Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is Icloud/Apple being hacked?
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Had a variety of weird messages this evening about somebody in Hartlipool using my Apple ID. Confirmation messages are coming from North Wales. Apple website asking for my card details for security purposes . . . .

At which point I turned everything off.

And back on.

Anybody else?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nothing here. Been on an imac all evening and on and off an iphone too, both have icloud services enabled. Just logged into the apple site and that seems fine for me too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chance you just picked something up or your Id and email is part of a harvested list etc. Make sure you have good passwords and check your recovery details (mobile and alternative emails) log in direct not from any links.

jam-bo
    Three_Fish
    Free Member

In what form do these messages appear? Pop-up; email; iMessage?

Apple website asking for my card details for security purposes . . .

Definitely not Apple. Could you cut and paste the URL it gives you?

prettygreenparrot

sounds more like phishing than hacking. Like @mikewsmith says. Hoping you moved to 2-factor authentication a while ago.

Apple

asking for my card details for security purposes

sounds very phishy. It doesn’t really make sense either. If you go to https://www.icloud.com you can check your Apple ID properly and securely. Well, once you’ve scanned your device for malware, trojans, viruses, key loggers, etc as you make it sound like you click on hyperlinks without first checking them out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Same too, Middelsborough attenoted login. I get a notication on my phone and can deny access. Happened a few months ago too. IMO its.not a hacknas such but someone trying to guess/login to my account using the account email address

Sandwich

If you have 2 factor authentication enabled and your ISP is PlusNet then the warning message on your trusted device will normally suggest a login from the Middlesborough area. That’s where some of their servers are.

zilog6128

As above, not a general Apple problem probably just someone trying to access your specific account. As PGP says, make sure you use the 2-factor authentication, that way no-one can access your account even if they do know/guess your password.

Anyone who hasn’t set up 2FA should do it now!!

asking for my card details for security purposes

there are circumstances when you’ll be asked for this when making a purchase from iTunes (e.g. as a Family Member on a sharing plan) but never as a general account security check

bodgy
    Free Member

Yup, thanks folks, excellent advice. I’ve had a little security refresh, and changed a whole bunch of key passwords etc. I think it was a pop-up phishing thing that imitated the iCloud verification process.

footflaps

Every so often my ISP (Virgin) gives me a Manchester registered IP address, so I get spurious iCloud warnings about a login from there. IP address is actually our one in Cambridge….

Cougar

Never, ever go to “Apple” or anyone else’s site by clicking a link in an an unsolicited email. If you have to go to apple.com or wherever, type it manually into the browser.

Cougar

Every so often my ISP (Virgin) gives me a Manchester registered IP address, so I get spurious iCloud warnings about a login from there. IP address is actually our one in Cambridge….

Yeah. Geolocation by IP is unreliable.

CountZero

When I’ve made changes on my various Apple devices, which all have two-factor ID turned on, the notification has always said that the access attempt is being made from Middlesbrough, regardless of which device it is.
    I have queried it with Apple, and it’s something to do with a random location services issue.
    My IP is BT, so it could be server location.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is Icloud/Apple being hacked?’ is closed to new replies.