Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Is Islamic State just a product of the Miltary industrial complex?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Now, I remember when all this Syrian lunacy started that there was a clamour to start arming and training the Free Syrian Army, now that happened imo. And then it went all quiet about the arming and training, and all of a sudden IS appear from no where, heavily armed, and trained, and start a mad dash across Syria and Iraq.

You can’t tell me that there isn’t a connection there. I’d suspect, desertion en masse from the FSA.

Whether that was intentional or not is up for debate, but I reckon that’s exactly how it happened. I’ve always thought that and it perplexes me that the arming of the FSA always went under the radar in our media after the clamour.

But bringing the MIC into it, strikes me as awfy convenient there’s alot of tax dollars going into the above, add to that the bombing runs, the arming of the Kurds etc. Well…cynical, me, never! 😆 There’s a shitload of arms manufacturers creaming it in anyhow…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah, sure, why not.

legend
    Free Member

There’s a shitload of arms manufacturers creaming it in anyhow…

Sweet, where’s that then?

TooTall
    Free Member

all of a sudden IS appear from no where

Really?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and all of a sudden IS appear from no where

No they didn’t.

But bringing the MIC into it, strikes me as awfy convenient there’s alot of tax dollars going into the above, add to that the bombing runs, the arming of the Kurds etc. Well…cynical, me, never! There’s a shitload of arms manufacturers creaming it in anyhow…

The situation in the Middle East is a complete Western foreign policy **** up, not some carefully thought out strategy going to plan.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    and all of a sudden IS appear from no where
    No they didn’t.

Assume, apear from no where ment in relation to being heavily armed and trained. Not the actual origins of IS, which I know go back a bit further.

Scapegoat

Read The Rise of Islamic State by Patrick Cockburn.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

The situation in the Middle East is a complete Western foreign policy **** up, not some carefully thought out strategy going to plan.

Well, that’s why I say that bit is up for debate, may not be planned, but you can’t say that Western foriegn policy **** ups aren’t exactly good for business if you’re in the arms trade.

I wouldn’t say there’s top level government meetings where they think right how can we **** shit up so that loads of people kill each other. But I can very much imagine, there’s some unsavoury characters actively encouraging silly foreign policy.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Are you referring to the “used machete and tired AK47 dealers?”

seosamh77
    Free Member

Scapegoat – Member
    Read The Rise of Islamic State by Patrick Cockburn.

May well do. I hope there’s a chapter on the hijacking of the FSAs arms and training though! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

gears_suck – Member

Are you referring to the “used machete and Tired AK47 dealers?”

No, the more sophisticated type.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Ah yes. The second hand tank, converted 1989 toyota pick up, and faulty rocket launcher, dealers.
    Not forgetting. “How to be a Coward for Cowards” handbook and the ever popular Exploding Vest Emporium. I believe they are taking Paypal now.

Scapegoat

May well do. I hope there’s a chapter on the hijacking of the FSAs arms and training though!

It may be a bit more complicated than that, but the interests of the arms trade, and the route that a lot of military hardware takes from source to IS propaganda videos and parades may tickle your fancy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

gears_suck – Member

Ah yes. The second hand tank, converted 1989 toyota pick up, and faulty rocket launcher, dealers.
    Not forgetting. “How to be a Coward for Cowards” handbook and the ever popular Exploding Vest Emporium. I believe they are taking Paypal now.
    Aye, IS hold the territory of 10 million people with a couple of flick knives. you must be right…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Scapegoat – Member
    May well do. I hope there’s a chapter on the hijacking of the FSAs arms and training though!

It may be a bit more complicated than that, but the interests of the arms trade, and the route that a lot of military hardware takes from source to IS propaganda videos and parades may tickle your fancy.

Aye I’m well aware it’ll be much more complicated that my OP, that’s really just a simplistic starting point for discussion of a general concept.

