Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is having no wing mirror glass an MOT fail?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

On passenger side

d45yth
    Free Member

What do you think? Your mirrors are part of being able to drive a car safely according to the law.

alanl
    Free Member

If it was made after a date in the 70’s (1977?), then yes, it needs 2 working mirrors.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would expect so.

But possibly only MOT “legal” to have one on the drivers side anyway.

So of its the other side, take it off completely 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes.

Unless you remove the wing mirror in question – the old if its there it has to work thing

You need 2 mirrors 1 has to be the drivers wing mirror the other can be the passengers wing mirror or te rear view

geoffj

What do you think? Your mirrors are part of being able to drive a car safely according to the law.

Ooooh get her! My first car (Vauxhall Nova) didn’t come with a nearside wing mirror, so I understand the OP’s potential confusion.

I work on the basis that if it is on the car it has to be working, but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.

nealglover
    Free Member

Which Law would that be then ?

2 rear view mirrors minimum.

Either drivers side wing mirror and central rear view mirror.
    Or
    Wing mirrors on both sides.

Or was it the law of pure guesswork ?

alanl
    Free Member

Having googled this, I am wrong, as the vehicle only needs one mirror according to this site:
    http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuidetoTheMOT/WhatIsTested.aspx

However, any that are fitted must not be damaged.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Cheers all – as I thought – sod’s law the day before my test is booked a van should smash my glass!

br
    Free Member

Get the test done, fail, replace glass, get re-test for free.

andydicko
    Free Member

You need two mirrors, so if you’ve a rear view and a wing mirror then alls ok.

grantway
    Free Member

Hope so, so put one in please 😉

Cougar

You need two mirrors, so if you’ve a rear view and a wing mirror then alls ok.

I don’t think that’s true. The requirement is for one mirror, two in a goods vehicle.

any that are fitted must not be damaged.

So long as you’re meeting the requirements – one working mirror – the others shouldn’t have to be tested at all. I think.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

My first car (Vauxhall Nova) didn’t come with a nearside wing mirror,

Novas never came with any wing mirrors as standard, ever.

I think wing mirrors were superseded by door mirrors in the early 1970s.

avdave2

Take the car in take a quick snap of the tester on your phone and tape it in place of the glass, they’ll be none the wiser.

project
    Free Member

if its a german car, it doesnt need mirrors as drivers of such cars have telepathetic ability never to need them.

or if youre a woman , theyre just there to apply makeup with.. 😯

watsontony
    Free Member

So long as you’re meeting the requirements – one working mirror – the others shouldn’t have to be tested at all. I think.

i am pretty sure if it is there it has to work. like on motorbikes. if it has mirrors and indicators thay have to work.

geoffj

or if youre a woman , theyre just there to apply makeup with..

Marty McFly has just been on the blower asking if you’ve done with the Delorean

mudshark
    Free Member

My old car had a passenger side wing mirror with shattered glass in it for years, never failed it’s MOT.

CountZero

Novas never came with any wing mirrors as standard, ever.

I think wing mirrors were superseded by door mirrors in the early 1970s.
    Novas had door mirrors, one each side, and they date from ’82/3.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol just spend a fiver on the stick on one, unless you think seeing what is happening on your left is overrated

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is having no wing mirror glass an MOT fail?’ is closed to new replies.