Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Is Innerleithen really better than Glentress?
  • Townfox
    Free Member

Right then, lets get this one sorted out…

I’ve heard alot of people on here say that they think Innerleithen is better than Glentress, so i need to know why?

Over to you..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

depends on your priorities

druidh
    Free Member

Different.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ride both and work it out for yourself.

They are very different.

GEDA
    Free Member

Free carpark, less people and better downhills?

harley
    Free Member

Because some people have different opinions…

And some people think that it’s impossible to have fun at Glentress because your a “sheep” if you do.

Both are great fun – switch it up one weekend to the next and get the best of both.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez me agreeing with you 2 old ****wits?

Where’s the service revolver?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Greater chance of seeing a riding god at Innerz

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think what would be best is a route that combined the second half of inners climb, the first inners descent, and then Glentress blue and red with maybe Britney Spears and that other descent that isn’t Deliverance!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

No its crap and really busy, best stay at glentress

Townfox
    Free Member

Just heard alot of folks say that the red xc at Inners is loads better than the red xc at GT?

I know Inners is more DH specific and GT is a bit more all round with a bit of everything but like you say Harley if you mention that you ride at GT people think your some kind of MTB sheep who has no knowledge of riding…??

j_me
    Free Member

There’s no cake stall at inners

thv3
    Free Member

GT during the week and Inners anytime 😀

GT is like Tescos car park on a weekend, especially if the weathers good.

Funnily enough, the black is normally still quite, but Red/blue can be a bit of a motorway.

Both very different though, can prefer either one based the particular circumstances.

Thread wise, this is a bit of a hartail versus Full suss/Best tyre thread……….

simonralli2
    Free Member

While the thread is a tad on the silly side, you get sucked into them though don’t you, like that natural vs trail centre thread that you promise yourself not to get caught up in then you post and then you have to keep going back because someone on that there internet is WRONG!!

j_me
    Free Member

Do them both. Inners red in the morning, get some lunch at the hub then GT in the afternoon.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Although Innerleithen is a trail centre it has the feel of not being a trail centre and there are lots of options to jump off the trail centre trail and do some natural riding. GT is more a fun park type place unless you get to know it really really well.

craig1975
    Free Member

I like both… do inners first then GT..

partyboy
    Free Member

There’s no cake stall at inners

You might get mud on your Audi tyres too 🙄

j_me
    Free Member

You might get mud on your Audi tyres too

Point well made. What mud tyres would you recommend for an Audi ?

imnotverygood

I have to say that the climb at Innerleithen is a bit of a slog…. then I get to the descent & remember why it’s worth it. There are definitely bits of the GT red descent which are less good (Lombard St?) whereas I think most of the Innerleithen descent is great. Mind you I’m not saying one is better than the other overall.

robgarrioch

if you mention that you ride at GT people think you’re some kind of MTB sheep who has no knowledge of riding

Mint sauce?

Just the usual elitism from those who consider themselves a cut-above. GT is hugely popular hence a lot of beginners go, giving the longer-served & narrow-minded something else to criticise. I’d rate them fairly equal, though wish someone would show us some the ‘off-piste’ riding that often gets alluded to…

coogan
    Free Member

If you mean red v red then I much prefer Innerleithen. Caddon Bank is so much more fun that Spooky Wood IMO. But overall I’m not a huge fan of GT red. I much prefer mixing up the black and the ‘secret’ stuff (that most people know about), Broon Troot at GT is one of my fav bits of trail in Scotland.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

robgarrioch – i will be happy to show you some off-piste stuff at GT. We can arrange it the next time we are both on a TBC ride.

coogan
    Free Member

though wish someone would show us some the ‘off-piste’ riding that often gets alluded to…

Not a problem.

grumm
    Free Member

Innerleithen is more niche and therefore must be better according to STW.

daveb
    Free Member

Depends what you are after – best thing is to try them out ourself and see. Personally I prefer Innerleithen but GT can be great fun, especially if you mix up the trails a bit and do some of the “off piste” stuff.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden at Innerleithen once when I did the red. Tried to go there on 2 other occaisions but the CP was full both times because of some events so I just went to GT instead. Want to go back to Inners soon though and get to know it better. I think GT is great fun and I enjoy it more each time I go there but I found it quite different to Innerleithen.

user-removed
    Free Member

GEDA – Member
    Free carpark, less people and better downhills?

Eh? Wasn’t free last time I was there… (was about a year ago).

I far prefer GT but I don’t do downhill. Loved Caddon Bank though – got a tingle up my spine just looking up at it from the carpark! Agree about the long relentless climb being a bit dull and a slog, apart from the feeling of exposure when you get to the giant bowl and big step-up at the far end. Took me a few attempts.

jedi

caddon back beats spooky wood hands down!!!!

hels
    Free Member

Carpark not free at Inners.

They are different, although I have never really understood the difference between DH tracks and XC tracks they are all tracks, although I guess DH ones don’t usually go uphill !

samuri
    Free Member

I’d do both, they’re different. If I had a gun to my head to state a preference it’d be GT black because it’s a bit more diverse with plenty of woodsy stuff but I do like the fast bermy stuff and the last downhill at inners.

ahwiles
    Free Member

not really a fan of caddon bank myself; i’m not fast enough to clear any of the table-tops, so i get to the bottom just feeling a bit sh*t about myself.

the new-ish jump/berm section at the back of Mynch moor is ace, and could use even more jumps imho…

anyway, no, it’s not better. it’s different. and that’s good.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Some “secret” bits at Glen T have gone due to logging.

Do not know trail names, but just off the black route before what was Ewok village, is now a mess of tangled branches with no sign of what was the trail, same is true of the next section across the fire road. Rubbish

binners

The whole argument is academic anyway. They’re 5 miles away from each other. Stay at the Glentress Hotel, ride one Saturday, one Sunday.
    Then you can come back on here, and as is traditional, gob off like you’re now a world authority on the matter 🙂

You could also go out to the really good curry house in Peebles on Saturday night. WARNING: DO NOT START TO SAMPLE THE MASSIVE SELECTION OF SINGLE MALTS BEHIND MOST OF THE BARS

Inners is my personal favourite.

hels
    Free Member

Binners – that is so close to the truth but not quite there:

“the curry house in Peebles that is only any good on a saturday night” there you go fixed it..

I often wonder why there aren’t better boozers in Peebles, there are tons of bikers and its tres middle classee. Why are all the pubs full of neds ? I can understand in Innerleithen and Walkerburn as that is the demographic, do they all get taxis up from Gala to go the the C*unty Inn ?

Is there some secret pinot noir drinking Guardian reading members club I’m not invited to ?

Diane
    Free Member

Yes there is but you will never find us as we are masquerading as neds 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Is Innerleithen really better than Glentress?’ is closed to new replies.