I probably will take a look at that book. ta.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Oh yeah. I forgot about the flick knives. Good call.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Guessing the ultimate point I’m trying to make here is that the “solution” to IS won’t be found in Syria or Iraq.

I doubt it’ll even be found in America tbh, before people accuse me of that. I believe their government is as manipulated as any.

gears_suck
    Free Member

There is NO solution. Just that. You cant solve an ideology.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Which ideology?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    Guessing the ultimate point I’m trying to make here is that the “solution” to IS won’t be found in Syria or Iraq.

I thought the point you were trying to make was it was all the fault of the arms industry and that people had created IS by sending weapons to Syria.

In some ways the middle east could do with just sorting itself out (very cold assessment) but the impact on ordinary people would be terrible and the bit the west is really worried about is what would win.

Aye, IS hold the territory of 10 million people with a couple of flick knives. you must be right…

Perhaps holding territory with fear and coming together to be a large group who impose their will with fear and terror. Kill half a village and the other half will fall in line.

Afghanistan is a good example of what you can do with very limited resources (both wars)

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

As far as books on the arms industry and its vested interests go I thought The Shadow World was pretty good. Quite a few case studies.

wicki
    Free Member

IS is a by product of failed US intervention in the middle east, It’s just like the South east Asia in the 60/70’s the yanks left that in a huge mess after fighting an ideology.

piemonster

IS is a product of history.

All of it.

nickc

the yanks left that in a huge mess after fighting an ideology.

Application of huge amounts of violence onto countries that don’t comply with their wishes is the US ideology, it’s hardly a massive surprise that the groups that arise to counter that are themselves expert in the use of violence.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m left wondering which sections of the Military industrial complex are making a fortune out of Ww2 era surplus STG44

There are news reports that over 5000 were seized in Syria

Then we have a look at some of the videos of weapons captured by various forces out there

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr0b-WIpcvo[/video]

Boxes and boxes of dusty mid Cold War era kit – most of which could likely be traced back to Russian kit supplied in and around the Yom Kippur war.

RPG’s, AK74’s, SA7 Grail – the whole region has been swimming in this kit for decades, it’s hardly keeping the modern industrial complex going!

2tyred

RPG’s, AK74’s, SA7 Grail – the whole region has been swimming in this kit for decades, it’s hardly keeping the modern industrial complex going!

But the presence of all that crappy old kit in the region is probably quite persuasive when the military-industrial-complex invites representatives from “more friendly” regimes in the area to come and look at shiny new kit. Who then use that shiny kit in their somewhat more stealthy oppression of ethnic and religious groups who then want to get their hands on more crappy old kit in response.

So in answer to the original question, a bit, yeah.

But its also – as piemonster points out – a product of history, and not necessarily ancient history. On Sunday, the Observer had this story, about declassified cables showing the role played by western governments (including our own) in the massacre of 8,000 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica, 20 years ago. Eight thousand people from a single religious/ethnic grouping murdered, in the space of a few days, in Europe, in 1995.

I can’t help feeling there’s a bit more to it than a twisted ideological fundamentalism, oil reserves and decades of failed US foreign policy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

decades of failed US foreign policy

You think that UK foreign policy over the decades has been any better – from the attack of Egypt over Suez to the overthrow of democracy and installation of a dictator in Iran ?

2tyred

Of course not, but the US are and have, since the end of Soviet involvement, been the prime movers in the region.

hatter

Is Islamic State a product JUST of the military industrial complex.

No.

It’s product of a long-term mixing of:

The 1916 Sykes-Picot agreement
    20th century oil-related geopolitics
    The global will to give Jews a safe homeland post-WW2.
    The rise of political Islamism based on the writings of Sayyid Qutb

You could file ‘military industrial complex’ under ‘oil-related geopolitics.’

There’s are other factors but these are the four long term root causes.

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Hmm, I’m left wondering which sections of the Military industrial complex are making a fortune out of Ww2 era surplus STG44

They’re making a bit more out of the stuff being used to fight it- as of last November the US campaign alone was being costed at about $320m a month.

