Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • is it actually illegal to bury asbestos sheets?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I have 2 garage and 1 shed roofs worth of asbestos which is becoming a real pain to get rid of here in Gloucestershire, short of a £600 skip. The largest sheets are 8′ x 4′. It’s currently all removed and stored in the floor, so would it actually be illegal for me to store it in the concrete base of the garage i’m (slowly) building?

Stoner
    Free Member

I was able to take 20+ 8’x4′ sheets to the local (Malvern, Worcs) council waste/recycling centre (they have an asbestos safe) on a trailer – I phoned ahead to check and they said it was OK. Had been quoted £600 quid by a firm. There’s a thread somewhere…

Burying it on site was discussed, but since the Council came good there was no need. TBH burying it is all they do with it anyway 🙂

gsp1984
    Free Member

Yes, illegal… it needs to be disposed of correctly.

The panels them selves are asbestos cement, and fine to handle, they don’t need to be removed by a licensed contractor.

If you bury them in the garage floor concrete base, and someone comes along years later with a pnuematic hammer to break up the floor, or drills the floor to fit a ground anchor, then they risk being exposed, and you could be liable.

gsp1984
    Free Member

It’s buried as hazardous waste in proper locations which are then noted and monitored.

Burying it in your garden, or as above for someone to find in a few years time is not acceptable.

Stoner
    Free Member
    qwerty
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner, Gloucestershire have no disposal site for the volume i have, Smiths want £600 for a skip, Bristol City Council look like they will take it… if double wrapped. As long as they don’t expect it to have come from a Bristol household i think thats where its headed. The irony is that i’m about 2 miles away from an old asbestos factory site and my local / county council won’t touch it with a barge pole.

If you bury them in the garage floor concrete base, and someone comes along years later with a pnuematic hammer to break up the floor

yea, i know. Damn having a conscience!!!!!!

wwaswas

A freind’s sister buried her asbestos garage under a new patio.

Neighbour dobbed her in.

Letter from the council;

“We can’t stop you doing this but we will record your garden as a hazardous waste area for any searches future purcashers of your property might do.”

Cost quite a lot to get the concrete dug up and the asbestos removed…

martinhutch

My local tip took asbestos-based roof tiles as long as they were double wrapped. They just lobbed them in a skip at the site. Give your lot a ring and they’ll advise. Certainly no need to pay £100s to a firm to do it.

It’s best not to break them up in order to make them easier to wrap, obviously, and general precautions (disposable boilersuit/mask) are sensible.

qwerty
    Free Member

My local tip took asbestos

mine will only take it in the bags they provide which iirc are 4′ x 6′ my sheets won’t fit in their bags so they won’t accept it.

STONER – do you recall if they asked for a utility bill to prove the waste is from their county?

allthepies
    Free Member

Thank god for the curtain twitchers 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Gloucestershire have no disposal site for the volume i have

Multiple trips with smaller volumes?

Stoner
    Free Member

qwerty – nope, they really didnt show much interest in me at all.

qwerty
    Free Member

ok – ta

AAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGGGGGGGGGG – if its brought in in a van Bristol want the van hire agreement to prove its not a commercial vehicle and a utility bill to prove that its origin is from within Avon – they won’t take Gloucestershires!!!!!!!!!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

know any one in bristol then qwerty ?

qwerty
    Free Member

i think i should do what the Pikeys who took away our old oil tanks said and just fly tip it somewhere it’ll be found – that way the council have to deal with its removal!!!

Edric64
    Free Member

I had this problem just to get rid of old furniture and crap from a house when my uncle died .Bristol City Council wouldnt take it because I turned up in my van .So I brought it home and disposed of it in Mendip .Who take asbestos at Street recycling centre by the way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

it does rile my piss that the council want us to do the right thing , dispose of shit at recycling centres and yet make it as hard as possible

aberdeen city council regularly give me shit about my van when i go to the tip.

its a small unmarked peugeot partner. i generally fill my garage of crap (im renovating a house) then do a few trips to the skip on a weekend with all sorts of crap.

every time its the same ” is that commercial waste” “no” ” why are you using a van” “because this is my private car” ” why are you doing lots of trips today ” “because i dont want to stop working every 10 minutes to dispose of a van load , i keep it in my garage till i can spare a day to move it” “you should have a sepa licence for transporting trade waste” “it is not trade waste its from my private residence that i live in ”

basically every time i go in im treated as scum for driving a van – yet i could happily drive in and out all day with a car and trailer at weekend ……with trade waste.

Edric64
    Free Member

Where in Glos are you ? They take it at Bridgwater .If its on a van pop down the motorway .Cheaper than a skip ,it must be wrapped as above posts say .Somerset waste partnership collect in our area for £80 + vat

convert

tail_rat – does your council have a permit system? Our does – 1min to fill in an online form and I got a permit through the post a couple of days later. It allows my to take my private non-trade fiat ducato into the centre no questions asked. Without it I couldn’t get in at all.

wwaswas

Brighton council now have a policy of no more than 6 rubble sacks of, errm, rubble from any household in any one month. Any more they see as waste that should be charged for landfill.

qwerty
    Free Member

Smiths = £763.20 for two tons 😯

mrchrispy

Just grind them up into a fine powder and dump the bags at the top of the school playing field…….what’s the worst that could happen? 😐

Edric64
    Free Member

Depends on the school ,but its a slow killer so even if the school is full of neds it wont be worth it

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I applaud our Council recycling efforts – every Friday I put out the red box for cardboard and a bag of plastic stuff, all correctly sorted as per requested. The bin lorry comes along and they all chuck the correctly sorted stuff in the back of it together.

We’ve also got the food waste recyling – everyone puts their little biodegradeable bags in the little bins all nice and tidy. The collection truck speeds down the street with a guy running ahead of it snatching all the bags out the little bins so he ends up carrying loads with some invariably tearing and spilling contents so it’s dodge the orange peels and teabags down the street.

nealglover
    Free Member

i think i should do what the Pikeys who took away our old oil tanks said and just fly tip it somewhere it’ll be found – that way the council have to deal with its removal!!!

Sounds like you should have asked them to help (for a few quid.)

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If you are going to go with the option of disposal at a council tip and it needs to be double wrapped then it is worth popping round a few carpet suppliers. I had some roof sheets to get rid of and the cost of buying plastic sheeting to double wrap it didn’t seem worth it. I went to a carpet supplier and they agreed to keep all the plastic that their carpets came in for me. It is nice and big and pretty tough stuff.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If I ever get any grief off the skip rats at the tip, I park the van outside the tip and take the stuff in on foot. Alternatively hire a people carrier.

globalti
    Free Member

Here in Lancs you have to collect, book out and sign for the heavy bags or plastic sheet then you’re not allowed to bring back more than ten bags a month, which you have to sign back in again.

The deep irony is that having pissed you off with all that stupidity they then dump all the asbestos sheet in a landfill and drive a huge tractor with spiky wheels all over it, tearing open the plastic and spreading bits all over the place.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘is it actually illegal to bury asbestos sheets?’ is closed to new replies.