Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is it a better finish with a brush?
  • bearnecessities

A LOT of painting to do, so roller* is obvious choice, but do you actually get a better finish with a decent size brush all around – basically is it worth the extra pain?

Fairly neutral colours and lots of light coming in.

(apart from celings, sod doing them with a brush!)

*fine roller, new plaster, already had mist coat etc etc.

Ta 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would say a roller is a much better finish for emulsion on walls. Unless you’re a time served old school decorator, plenty of thin coats with a good quality short pile woven sleeve achieves a better finish for the DIYer.

(I work in some pretty high end projects from time to time and nobody uses a brush apart from for cutting in.)

DezB
    Free Member

“Better”? as in better quality or looks better?
    Personal taste surely and depends on the paint (Crown is horrible rollered).

(And what the wise man above said 🙂 )

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Airless sprayer wins.

johnners
    Free Member

I think paint pads give a better finish with emulsion on large areas. Not as easy to use as a roller though.

seadog101

Roller always my choice for the walls and ceiling. Do not skimp on cheap ones though. If the surface is nice smooth plaster, use a good quality short pile one.

mark90
    Free Member

Just decorated a bedroom and tried a short pile TopTex mixed fiber roller sleeve. A nice low texture finish for a roller.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/9/9_INCH_TOPTEX_PAINT_ROLLER_SLEEVE_SHORT_PILE/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bn, I’ve always found Harris short pile woven sleeves to be excellent (but to be fair, I use them for applying oils and lacquers to floors rather than painting…though I have used them in my own house plenty of times).

Oh and just buy everything at 1 3/4″ rather than 1 1/2″ That way anything you get from screwfix will fit.

bearnecessities

Ah, well that already seems pretty conclusive, thanks!

Yes, good quality tools & paint.

It’s just on previous paint jobs, I’ve always noticed the border between where I’ve cut in, and where the roller ends.

Guess I’ll just be more careful this time.

EDIT: It’s Harris short pile rollers I’m using, so that’s reassuring 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I find again, that synthetic brushes help give a better finish for cutting in. Having said that, I’m just looking at the corners in my living room – there are some lines. 🙄

I think doing the cutting in first helps. 🙂

bearnecessities

Aye, think I’ve realised that too actually. Bought some Harris no-loss brushes and they already seem to give a better quality coverage, simply doing the mist-coat.

Plus when you wash them, they actually look worth re-using!

Will be cutting in and rollering bit by bit; I think that will help rather than doing all the cutting in, and then using roller, as I have done before.

Cheers again, all.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What are you painting?

I mean it’s important innit.

If you are painting the wife clearly you’d use something a little more flexible and possibly smaller in bristle than say an outside toilet.
    But from here we can see the aspect you are attempting to cover, until we do I’d say just start masking it up to make sure you keep the creases clear.
    😆

bigh
    Free Member

Huge variables apply here, temperature, humidity, surface porosity etc…………………………….sorry fell asleep there (boring subject matter as its my job hell even the colour will affect the smoothness of finish due to darker colours having more colorant thus thinning the paint.

FyI the best brushes Ive ever used are Wooster Picasso, I use hamilton perfection rollers and the best finish I have ever achieved with a roller was with Little green paint.

Brushes

I think they harvest Ginger people to make them so they must be good

Speshpaul

” I’ve always noticed the border between where I’ve cut in, and where the roller ends.”
    are you cutting in 1st?
    I’ve see people cut in a 6in plus band first and the roller to /it over it. that tends to show the join up.
    Roll in tight first then cut in.

mark90
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack, do the pros have any tips for getting a good finish on woodwork with water based eggshell or satin? Tried brushing (Purdy monarch elite), rolling, rolling and laying off with brush, floetrol. Its not bad but can’t quite get a really good finish.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’ve see people cut in a 6in plus band first and the roller to /it over it. that tends to show the join up.

I flip that on its head. cut in first then roll to tight the wall/ceiling/skirting/door trim while your brush applied ‘cut in’ is still wet.

I’m not a ‘pro’, but I get paid to paint houses… no one likes brush lines that could be hidden under a rolled finish.

my 2p

1-shed
    Free Member

For the woodwork use a foam roller.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Nope, do what is posted above. Cut in one wall at a time to maintain a wet edge.

grantway
    Free Member

Use a Gloss roller and then brush off
    this method is faster than solely brushing, but you would need three
    to gain the same finish as using the brush twice. But still would be faster
    than just brushing

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

On a wall?

Coyote
    Free Member

So, how long do you spend staring at walls?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

mark90
    Free Member

I’ll try foam/gloss roller for the woodwork. Should be starting prep on next bedroom shortly.

As for walls I always cut in first then roll tight up. Cut, roll, cut roll. But my cutting in is just too slow to maintain much of a wet edge with emulsion.

user-removed
    Free Member

maintain a wet edge.

I’m saying nowt. Well, at least not here on the most boring thread to ever grace STW.

cliffyc
    Free Member

……like watching paint dry??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is it a better finish with a brush?’ is closed to new replies.