Always wonder what would happen if instead of shooting a tomahawk at someone you fired briefcases with a million dollars in them at someone else.

gonzy
    Free Member

they are a product of the west’s involvement in the region
    create and train an army to overthrow a dictator…this way they do the dirty work.
    when it fails the west can distance itself as it never got directly involved like it did in Iraq/Afghanistan.
    this failed army of rebels then evolves itself into IS and realises that there is a “wounded lion” (Iraq) there for the taking as thats another place the west has cocked up in.

if you read some of the local regional reports or articles from those who are closer to it, there’s a different way of looking at it.
    some of this may be coincidental or just conspiracy…but there is a wide spread belief that Al-Baghdadi and a few other senior members are in fact non-arabs and have strong connections to Mossad.
    this feeds into the theory that ISIS stands for Israeli Secret Intelligence Service.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    ninfan – Member

They’re making a bit more out of the stuff being used to fight it- as of last November the US campaign alone was being costed at about $320m a month.

yip add in the arming of the kurds, and selling various new shiny weaponary to the various surrounding states etc.

I’m not sayings that ISIS are funded by the US, i’m say that their big break was the arming of the FSA and they seized upon that to kick them off. They are obviously self sufficient now that they can punt cheap oil into turkey, the training was probably the most important part(weaponary is dispossible to a degree i would imagine, so there will be varying on going sources.)

Point is we can waffle on about IS all we like but they are a very small cog(the bad guy cog) in a big **** off business. It’s much larger than a small part of the middle east.

Until we recognise who the real terrorists are(the arms manufacturers, sellers and ditributors etc) and figure out a way to deal with them, they will continue dubious practices that see’s parts of the world destoyed in the name of profit.

And as I say it’s not just americans or british, it’s good business if you can get it. It’s endemic and real. It’s the worst form of terrorism the world faces today and has faced for a long time.

One example of non british/america interests.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/turkey-boosting-weapons-exports-focus-africa-heres-who-benefits-1649300

There are plenty of people feeding off conflict, the ukraine is another nice wee side line.

just5minutes
    Free Member

the problems we’re seeing are almost entirely down to three root causes:

1. An expansionist Iranian state that is fighting and funding proxy wars in other countries.

2. Salafist / wahhabi ideology has now reached a point of mass acceptance after 3 decades of funding of propaganda, imams and other materials by the Saudi state. It’s coincidence that concerns were raised in the UK 10 years ago about young people receiving religious instruction with materials that stated that killing gays / jews / kuffir is acceptable and the many tens of thousands of british citizens who not only believe this but are increasingly willing to act on it.

3. An ongoing failure to connect the dots and see the real picture which is that any further delay in tackling the ideology head on will simply allow matters to deteriorate even more quickly.

seosamh77
    Free Member

just5minutes – Member

1. An expansionist Iranian state

How is the iranian state expansionist? Seems to me like their actions are more about fending the wolves from the door than expansionism..

points 2 and 3 are just more religious waffle tbh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

An expansionist Iranian state that is fighting and funding proxy wars in other countries.

Perhaps you are unaware that Iran is totally opposed to ISIS and that Iran has not expanded at all since its borders were last drawn up by the British.

I think you need reevaluate the situation perhaps apply a little blame for the problem with ISIS to a country 6,000 miles away which likes to fight and fund proxy wars in other countries.

gonzy
    Free Member

this is worth watching
    [video]https://youtu.be/U9d34kRBHJk[/video]

noltae
    Free Member

Ordo Ab Chao

seosamh77
    Free Member

Very good gonzy, ta.

D0NK

Very good gonzy, ta.

agreed

vorlich
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned Bitter Lake yet? Maybe not a definitive background on ISIS, but well worth watching.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Is Islamic State just a product of the Miltary industrial complex?’ is closed to new replies.