Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is Hope the go to headset?
  • sandwicheater

Morning all.

Headset is dead. Need something sharpish.

Have always hankered after a Hope headset but, are there better headsets for the money? Frames/bikes I’ve purchased have always had them fitted and never had one fail on me so know next to nothing on the subject.

What can you suggest?

Will need to be tapered with zero stack. Headset-Upper 1-1/8″ Zero Stack (ZS44/28.6) Headset-Lower For Tapered: 56mm Zero Stack (ZS56/40)

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d say Yes.
    I’ve had various issues with FSA/On-one/SS from fitting to finding spares.
    Hope just seem to work. They are a good price with great support and all spares always available. I’d also consider Cane Creek. Never had issues with them either but less bling and spares not always available.

deviant
    Free Member

Nukeproof on both my bikes, no problems so far, appear well made and the split crown race is a doddle to fit, it just pushes on!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the Nukeproof ones on CRC are solid and cheaper, and you can replace the bearings.

_tom_
    Free Member

Surprisingly no issues with my Superstar one yet and it comes in loads of colours.

Ringo
    Free Member

Chris king is far superior

Matt24k
    Free Member

Have always hankered after a Hope headset but

There are no buts, just get one if you’ve always wanted one. They are good quality with good spares availability and you’ll will be supporting British industry. I’m not sure how important the last bit is, in the grand scheme of things, but every little bit helps.

matther01
    Free Member

IMO yes…unless you can afford a King

ahwiles
    Free Member

cane creek for me.

hatter

Depends on what your ‘Go-to’ budget is.

$$$ – Chris King
    $$ – Hope
    $ – Whatever Cane Creek’s on offer ATM

cookeaa

I found when I needed a “Mix ‘n’ Match” headset for a tapered Road frame/fork recently that Gusset do a good range for much less than Hope.

Essentially it’s a few variants of “Standard” bearings in “Standard” adapter cups, Hope have done a good job of setting out the information to let you understand the sizing but other’s do perfectly good equivalents for 1/2 the price…

In fact I think might have a spare cheapo generic ZS56/40 lower in my spares box that you can have for postage if you want OP (Turned out I needed a ZS55/40) and the Cane creek headset finder site lied to me (I should have actually measured it)…

sandwicheater

Cheers all and especially cookeaa, you’re a gent.

Have just bitten the bullet and asked the LBS to get me a Hope one in. I do value the ‘made in Britain’ aspect. Is a tad more than I wanted to spend but I’m sure it will make me smile when I look down and see the Hope symbol.

When I first got into MTB the guys I looked upto all seemed to have Hope kit and ever since have always had a soft spot for them.

cp

I’ve had a couple of superstar tapered ones – they are great!

wrecker
    Free Member

Hope and cane creek are good, but FSA is great value.

richmtb

Just don’t make the mistake of buying a Crank Bros one

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Never had a problem with either the current Superstar on my Five, anything from FSA or a Chris King.

My old Hope headset never felt right and required almost constant messing with. Same for my Nukeproof. Both utter rubbish.

Northwind

I’ve got a Hope in one bike, and a Cane Creek that cost me £16 in another, they’re essentially the same- even fully interchangable parts. Possibly the bearings are different quality but I can’t tell any difference (and certainly not £45 worth of difference!)

But, Hope are very good for covering all the standards and giving choice, when I wanted a 1.5 stepdown I think they were the only company offering both zero stack and +10, which was ace.

If I need a normal headset, it’s Cane Creek though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is Hope the go to headset?’ is closed to new replies.