Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is fox worth it?
  • ali69er
    Free Member

Hi,

I am looking at a new FS 140mm bike to replace my 100mm cross country. The options in my price range seem to be RS with own brand rear for about £1500 like a Kona Tanuki Deluxe or a Stumpy FSR with fox, for about £500 extra, is it worth spending the money. As much as I would like to I can’t go for SC, Yeti etc, could also get a Commencal Meta 5.5 but am always put off the reliability issues.

Paceman
    Free Member

Frame design, geometry, weight, stiffness and how the shock is tuned will have more affect on ride quality than the brand of the shock. If you can do some demo rides that would be your best bet, if not I’d go for a proven design within your price range.

ali69er
    Free Member

Basically, I have very few options, the only way to try the Kona is around a car park, the stumpy will clearly come out better because I can get a demo bike from them, but it is another £500

HermanShake
    Free Member

Would it not be cheaper to get the Kona and a Fox shock than spend £500 more just to have one? Then sell the own brand one to recoup a little, a Fox shock should be available for under £200 there’s no need for the extra £300.

I’d personally build up from new and used parts to make a higher spec bike than go totally new.

boxelder

The kona got a glowing review in the print mag of this here news corporation.

ali69er
    Free Member

I saw the review and it was strong, just always saw Kona as a lower brand and it does only have a secktor up front, but as is said, a fox shock or even decent RS for the rear would not be that pricey

neninja
    Free Member

The likes of Canyon are worth looking at too. They’ve got a few bargain bikes in their outlet section at the moment too if they happen to be in your size.

Or YT Industries
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=162&x15a71=lgko7r9efrq5lniimdgmo6jbbagpbpoq

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=210&x15a71=lgko7r9efrq5lniimdgmo6jbbagpbpoq

ali69er
    Free Member

Sadly in New Zealand the choices are a bit more limited and having bought an internet only bike in the past as a starting point I don’t wish to do that again.

neninja
    Free Member

Or Giant Trance X2 at Pauls Cycles for £1700

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p3506

Edit – oops posted before I saw your location

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d take a more serious look at the Commencal. If it’s one of the 2010 onwards bikes, they resolved the issues & they are always regarded as one of the best riding bikes in that class.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Vote for a Canyon here, they look amazing and the spec is brilliant for the price!!

slinkybike
    Free Member

If you are in nz then I would be asking around about the differences between the backup on the products. My 2cents the modular nature of rs make them a good option for the home mechanic i.e it’s easy to do lower service’s and even full strip downs with some patience.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is fox worth it?’ is closed to new replies.