Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Is GX Eagle much heavier than XT?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Was interested in GX but am hearing the cassette and mech is pretty hefty compared with a much lighter Shimano equivalent.

LAT

But, you can’t have a 2x eagle. And, on a more serious note, with xt you have the delight of using shimano shifters rather than horror of sram.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol 2x11sp for people who need a massive overlap in gears they never use…

Shifters personal preference but Shimano are not for me – XT just seems like poor value to me when compared to 11 or 12sp sram

rickmeister

One persons horror is another’s delight…. Michael Macintyres Big Show, for instance….

I’m much liking SRAM gx eagle and gx 10-42 11spd…. Snick snick snick

nickfrog
    Free Member

But, you can’t have a 2x eagle. And, on a more serious note, with xt you have the delight of using shimano shifters rather than horror of sram.

XT M8000 shifter action is poor (at best) IME. You’ll also get the delights of a medieval cassette and poorly designed clutch.

I am normally a Shimano fan but SRAM GX is soooo much better in every way than XT, it’s utterly bizarre how Shimano have let themselves fall behind.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for GX. I’ve been impressed with my stuff, although I run an X01 shifter because you can adjust the lower trigger.

IME, SRAM have got Shimano beaten with the 11 speed stuff. It feels better in terms of shift action and just sees to work better (I was really disappointed with the M8000 stuff I’ve ridden).

mattbee

Whereas I moved from XX Sram over to XTR when I went 11 spd having been a SRAM user since the days of Gripshift X Ray 8 spd.
    The shifter action is way nicer on the Shimano in my opinion.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Second hand top end 11 speed from sram. Super light and loads of range. Loads of bargains on ebay

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Yup, I love the shifter action on 11sp GX. Can’t see me ever using Shimano again tbh, SRAM just seem better for proper wide range 1x.

poah
    Free Member

SRAM is an industrial clunk compared to xt. Using Eagle means a long mech and a cassette that is pretty expensive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the price of the cassette depends how long it lasts, the eagle is steel so should last well which means cheaper long term

aazlad
    Free Member

Shimano has always been the go to for me. 11speed XT on my previous bike which had several annoyances but was bearable. I put it down to a trade off for 11speed and a single chainring.

The SRAM GX Eagle 12 on my new bike blows my XT setup out of the water. Significantly sharper shifting in both directions. No strange ghost shifts when you back pedal half a rotation. The chain stays on coming down steep rocky descents. It’s easy to set up, it doesn’t need readjusting every few hundred KMs. I can’t compare the wear rate yet but like for like when they’re both worn in and set up Eagle wins for me. I’m a convert. Bravo SRAM.

aazlad
    Free Member

I don’t get the relative weights issue with components such as this. I really think we’ve been suckered by the industry when it come to marginal weight savings.

In my experience adding half a kilo (i.e. dual ply tyres) to a big travel bike makes very little difference to how the bike climbs. Maybe 20 seconds on a 10 minute climb. But descend on that bike with decent tyres and it rolls better, is more stable and you’re much less likely to puncture if you clatter a rock. I would pick reliability and performance over weight any day (to a point). 11 grams is inconsequential.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1

But also

While I’d choose reliability over modest weight gains you do have to consider the cumulative additional weight if you don’t keep an eye on things.

I look at the items that I really, really don’t want to compromise on then try and claw back that extra weight in other areas. I’ll probably end up with a similar overall weight.

RoterStern
    Free Member

For 1×11 I find the Shimano range of gears too limiting. When I’m riding around the local trails I’m only using the last two sprockets (which also increases wear on the cassette) as it’s pretty flat round here and when I hit the real mountains such as the Alps I find the smallest gear too big for extended climbing. Unless Shimano come up with something else I would also choose SRAM for 1×11.

sillyoldman

Shimano and SRAM 1×11 ranges are the same (11-46 vs 10-42). Sram only has a greater range with 12 speed.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member
    For 1×11 I find the Shimano range of gears too limiting. When I’m riding around the local trails I’m only using the last two sprockets (which also increases wear on the cassette) as it’s pretty flat round here and when I hit the real mountains such as the Alps I find the smallest gear too big for extended climbing. Unless Shimano come up with something else I would also choose SRAM for 1×11.

