Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Is Israel's Government against peace?
  • roper
    Free Member

They must know that actions like these at this time will cause more friction within the area. Is that their intention?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8582190.stm

Surely a peaceful agreement if more important than new homes?

wwaswas

"Surely a peaceful agreement if more important than new homes?"

actually, being seen not to back down, ever, for any reason is more important than peace.

The State of Israel was born with and remains in the mindset that they are under siege. Any action they take can thus be justified that they are defending their state against people who would do them wrong.

and the biggest crime of all is that America has until very recently blindly supported Israel. It makes Israel like the littel guy who always picks a fight because they know the big bloke is behind them to back them up.

It saddens and angers me in equal measure really.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

this won't go well

uplink
    Free Member

Is Israel's Government against peace?

of course they are
    Where have you been for the last 60 years?

Dylan08
    Free Member

Free Palestine.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I blame the Hittites.

grumm
    Free Member

The State of Israel was born with and remains in the mindset that they are under siege. Any action they take can thus be justified that they are defending their state against people who would do them wrong.

There's also the fact that there is a very vocal, sizeable and powerful lobby in Israel which truly believes that Jews are the chosen people, and that all of Jerusalem etc is the promised land, and that they have the god given right/duty to take it over and settle it.
    🙄

pjt201
    Free Member

imo, it's quite clear the israeli's are in the wrong here. They accepted the 1949 green line and now are trying to move it. Whether the palestinians choose to accept it or not is a moot point as they weren't party to the 1949 agreement.

pjt201
    Free Member

i also like the israeli condemnation of iran's nuclear programme. 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

The jewish nation has been beaten and bullied for generations (it's like abused children). If things aren't kept under control the hideous cycle continues. Unfortunately big step-daddy America has let the kids charge around in the pub annoying everyone for so long things are going to kick off.

grumm
    Free Member

imo, it's quite clear the israeli's are in the wrong here.

It is but the question is, is anyone going to do anything about it? The US has always been firmly against any kind of sanctions or punishments for Israel – despite them clearly breaking many laws and UN resolutions over the years.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anti-semitism has a long, vile history and the state of Israel's attitude to the people around it is the result of centuries of persecution by cultures such as our own.

The Israelis treat their neighbours like dogs and this isn't right, but it's inevitable. Why?

Because their neighbours want to wipe them out to a man, woman and child – finishing the job from which the Nazi's were prevented.

It's a deep, pus-filled cancerous running sore that started a very long time ago when someone put it about that being Jewish was some sort of a problem and has been building ever since.

If you think that a solution to all this can be found amongst a bunch of glib posts on a bike forum from partial advocates of particular points of view, who see only what they think justifies their political stance "du jour" – you are going to be dissappointed.

pjt201
    Free Member

If you think that a solution to all this can be found amongst a bunch of glib posts on a bike forum from partial advocates of particular points of view, who see only what they think justifies their political stance "du jour" – you are going to be dissappointed.

Did the OP suggest that he was going to be able to find a solution here, or did he just start a discussion about the political issues in the area?

roper
    Free Member

I wanted to know what people on here think about the situation.
    If you think posts on here are pointless why are you reading and posting?

Leku
    Free Member

Their neighbours want to wipe them out to a man, woman and child – finishing the job from which the Nazi's were prevented.

Their neighbours mostly want to get on with their lives – work, shop, go to school, farm etc. 99% of any population just want to get on with their lifes (without being shot at or bombed).

My 'du jour' stance started 25 years ago.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Their neighbours mostly want to get on with their lives –

Hamas. Hezbollah. Iran. Syria. Saudi Arabia (to whom, of course, we sell arms).

I wanted to know what people on here think about the situation.
    If you think posts on here are pointless why are you reading and posting?

Then you do not fall into the category that I mentioned. But if you do, then I repeat my assertion.

What you WILL find, I suspect, is the same series of futile objections and canards from all sides that are repeated ad neauseum on this forum and others whenever this subject comes up.

I suppose at the least, it is a fine example of the futility of trying to resolve the situation by playing the blame game from whatever quarter you feel harbours your particular sympathies.

