Blimey, is it no wonder nothing gets done and people dont get an opportunity to do stuff nowadays.
I run a small yet relatively succesful manufacturing businesses specializing in quite unique products. We have a team of excellent staff who have developed skills with us and have all been with us for several years. As a small manufacturing businesses we are often under pressure, and to make things works we all have to do what we can despite position etc, as we cant afford to carry any dead weight.
However we run our businesses in a reponsinsible and correct way, and in general have happy and satisfied staff. Very rarely do we have the time and resources to take on work experience lads. However I was asked recently by a friend whether his 18 year old son could get a 5 day placement with us, as he was really keen to try something different in engineering and had a real interest in what we do. So keen to give this lad an opportunity I agreed, as a favour to both him and the local tech college where he studies.
I was soon contacted by the admin bods from the college with a request to come and do a H&S assesment to check all was ok. I have no exception to this, as I accept these things have to be done nowadays, until I get this request by email at 4pm in readiness for a 9am visit the next day:-
Please have the following prepared and ready for my inspection at our morning meeting
1. Employer and public liability insurance expiry date
2. Insurance company name
3. Amount of indemnity
4. Written confirmation from your insurers that Learners are covered?
5. Is the learner required to drive a company vehicle ( e.g. van ), if so insurance details.
6. H & S Policy and person responsible.
7. Fire risk assessment and review date.
8. Written fire precautions, drills, sinage, exits, etc.
9. Fire extinguishers, and certificates of date last checked.
10. First aid, person trained and place where kit is kept.
11. Please provide written document about any safety equipment and protective clothing.
12. If you have 5 or more employees please prepare a risk assessment to cover learners.
13. Induction and format what's included
14. RIDDOR, COSHH, written details of storage of substances, lifting equipment.
15. Electricity at work policy
16. Written detail of Manual handling procedures
So I promptly told him I was too busy to deal with all that, and perhaps it would be best if he looked elsewhere.
So the lad just faces the same souless placement in a massive corporation. And leaves you feeling like they are doing you favour. Is it any wonder why our enginering and manufacturing industries are dying.
Rant over, thanks for reading