You Sir area fine example of someone who either needs to swap front rings depending on where you’re riding or fit a double.

heliuscc
    Free Member

Have to say I thought I’d find GX eagle rubbish. I’ve always loved shimano.

GX eagle now on 2 bikes, one replacing XT and one replacing GX 11sp.

I think it’s fab and I’m not going back to fron derailleurs or shimano until they sort their shit out.

Haven’t gone GX for cranks, one is X01 and one is XX1 fat bike version.

Northwind

Trailrider Jim – Member

Was interested in GX but am hearing the cassette and mech is pretty hefty compared with a much lighter Shimano equivalent.

There is no Shimano equivalent.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I ran the numbers on this in August when specing my new bike.

If you include the cranks, gx eagle works out lighter than 11spd xt

chakaping
    Free Member

The smart options are really 11sp XT with the GX 10-42t cassette vs. GX Eagle with whatever crank you’ve already got, surely?

Then XT probably edges it weight wise, but the additional range on Eagle is well worth the extra grams if you need it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yout Sir area fine example of someone who either needs to swap front rings depending on where you’re riding or fit a double.

Replacing chain rings every time I want to go and ride is way too much faff but I will be chainring to a double once the funds are available. It’s slightly compounded by the fact it’s di2 stuff that I am using.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Replacing chain rings every time I want to go and ride is way too much faff but I will be chainring to a double once the funds are available. It’s slightly compounded by the fact it’s di2 stuff that I am using.

isn’t that just a simple case of a firmware update to configure the syncro-shift from a single button / lever?

vincienup
    Free Member

Shimano and SRAM 1×11 ranges are the same (11-46 vs 10-42). Sram only has a greater range with 12 speed.

Ranges may be the same, but they’re fundamentally displaced by that 11t top on Shimano, so you need to run a bigger ring up front if you wanted speed, which in turn raises your lowest gear, pushing you toward the even more horrible 11-46.

I can’t understand why Shimano have shot themselves in the foot so badly here. Yes, they have the famous three-year cycle that stops for no one, but SRAM 1×11 is plenty old enough now that they have to have analysed it and decided to ignore the changes. Interpreting from reviews of Di2 and die-hard 1x users comments that synchro-shift is actually ok, I conclude Shimano have given up competition in mechanical drivetrains and see an electronic future.

In the meantime, we have tribal splits and ergonomic preferences. For myself, SRAM triggers certainly do not represent any sort of Hell, and I very much appreciate MMX as opposed to iSpec due to the ability to actually put the trigger in a useful place. On my Shimano bike, while the XT trigger technically is capable of dual-release, it’s rendered impossible due to the location relative to the brake lever, so it’s strictly push and no pull.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sram must have a patent on the XD cassette design, nobody else offers one AFAIK.

Shimano will understandably be very reluctant to introduce another new freehub standard to get a 10t sprocket themselves.

They’ve been snookered a bit when you think about it.

MSP

Shimano shifter and derailleur, sram 10-42 cassette for the win.

sillyoldman

Vincienup – if you increase chainring size to compensate for the 11T vs 10T, then the resulting gear in 46T is the same as you’d have had with a 42T on the SRAM set up with smaller ring – same range. Bigger rings/sprockets are more efficient, so no downside other than clearance, which realistically isn’t an issue either.
    I,be got 11-42 and 11-40 on my Bikes, so not personally tried the 11-46,but form friends that have, they like the 11-46 option – tighter spaced gears where you want them to be, and a bail out gear at the low end.

The SRAM cassettes at the high end are pretty awesome bits of kit in terms of construction (with a price tag to match), but I can’t stomach the shifters and mechs.