Nothing will be resolved until 1: the Israelis feel they are not under threat and 2: their neighbours honestly want to come to an accommodation so everybody can move forward.

failedengineer

What Mr whoppit said.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and religion is still the elephant in the room.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nothing will be resolved until 1: the Israelis feel they are not under threat and 2: their neighbours honestly want to come to an accommodation so everybody can move forward

An interesting example of not "playing the blame game" here from the ever dispassionnate MrWoppit. 😉

westkipper
    Free Member

Leku, while I'd dispute your first sentence, the issue that brought the OPs question is whether its right for Israel to build on East Jerusalem and other Palestinian lands. How exactly does that help peace? or is it simply an attempt at inflaming tha situation?.
    Given Netanyahus previous stance, I know which one I believe.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

Nothing will be resolved until 1: the Israelis feel they are not under threat and 2: their neighbours honestly want to come to an accommodation so everybody can move forward

An interesting example of not "playing the blame game" here from the ever dispassionnate MrWoppit.

If you like.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

west kipper – Member

Leku, while I'd dispute your first sentence, the issue that brought the OPs question is whether its right for Israel to buid on East Jerusalem and other Palestinian lands. How exactly does that help peace? or is it simply an attempt at inflaming tha situation?.
    Given Netanyahus previous stance, I know which one I believe.

… and so turns the wheel…

westkipper
    Free Member

Aye, and it'll keep turning, Mr Woppit, until some people start to understand the question.

grumm
    Free Member

So Mr Woppit – at what point do you think Israel will no longer feel under threat (despite being the only nuclear power in the region, backed by the US etc etc)?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

grum – Member

So Mr Woppit – at what point do you think Israel will no longer feel under threat (despite being the only nuclear power in the region, backed by the US etc etc)?

When it's neighbours stop calling for it's extermination.

Sorry, I thought I had made that obvious?

…and religion is still the elephant in the room.

grumm
    Free Member

When it's neighbours stop calling for it's extermination.

Maybe they would if Israel obeyed international law, stopped the inhumane treatment of the Palestinians, stopped annexing territory, etc etc?

…and religion is still the elephant in the room.

Is that the Jewish religion or the Muslim religion?

westkipper
    Free Member

So the rhetoric from several, but not all, of its neighbours governments gives Israel the right to displace and persecute the lands original inhabitants.
    I cant see how that'll settle the situation down, nor make things any safer for ordinary Israelis, for that matter.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

So why DID Israel scupper the latest attempt at peace talks I wonder? Could it be they have no real interest in peace?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I didn't mention "rights". When threatened, any human individually or grouped, tend to react either by avoiding the situation or if that is not possible, resort to the strongest possible reaction.

That is what Israel is doing. If the threat were to dissappear, so would the Israeli's aggression.

Whilst I think about it – if all the Palestinian population want to do is simply get on with their life, then surely some responsibility for their situation should be recognised as belonging to Hamas, who perpetuate the situation, unlike their rivals in Fatah, who appear to be more interested in discussion.

A visit to Hamas' website seems to suggest that they are more interested in fighting an unwinnable battle for the glory of martyring those over whom they have responsibility? Again – I'm not suggesting this makes Israel's actions excusable, just highlighting the situation.

Is that the Jewish religion or the Muslim religion?

Both in particular, and all, in general.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Anti-semitism

Please note everyone involved in this conflict are Semites it does not mean Jewish it is the children if Shem of whom the majority are Arabs
    I think if my neighbour created a house next to mine – and I was opposed to this and the neighbour built it then moved the fences to take some of my garden and then beat the sh1t out of me when I complained and then took some more of my garden and then built some more houses there I would probably not have warm feelings towards them in my heart.
    Israel ignores International Law and we should do something about it. Despite the millions of atrocities that befell the Jewish people this is no reason to turn a blind eye as they engage in their own personal form of persecution of a people and build on illegally occupied land in contravention of International Law.
    Whoppit is correct that its neighbours are less than happy with the presence of the Israel state but their actions mean that anyone would be less than happy with the actions of this state. If it was Iran or Iraq doing this …nuclear programme, invading countries, ignoring International Law the world and the USA in particular would be acting totally different.
    The only real solution to this is for the changing of hearts and minds in the region to enable the peoples to live side by side in peace and harmony. There is no way that Israeli policies of land occupation , partition, economic embargos , bombings, and assinations will bring this situation to bear.
    Shameful nation that has the right to exist but does not have the right to act how it does.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: Thinking about it, I recall a report that suggested that Israeli forces in the area think of Palestinians as being little more than "sub-human" and therefore have no problem treating them as such.

