Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is driving through Glossop / M67 / 60 / 61 going to be a nightmare at 6pm?
  • Pieface

My initial thoughts are that its going to be a complete PITA along ALL sections of this route, however I am awrae that it is the school holidays and that it may be ok, however I don’t have much luck with this route at the best of times so have an alternative up my sleeve.

Heading to the Lakes from Sheffield and M1 / A66 is very tempting.

Where’s a good website that acts like a crystal ball to tell me the best route?

philfive
    Free Member

M67/M60/M66/M65/M6

Avoid the M1 and M62 due to the road works

docrobster
    Free Member

Scenic route? A629- huddersfield- halifax- keighley- skipton- A65 to kendal?
    Did this once took forever but at least you keep moving.

If you are heading to the north lakes M1 A66 is probably just as quick

cp

Where in the lakes? I always go m1 a66 to north lakes from sheff.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’m in Vegas and the local traffic is no different than normal if thats any help.

Rik
    Free Member

Do you not beileve me pie face.

Will be sub 2.5hrs from Sheffield to Ambleside via snake/Glossop even at 6:00

But its not me driving – so don’t really mind either way. It always just seems to take forever to get to scotch corner

nosedive
    Free Member

depends where you are in Sheffield mate. If you set off at 6 even at warp speed you wont be in Glossop until 6.25 and the traffic will be starting to die down. M67 / M60 will be ok by the time you are on it.

depends where you are in Sheff though and where you are going to in the lakes. If you are in north Sheff and going to Keswick I would go M1 / A66

Pieface

Plan is to go A57 then M67 / 60 / 61 / M6.

I hate that route and just have visions of being stuck in jams, especially on the bit where the M62 joins the M60.

Planning to leave Sheffield at about 5 so will hit Glossop about 6. The benefit of this route is chips in Ambleside, not so sure about on the A66 route.

Although the nice newly re-surfaced A1 is now national speed limit all the way….

tracknicko
    Free Member

driving through glossop at any time is a pain in the ass.

we normally hit it at about 6.35am and by then you can be queuing for an hour.

god awful bit of road.

BadlyWiredDog

driving through glossop at any time is a pain in the ass.

we normally hit it at about 6.35am and by then you can be queuing for an hour.

Yeah, but 6pm is against the commuting flow and it won’t be that bad. You can always cut round the back via Monk’s Road, Charlesworth, Broadbottom and Hattersley to the top of the M67. The bit of the M60 on the east of Manchester pretty much always flows okay, I’d say the only really crap bit of that route is the section between the M60 and the bottom of the M61 which can be awful.

I see Glossop’s traffic issues as welcome barrier to car commuters and it stops the place being over-run with STWers relocating to the NW 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

I see Glossop’s traffic issues as welcome barrier to car commuters and it stops the place being over-run with STWers relocating to the NW

being full of cars stops it filling with cars?

genius!

docrobster
    Free Member

Just found out directions on google maps now gives time in current traffic as well as best time. right now (20 to 5 on friday)from my house in s10 to ambleside it says 2 hrs 56 against a best time of 2 hrs 31.
    Going a629/a65 it says 2hrs 39 best time but no traffic info.
    I just seems like longer when you’re in glossop

BadlyWiredDog

being full of cars stops it filling with cars?

No, the bottleneck stops it being full of commuters rather than cars. I know it’s hard to grasp. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is driving through Glossop / M67 / 60 / 61 going to be a nightmare at 6pm?’ is closed to new replies.