Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Is it bad parenting to buy my 9yr old a Swiss Army knife?
  • CountZero

I honestly can’t remember a time when I haven’t had a knife of some sort with me, I even used to carry a small, twin-bladed Wilkinson Sword penknife to school, or some other small, cheap knife. Used it to sharpen pencils, did a better job than the shonky things we had in class.
    Used to carry sheath knives when I was out in the countryside or in the woods, never an issue.
    Now told I can’t use my own knife at work, for cutting packing straps, cardboard boxes, zipties, etc., in case I cut myself and sue the company!
    Load of bollocks, I’m more likely to cut myself with the flimsy, shonky plastic crap I’m issued instead.
    I used to carry a SAK, in a custom leather sheath that ran along my belt, used it for donkeys years, but I was always afraid I’d shut the blade on my own fingers!

StirlingCrispin

My 9-year old says “No!”.

Thump has been borrowing my pen knife for 2 or 3 years now. Mainly used it for whittling and we’ve had a few blood moments – caused by the blade shutting on his fingers or by forgetting which is the sharp side. He healed.

For his 9th birthday Thump bought himself the Victorinox DofE knife with rounded main blade. He also has a magnesium firestarter* which is only to be used under very close supervision – and gets brought out when camping

* He wanted this one but it’s not legal in Scotland!
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife-a5120048

matt_outandabout

It’s a good thing. It teaches them it if a tool, not a weapon.

I have knives for my kids. I would go fixed blade, and a really sharp one, for safety. Cheap Mora knives are ace, you can get short bladed ‘electricians’ knives, or the normal length.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yeah go for it, but show him how to use it. I got one around that age. Was splitting firewood for years at that point.

manton69

Yes and No. Don’t buy a swiss army type as they do close on you. You and get junior opinels as a good start for how to use and care for a knife. All the kids in our family have one from about 5 onwards. We do a lot of camping in the wilds and you own penknife is a practical tool. If they get to age 7 and go off to camp without their own knife they are very unusual (possibly an exception) so they have had to have a couple of yearsof learnig how to use and care for it before they go away without parental supervision (they are supervised by staff btw).

As others have said if you teach them that it is a tool, not a toy and they learn how to use it safely (blood bubble principle) and what to use it on (start with bits of hazel and work your way up to fire lighting, spoon making and general whittling, etc.) they will have loads of fun.

We take hundreds of kids on wild camps and in general they are not country types. Once the novelty wears off they realise how useful a knife is when camping and are lost if they break or lose it.

Go for it and have fun teaching him 🙂

XXX
    Free Member

Bought both mine, aged 8 & 11, an opinel in France last year. Many plasters later I realised my 8 year old wasnt quite old enough yet. Prob ok if supervised full time but that’s not the point really…..

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Not a good idea.

Even a multi-tool is tricky as they will find something to take apart and not put together again!

How about some bike parts or tickets to his favourite team?

CHB

I had a butterfly knife and a flick knife by the age of 8. Broadly turned out ok 30 years later! both my kids have had swiss army knives from the age they asked for them…around 10 in my case. Trust your kids, accept a few cuts and be assured that this is the best way of raising a responsible next generation of adults.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Try something like an Opinel or similar without a sprung blade. I’ve done more damage to my fingers closing Swiss style knives than I ever have with a simple single blade locking collar. Plus they age beautifully

donks
    Free Member

If he’s anything like my lad the little bastard will hack away at the banisters, bedside table and just about anything else made of wood in the house,

bones
    Free Member

* He wanted this one but it’s not legal in Scotland!
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife-a5120048

Why is it illegal?

milky1980
    Free Member

I had knives of various sorts for my fishing when I was around that age. Never got into any trouble with it bar the odd nick.

Apart from when I got busted with it in school. I used my school bag for fishing and forgot it was in the bottom of it. Just my luck it was that day someone nicked something from the lab and all our bags were searched. Cue a call to my parents and a worrying talk with the head 😐

stuey
    Free Member

Opinel are lovely – iirc you have to buy non-locking versions to be lawful..https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

– I bought my 8 year old a nice Mora whittling knife – unwrapping the parcel, it fell and sliced the jiffy bag ‘mid air’ – decided it was a bit ‘too’ sharp, and gave him my old Opinel to practise with.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, if you don’t follow up with .22 air rifle and .410 poachers gun

allfankledup

So I bought an air arms s200 for my ten yr old, hawke airmax scope etc

He’s had training from a local club coach and has accompanied me around some hft competitions this year

Give the kid the boundaries and education, matched with suitable supervision and you should be good. You know your kid, and will act appropriately.

I blame Stw (and thank) for reigniting my interest in shooting again, it’s been awesome.

matt_outandabout

I forgot to add – we have some really simple rules, that I use with our kids and for teachers using bladed tools with kids.

– If you are not using it that second, it is ALWAYS in sheath/box/bag.
    – Work from a sat or kneeling position, with a circle of safety around you (anything/person should be out of reach when working)
    – Always cut way from you (that includes fingers) onto a suitable surface (wood).

My lad, aged 6 using one of our Mora’s.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/cqVt9j]Loch Voil canoe pootle[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

augustuswindsock

Thanks folks, you’ve convinced me, I’ll show this thread to his mum and see if she’s swayed!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Is it bad parenting to buy my 9yr old a Swiss Army knife?’ is closed to new replies.