Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Is eating red meat everyday bad for you?
  • beefheart
    Free Member

Is there any scientific evidence for this, or is it thought to be bad for you in the way that butter or eggs used to be?

I’ve been working away a lot and tend to have a steak most nights- which has to be healthier than other menu options (pizza, burger, goats cheese something etc).

perchypanther
    Free Member

Depends.

Are you a dinosaur?

beefheart
    Free Member

No.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Any kind of apex predator?

molgrips
    Free Member

Actual meat – probably not.

‘Processed’ ie cured or preserved – yes.

beefheart
    Free Member

I like to think I’m at the top of the food chain.

trickydisco
    Free Member

worth reading this

World Health Organisation, meat & cancer

I think it depends on the type of meat. Organic grass fed meat is going to be better than your mcdonalds meat which has been fed on grain

and

Red meat: Human and planet health

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    Depends.

Are you a dinosaur?

What happens if he’s a diplodocus? I think your question lacks the necessary specificity to be pertinent.

perchypanther
    Free Member

….in which case, eat whatever the hell you like.

Law of the Jungle innit.

shermer75
    Free Member

Which one? I’m a Chicken Cottage man myself

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think your question lacks the necessary specificity to be pertinent.

Merely the opening salvo in an investigatory chain of questioning.

Next question would have been “Are you a Diplodocus?”

scruff9252

Are you having chips everyday with your steak and accompanied with a nice bottle of red wine?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Daily Red Meat can be part of a ‘healthy balanced diet’ – well, in the UK at least, US beef can contain growth hormones, US says they’re safe, EU banned them, US said it was purely a economic measure, EU says they’re bad for you.

Depends on what else you’re eating – I wouldn’t live on Beef Burgers and Chips every day.

beefheart
    Free Member

No alcohol. A few fries and watercress salad. And a big **** off steak.

wwaswas

Merely the opening salvo in an investigatory chain of questioning.

Next question would have been “Are you a Diplodocus?”

You are Arthur Shappey out of Cabin Pressure and I claim my £5.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I suspect in our modern life we eat far too much meat. Meat is a far more efficient food and the switch from vegetarians to meat eaters was the key to us developing our brains and evolving further. If you look at any other meat eating animal in nature they will eat meat, then not eat for days or even weeks before getting hungry again and going out to hunt. I suspect in our caveman days we’d eat meat every couple of weeks, then forage on veg, seeds and nuts in between before going out and hunting again.

I suspect eating meat every day is not bad for you as such, but the volume of meat most eat and the quality (or lack of) is the problem.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“Are you a Diplodocus?”

Obviously he’s not, they’ve got elephants feet so wouldn’t be able to hold the steak knife would they?

wwaswas

Could a T-Rex actually get a fork from a plate to it’s mouth though?

perchypanther
    Free Member

they’ve got elephants feet so wouldn’t be able to hold the steak knife would they?

You wouldn’t want a steak knife for an Elephants foot.

You’d want a Kebab Sword

miketually
    Free Member

Meat is a far more efficient food and the switch from vegetarians to meat eaters was the key to us developing our brains and evolving further.

I thought it was cooking food which made the biggest difference? You can get far more calories/goodness from cooked carrots than raw carrots.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Could a T-Rex actually get a fork from a plate to it’s mouth though

Put a fork on a plate, put your hands behind your back and, whilst keeping them there, get the fork in your mouth.*

Easy.

*be careful of the tines

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You’d want a Kebab Sword

No i wouldn’t. And for the record i never want to hear about your meat sword.

beefheart
    Free Member

So, if I’m not a caveman, not a diplodocus or a T-Rex, have grass fed, medium rare steak everyday, not washed down with a bottle of red, I’ll be OK?

miketually
    Free Member

You’d be better drinking half the bottle of red than none of it. Red wine’s a health drink.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll be OK

Matter of opinion

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes

We have not evoled to eat such a meat heavy diet, in particular red meat. In general “we” eat too much especially meat and excersize too little

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cut out the carbs and just eat a rare steak, you’ll be fine.

Argentinians have been doing just that for 100 years or so, can’t see them complaining much.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So, if I’m not a caveman, not a diplodocus or a T-Rex, have grass fed, medium rare steak everyday, not washed down with a bottle of red, I’ll be OK?

worked for me last hitch when there was a lack of chicken or palateable other meat …. and the veg was pretty rank too.

Dinner every night pretty much consisted of bbq medium rare sirloin.

didnt do my guts any good though , constantly bloated and when i needed to poo …. they were some giant poos.

but im not dead….. just being sure to mix it up this hitch now that white meat is availible again AND batatas doce are back in stock 😀

somouk
    Free Member

I think the biggest issue with red meat is the time it takes to process it. Eating it constantly would probably leave you in a constant state of bloatedness trying to get rid of it all the time.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have not evoled to eat such a meat heavy diet, in particular red meat.

I think that’s fairly contentious isn’t it?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Is eating red meat everyday bad for you?

Only if it’s still alive. Otherwise fill yer boots.

tails
    Free Member

Might not be bad for you but could be for other animals if the food is being transported a long distance. New Zealand lamb FFS might as well melt the ice caps and shoot the polar bears yourself.

chvck
    Free Member

I think that this is one of those questions that presently lacks a yes or no answer, it depends who you ask. I think that it also depends who you are to some degree.

onlysteel
    Free Member

So, any recipes for polar bears?

chvck
    Free Member

I hear the liver is good 😈

ossify

tails – Member

Might not be bad for you but could be for other animals if the food is being transported a long distance. New Zealand lamb FFS might as well melt the ice caps and shoot the polar bears yourself.
    Scaremongering. There are no polar bears in New Zealand 🙄

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Scaremongering. There are no polar bears in New Zealand

But there are lambs. Makes you think.

nickc

the switch from vegetarians to meat eaters was the key to us developing our brains and evolving further

Hom Sap are not “meat eaters”. We have the same gut as our primate cousins , ie a long one evolved for fruit and veg. There are enough brain size/development theories to fill a library from social grouping to tool use to walking upright to cooking their food. but probably not: “we started eating meat”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Humans have evolved to eat a huge range of stuff. Probably a key to our success. So arguing over a particular foodstuff on evolutionary grounds is probably rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Is eating red meat everyday bad for you?’ is closed to new replies.