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member

Sram must have a patent on the XD cassette design, nobody else offers one AFAIK

E13 offer XD cassettes. I think XD might even be an open standard.

Shimano will understandably be very reluctant to introduce another new freehub standard to get a 10t sprocket themselves.

Pinkbike did a preview of Shimano 12 where they suggested more than 1 new freehub design might be coming …. xtr different to xt, etc. Sounded awful

MSP – Member

Shimano shifter and derailleur, sram 10-42 cassette for the win.

+1

honourablegeorge

rumors have Shimano also employing a new freehub, and using a smaller version of their Centerlock threaded lockring to attach the cassette. Also, news that many won’t welcome, there could actually be a few different 12-speed freehubs from Shimano to suit different setups.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/shimanos-12-speed-xtr-drivetrain-and-3-other-rumors-from-eurobike.html

poah
    Free Member

I run a 30t 11-46. If I can’t climb with that I’m walking.

chakaping
    Free Member

E13 offer XD cassettes. I think XD might even be an open standard.

You are right (but I’d need to remortgage the house to buy one).

But if it is an open standard why aren’t Sunrace or anyone trying to sell me a nice 10-46t 11sp XD cassette for a reasonable price?

🙁

honourablegeorge

They probably cant do it to compete with the price of GX 11 sp

russyh
    Free Member

But if it is an open standard why aren’t Sunrace or anyone trying to sell me a nice 10-46t 11sp XD cassette for a reasonable price?

I thought exactly the same thing. In fact I presumed they would offer an XD 46t cassette with a better spread than that awful XT 46t thing. I couldn’t find anything and wondered if someone was missing a trick. My friend has the E13 11 speed cassette it’s frankly a rediculous price and requires a specific tool not to mention creaks and moans something chronic. I have just resigned myself to upgrading to GX eagle over the next few weeks. I can buy it with out the horrible cranks for about £260 from CRC which seems descent enough value

chakaping
    Free Member

They probably cant do it to compete with the price of GX 11 sp

Yeah, and it might not have the longevity either.

I’d like a bigger sprocket but finances dictate sticking with 11sp (three MTBs) so I’ll just try to toughen my legs up a bit more.

And maybe look for a reasonably priced 28t chainring.

TheGingerOne

I’ve always preferred Shimano and have never had reason not to buy, use or recommend XT.
    I am, however, really disappointed with XT M8000 on my Hei Hei. The shifter action is much heavier than I like to go up the block compared to anything I have had in some 25 years of using xt and the chain dropping off the largest 2 sprockets at any hint of a back pedal when you least want it is a disgrace. I’m close to calling it not fit for purpose.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

rumors have Shimano also employing a new freehub, and using a smaller version of their Centerlock threaded lockring to attach the cassette. Also, news that many won’t welcome, there could actually be a few different 12-speed freehubs from Shimano to suit different setups.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/shimanos-12-speed-xtr-drivetrain-and-3-other-rumors-from-eurobike.html

* Northwind is out of the office, as he had to make an unplanned trip to Japan, to burn Shimano to the ground *

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member

I’d like a bigger sprocket but finances dictate sticking with 11sp

Someone (Oneup?) do a larger cog to fit XD cassettes to increase range….

Edit.. here but only 44t and pricy

44T X-Cog Sprocket [ Sram 1×11 ]

BoardinBob

Sunrace do an 11-50 Shimano cassette

vincienup
    Free Member

There a couple of extenders that add on to XD hubs. I was under the impression it was an open standard too, although it certainly wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer didn’t want to use a standard created by someone else.

Silly, that’s exactly what I was saying btw: if add a bigger ring to 11-42 Shimano to bring the top speed up and want to keep the bottom gearing I’m forced onto an 11-46 which I don’t want. I’m happy with SRAM anyway, but it just irks me when made up stuff is thrown at it in criticism.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Is GX Eagle much heavier than XT?’ is closed to new replies.