Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is Haldon forest worth a visit?
  • FieldMarshall

Looking for somewhere different to ride over the xmas break, so was thinking of checking out Haldon.

How much riding is there (in terms of time/distance)?

Is it worth the journey? (Hour each way)

Cheers

xc-steve
    Free Member

Not really, no flow to the trails there at all I leave every time frustrated and annoyed at its wasted potential! It doesn't know if it wants to be a XC centre or a DH centre so it fails at both, and then closes for no reason during bad weather, where's all other trail centres manage to stay open!

If your coming from the south, visit Gawton, if your from the North head in the opposite direction to Wales!

right have now zipped up my flame proof jacket and have put the kettle on!

Lactic
    Free Member

Probably not. The new ridge trail is quite fun for a quick spin but not much of a challenge. It's only 9 miles IRC. Most of the best stuff is off the map, only really accessible with a local yokel to guide you, plus the FC have been blitzing some of the unofficial stuff lately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Haldon used to be good and has the potential to be great, but interfering FC bods have put an end to that.

Whereabouts are you coming from? A mate of mine is organising a group ride on the 28th on Dartmoor.

Del

hmm. without a local? probably not. there's a lot more to haldon than the marked trails, but like everywhere i imagine right now, it's a bit of a 5hit-fest. whether or not you see that as a challenge or a curse probably depends upon your disposition. the new trail, though a bit dull, is at least mostly firm, and ridden at speed can be fun. better than ploughing a furrow through peat bog anyway!
    i enjoy riding there, and for local trails it's just the job for me – 32 mins ride away. 2-3 times week at the mo. not worth going anywhere else to get blown away and sink into the bog that is dartmoor. only other place i'd go right now would be quantocks. woodbury is kind of ok, and i usually enjoy a ride there when i go, but wouldn't go there through choice ( only go if mates are going and there's nowt else on ).
    i can see it not being everyone's cup of tea, but one man's 'doesn't know what it want's to be' is another man's 'variety' i suppose. 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

not worth an hours drive I'm afraid.
    the FC are calling for tenders for a skills area and another route so maybe in a years time…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I think it wants to be a family venue.

Del

I think it wants to be a family venue.

indeed. all the FC's reports show that 'our' sort of user group is in the minority though, so they have to cater for that which will draw the numbers. i doubt you will see many centres of the likes of afan or cwmcarn being built by the FC in future. so long as the unofficial building we continue to be allowed to ride the ground i don't see that there is a massive problem TBH.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Holdon as a Family venu makes sense I suppose.

If you want a fix of SouthWest man made trails visit Gawton, ride HSD * 10 go home and smile. If my memory recalls correctly Wembry common just outside Exmouth, drains quite quickly could be worth visiting there?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Wembury, Quantocks and Horner Woods on Exmoor are all good Wet weather spots. However, the rain is supposed to stop down this way tomorrow. The wind is also FINALLY set to go offshore!

carlphillips
    Free Member

sm you have mail.

xc steve, im not out tonight, cannot be fagged with this sh*tty weather again..!!!

Del

woodbury. meh. i definitely wouldn't travel an hour to ride there, but that's me.
    FM, put up a shout on here if you plan to come down and i'm sure someone will show you around.

bassspine
    Free Member

Del, I'm barely prepared to cross the Exe to ride Woodbury to be honest!

FieldMarshall

So I think that's a NO then!!

Thanks for your feedback.

bassspine
    Free Member

It's a shame. Haldon used to be better before the FC started 'improving' things

Christowkid
    Free Member

Just talked to a colleague who regularly takes school kids up their as part of the school's mtb club. I asked him what he thought of the new trails, and he was unimpressed. Said it was boring now. Also he parked up on the top triangle as he'd done for years and got a right mouthful from a holier than thou warden…..
    seems like it's a cash grab and family venue as said….

As an aside, recent news items suggest serious money being put into certain 'mtb trails' in the southwest, but again it sounds like it's for the family oriented trails as opposed to something rivaling Welsh/Scots trails.
    cheers
    Q

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is Haldon forest worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.