

you are destined to die eventually anyway. millions of people live next to substations without realising. and generally without dropping dead over breakfast.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Aye, but DC still generates a magnetic field. So it's still going to suck all the iron to one side of your body making the other half anaemic.

so all the colour will start draining from her face?

a bit too subtle methinks 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

😳 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

This thread has moments of real brilliance, and has given me great pleasure. Thank you. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

was the lecturer a biologist too?

odannyboy
    Free Member

tin foil hat! ha ha love it!

Cougar

my college electrical lecturer advised not to live within 50m of a substation

Ah yes, I forgot about False Authority Syndrome. Was he a research scientist, or a medical doctor perhaps? Hey, my mum says it's nonsense, and she's a pharmacist, so she should KNOW.

Here's a fact. There have been many studies into health risks posed by pylons and phone masts, and not one has discoved any conclusive risks. On the other hand, it's the sort of thing that gets "exclusively revealed by The Sun" every time it's a slow news week.

odannyboy
    Free Member

im an ac dc fan…if that would help? 😆

Cougar

Good point. I'm be in trouble too, cos I'm METAL \m/

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think the fluorescent tube test is a good one.
    Get fluorescent tube from your kitchen or fish-tank and stand outside the house at night holding one end of it. If it lights up you probably don't want to live there.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Another piece of good advice, when you 're thinking of buying a house is to visit the area at night. If there are men standing about on the pavement holding the fluorescent tubes from fishtanks you probably don't want to live there.

odannyboy
    Free Member

there's some real bright sparks on here, can see there being a lot of resistance to somepeople's opinions.
    😆

Cougar

BigDummy > you owe me a new keyboard, this one's now full of coffee.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You've just made me chuckle out loud BD. Dunno if COL! is an internet acronym but I feel it should be.

Cougar

I think the fluorescent tube test is a good one.

Why, what's it prove? That moving through a magnetic field induces current? I don't need to run round at night doing Luke Skywalker impressions to discover that, I learned it at school. Without it, I wouldn't be able to play the kick drum on Rock Band.

What it doesn't prove, outside of the tabloids, is whether that has any effect on our health.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

my college electrical lecturer advised not to live within 50m of a substation, particularly if you had children.

Well children would be useful in this situation if there might be a problem – kinda like taking canaries when mining.

Cougar

I am so loving this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘is it dangerous to live near an electricity SUB station?’ is closed to new replies.