Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is it a wedding or not?
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

If we get married on a Thursday but don’t have a ‘do’ until the Saturday, is it fair for a venue to charge us the inflated wedding price to hire the room rather than the standard fee? For example, a village hall has a price list with a standard Saturday hire fee of £200 for a private party, room only. However, if that party happens to be a wedding party it’s £800.

Am I obliged to tell them its a party of a wedding? If not, the wife ‘the’ frock might give it away…

ads678

It is a wedding party though isn’t it?

Still a silly pricing structure though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s not a wedding party, it’s a 2day anniversary party.

allthegear
    Free Member

Not, it’s not “fair”. Their place, though, so as long as they are abiding by laws etc, they can charge what they like.

You can choose whether to give them the business.

Rachel

matt_outandabout

^ What Rachel said.

ourmaninthenorth

Am I obliged to tell them its a party of a wedding?

If their wedding price includes things that the standard price doesn’t, then you may want to explore. Otherwise, if they;re just taking the proverbial, then it’s just a party.

amedias
    Free Member

Saturday hire fee of £200 for a private party, room only. However, if that party happens to be a wedding party it’s £800

When chatting to them, ask what the extra £600 gets you?

– If they quantify it and it’s stuff you want/need then there’s your answer

– If they quantify it and it’s stuff you don’t need, say “ah I don’t need any of that so can we negotiate?” (we did this, worked for us)

– If they can’t quantify it then I imagine they may start to feel very awkward and be open to negotiating.

D0NK

Jeez that’s some price hike.
    Amedias’ option sounds good, and if they are just taking the piss they should be called out on it. Maybe there’s valid reasons for it but lots of wedding stuff appears to be overpriced just because it’s a wedding and lots of people aceept it will cost a bomb.

johndoh
    Free Member

DOn’t tell them and agree the £200. What are they going to do when (if) they see a dress? Demand another £600 from you because someone is in a fancy frock?

Nico
    Free Member

Am I obliged to tell them its a party of a wedding? If not, the wife ‘the’ frock might give it away…

For a six hundred quid saving maybe she could forego the “frock” for what is, after all, not a wedding.

fasthaggis

Use the £600 to buy her the most beautiful party dress

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Once the W word is mentioned lots of stuff just shoots up, or is off limits. When we got married I called one particular venue we had thought about for the reception. They didn’t say no right away, not until they heard the words “wedding reception”.
    Maybe places expect more damage or hassle or something with weddings?

shermer75
    Free Member

Extra money helps pay for all the fighting and puking

the-muffin-man

Normal party – people get drunk and don’t give a monkeys if a few things don’t go as they should.

Wedding party – all hell breaks loose if the tiniest thing goes wrong and spoils the ‘perfect’ day!

…perhaps the extra £600 is a hassle-factor tax. 😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

This is my business (not your village hall but Wedding Venues in general and available for other purposes) – A wedding hire generally means all day and with knobs on cause thats what most weddings are in need of. You may differ and if you don’t need the extras then don’t pay for them.

A wedding hire for us starts at 2pm and includes all the space we have at your disposal exclusively, if you were only turning up at 6pm and just wanted the main space then I’d charge a reduced fee. If they don’t reduce their price for the sake of your reduced requirement tell ’em to F off politely decline and go somewhere else.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

no one posted this yet then…

jon1973
    Free Member

Maybe places expect more damage or hassle or something with weddings?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is it a wedding or not?’ is closed to new replies.