A fine example of the '60's homily – "What goes around, comes around"…

westkipper
    Free Member

The SPECIFIC question that was asked, mr woppit, was whether the increased building on Palestinian lands, against international law, is going to bring peace.
    Even an apologist like yourself, can surely see that it wont.
    Or do the Palestinians, many of whom are neither enthusiastic supporters of the corrupt Fatah, nor the extremist Hamas, not matter?.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard's analysis of the phrase "anti-semitism" is technically correct. I think, however, that we all recognise that the phrase is used to mean "anti-Jewish" in general usage?

It's probably a bit flippant, but I'm suddenly reminded of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpVovlKq2k

MrWoppit
    Free Member

west kipper – Member

The SPECIFIC question that was asked, mr woppit, was whether the increased building on Palestinian lands, against international law, is going to bring peace.
    Even an apologist like yourself, can surely see that it wont.
    Or do the Palestinians, many of whom are neither enthusiastic supporters of the corrupt Fatah, nor the extremist Hamas, not matter?.

I understand the specific question, I wanted however, to address the wider question, if that's OK with you.

I think you'll find if you read my posts that I am not offering any apologies, merely trying to illustrate reasons why.

Again, if actually read what I've written, you'll see that I have addressed your issue of the Palestinian's aspirations as against their leaders'.

So now we move into the typical STW forum "Having to repeat oneself all over again because the critic doesn't seem to have actually read what was posted previousy" territory. Which is tedious.

As to what will bring peace – an agreement to cease hostilities on both sides, of course. Followed by free passage of people and goods in the region. But you and I know that is not going to happen.

In my opinion, the best we can hope for is that things remain as they are. However, the situation in Iran does not hold out much hope for this as even a medium-term solution. It's not a question of if the Israelis are going to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities, only "when".

gonefishin
    Free Member

What exactly did the Palestinians do to deserve their current treatment?

To me is sounds more like "…those to whom evil is done, do evil in return."

Nick

That is what Israel is doing. If the threat were to dissappear, so would the Israeli's aggression.

Is it? I think they must have some other motives that I can't quite grasp. By constantly expanding they are increasingly antagonising their neighbours, by continuing in this way they are just making it ever harder to actually reach an agreement because these agreements are going to have to based on giving back most of not all the land seized since 1949.

Been meaning to read Jeremy Bowen's book on this, might go get it a lunchtime.

grumm
    Free Member

If the threat were to dissappear, so would the Israeli's aggression.

Or vice versa.

Think you've missed the point of that homily somewhat.

So now we move into the typical STW forum "Having to repeat oneself all over again because the critic doesn't seem to have actually read what was posted previousy" territory. Which is tedious.

Please feel free not to bother posting any more then. Perhaps you should go to an audiophile forum where you can talk about the differences you have convinced yourself you can hear between two ludicrously expensive cables without fear of mockery.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think that the centuries-old vilification and maltreatment of Jewish people has resulted in their self-justifide maltreatment of the Palestinians. As I said, their armed forces now regard Palestinians in the same way that their forbears were regarded by most of the rest of OUR forbears.

"What goes around, comes around" seems perfectly apposite to me.

westkipper
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, by originally failing to understand the precise meaning of the phrase'anti-semitic' you kinda give away your lack of knowledge in this issue.
    I had you pegged as one of these "Israel has the right to do as it pleases-types" but I think you're just trying to argue for the sake of it…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What exactly did the Palestinians do to deserve their current treatment?

Nothing.

Please feel free not to bother posting any more then. Perhaps you should go to an audiophile forum where you can talk about the differences you have convinced yourself you can hear between two ludicrously expensive cables without fear of mockery.

I don't recall needing your permission for anything, though you seem to think you have that power… I've no desire to return to a long-dead and pointless discussion that you mention, thankyou. I'll stick with this one. As I said, it seems generic that many posters misread or don't read previously put arguments in these complicated and long threads so one has to repeat and defend points already made. Perhaps the phrase "I refer the you to my previous post on this subject" might force a little more focus.

However, I am interested in the subject being discussed, rather than what any self-appointed censor such as yourself might wish to blowhard about…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Is Israel's Government against peace?’ is closed to new replies.